Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2022, 12:04 PM   #1

Spokane to Phoenix

I think I asked this once but search is not helpful. First "big" commute to winter headquarters.

2 simple choices as we want to end up on the Salt Lake side for Grand Canyon, Zion etc. Time is not a huge factor since it's about technically an hour difference.

395 south through Kennewick or I-90 the Montana route to 15.

Thanks in advance, mostly concerned about making this first trip stress free as possible.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2022, 12:35 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
We’ve done both routes and they are both relatively easy drives. You will have one significant climb just east of Pendleton but other than that nothing major. The drive through Montana is much prettier and there is a nice small CG in Dillon and a good steakhouse if you stop there.

Nick
2014 Allegro Redk
Old 10-15-2022, 12:50 PM   #3

I-90/I-15 is the easiest but you'll still have a couple passes on I-90. We enjoy 395.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 12:54 PM   #4

I want to add I am pulling a full sized Ram with my 330 Cat so wondering if avoiding the two passes on I-90 side makes more sense ?
Old 10-15-2022, 03:18 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I just checked my Mountain Directory West and the climb just east of Pendleton is about 12 miles at about a 6% grade and is called Cabbage Hill.

On the route through Montana you will first encounter Lookout Pass at the ID/MT border and a 6% grade for about 2 miles and then 5% grade for about a mile.

Guess it depends on what you prefer, a long pull once or two descents of nothing greater than 6%. Both are nice drives.

Nick
2014 Allegro Red
Old 10-15-2022, 05:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
I just checked my Mountain Directory West and the climb just east of Pendleton is about 12 miles at about a 6% grade and is called Cabbage Hill.

On the route through Montana you will first encounter Lookout Pass at the ID/MT border and a 6% grade for about 2 miles and then 5% grade for about a mile.

Guess it depends on what you prefer, a long pull once or two descents of nothing greater than 6%. Both are nice drives.

Nick
2014 Allegro Red
You are on my Christmas Card list, thanks for the helpful post. I have gone both ways by car and agree with some that Montana is the more scenic. I might have to come back in February unfortunately so likely not the passes that direction. Or I may store large marge and toad it back.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:25 PM   #7

I decided to pivot to the Oregon route due to the weather and I got a late jump due to a storing the boat issue. The things we have to put up with. The Pendleton grade was a 45 mph drag with a coach full of every concievable thing I could stuff in it, full water and my full sized toad also stuffed full of E-bikes etc. 'Ol large marge with her meager 330 Cat did not miss a beat, temps stayed perfect and now we are at Immigrant Heritage State Park listening to the 18 wheelers. I was struggling getting backed in since it was dark and raining in the super tight tree lined spaces and some fellow Vet old timer threw a radio through my window and talked me right back into the space. "We gotta stick together g-dang it" the old timer yelled at me when he walked back to his 1968 class A lol. His Mrs. waved through the window good night and we are snug as bugs. Gotta love us those crazy vets that RV huh. South to Boise tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
.... late jump due to a storing the boat issue. ....Immigrant Heritage State Park .....South to Boise tomorrow.
My boat is near Wallula Gap and my first rest stop is where you are at now.

I find driving Salt Lake City in a MH very stressful so I avoid it.

Took US 93 south a month ago.

A few years ago we did Zion NP from the west and then back to 93 to go north. Very little traffic.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:56 AM   #9

We got a surprise snow storm last night, the weather report changed literally as we pulled in. We have two nights here may to wait but it's not looking much better tomorrow. Be careful.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:10 PM   #10

For those on edge of seat, we slushed our way out and made it to Farewell Bend State park which is very nice - right on the river which is very low this time of year. Power, showers and water all on, for the low fee of zero dinero thanks Oregon. May just have to stay an extra day.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:02 PM   #11

Quote:
For those on edge of seat, we slushed our way out and made it to Farewell Bend State park which is very nice - right on the river which is very low this time of year. Power, showers and water all on, for the low fee of zero dinero thanks Oregon. May just have to stay an extra day.
Nice park, stayed there two years ago. Staying an extra day may be a good idea.

Heading south can be tricky this time of year. One year we are managing to stay ahead of the snow. In a very lonely rest stop in Nevada 500 feet below the snow line. I planned to stop for the night because it would be warmer the next day. Rita did not want to get snowed in.

Driving at night in white fluffy snow at 25 mph because of visibility. Followed by running the generator for A/C because it was hot near death valley.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:06 PM   #12

Quote:

We stay there it's a nice place, going to NV this were one of our first stop.
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:10 PM   #13

Great comments thank you all. We are well provisioned and looking forward to the next legs of the trip. We are learning what is reasonable and safe for distance in a day, and prefer low n slow and the extra day rather than pressing it.
Old 10-24-2022, 02:45 PM   #14

This time of year From Spokane to Kennewick the south on 84 to 82, go west to Portland The 205 to bypass Portland I5 to LA 205 to bypass LA to 10 to Phoenix. The Weather is better on this. Siskiyou Pass does get snow but less often than the others. You have Grapevine before LA.
If Siskiyou is snowing you can at Grants Pass go over to the California coast.
I will drive home in late November from Houston to Seattle. I will check the weather as I drive. I came down the the Salt Lake, Moab, Amarillo route last month. Shorter drive but I did not bring my chains, decided to not gamble with Snow. My WGO View on a Sprinter is not my Jeep.