Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
That was my suggestion earlier in the thread. It's worth it to avoid the city traffic and those terrible roads
84 to 87 to 287 adds nearly 40 miles to the trip. We had no traffic around the city except right at the Tappan Zee. Well, and on the turnpike, but we would have hit that regardless of which way we went.

I can't wait for the truck lane expansion to be done next year. That's going to make life so much easier.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, definitely longer going that way.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
If there were a Rough road avoidance on a GPS you would most certainly be routed around the city. Unfortunately it probably couldn't calculate a route to anywhere in this economy!

We camp quite often East of Philly off I-95 in Freehold. There's a county park called Turkey Swamp that has become our home away from home for local camping. Water and Electric and an available dump station. There's a lake with boat rentals and miles of hiking trails.
Turkey Swamp says tents & trailers, and I've seen people with MHs say they can't get in there. There are no public parks in NJ that we can find that will take our coach, per their own web sites. :(
Old 07-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Spruce Run Recreation Area in Clinton, NJ will fit your coach. I have been there with my previous MH which was a 35 footer. Only thing you have to watch out for is a low branch here and there.

Site 17 is a great site on the water.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 38 foot 12'10" tall Class A with three slides and I can maneuver through all but the A loop but that's only for tents and small trailers anyway. The E loop is best with E-10 and E-12 being the prime spots. Our favorite is E-10. All the sites are pull through and parallel to the road so each spot has it's own private yard.

One thing I've learned about state parks is that if you think you can fit, they'll let you make a reservation. If you reserve online and you know you'll fit in a spot designated for a 20 foot trailer then you list yours as a 20 foot trailer. Again, they'll let you in at the gate if you tell them you walked it and know you will fit.

Spruce run site 17 is awesome, right on the reservoir and a spacious spot. No dogs though so I've only walked it. NJ... go figure! PA has the best selection of state parks. Take a ride up to Promise Land State park and drive through their Pickerel Point campground if you want to see what a real State Park should look like!

I use the off season to visit all the local spots and have eliminated more from my list than I've accepted. I favor state and county parks just because a lot of the privately owned parks make their money off seasonal sites and most take on the appearance of run down trailer parks over time.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeth66 View Post
84 to 87 to 287 adds nearly 40 miles to the trip. We had no traffic around the city except right at the Tappan Zee. Well, and on the turnpike, but we would have hit that regardless of which way we went.

I can't wait for the truck lane expansion to be done next year. That's going to make life so much easier.
Yes it does add mileage to the trip. I would rather drive an extra half hour than sit in any traffic on a road that beats the daylights out of my coach.