Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #1

St George, Utah

Going from Baltimore to St George, Utah to meet our Adventure Caravans Great Circle Tour. Our first organized tour, first time into Utah. At first glance, I-70 seems best, but I'm open to options. Traveling the end of August.
blevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #2

Overall, I-70 is as good a route as any, and probably the most direct. However, there are some pretty aggressive grades west of Denver on I-70. Up and down, with curves and probably construction, particularly the section through the Glenwood Canyon. If you're comfortable with up and down hills, and some tighter interstate turns, it's probably your best bet. If you prefer a flatter route, you could head down towards I-40 somewhere around St. Louis, and take it west towards Kingman, AZ and then head up US93 towards the Hoover Dam and Las Vegas area, and then choose a lazy route north to I-15 and take it back east towards St. George.
We've done the Glenwood Canyon more than a few times, and it can be hard on a motorhome, imo. But it's the most direct route for us for where we like to go, so we bite the bullet. It is pretty spectacular, the engineering of the interstate through there is quite unique, but it can be a white knuckle drive in places.
Here's a video of the Glenwood Canyon section if you've got a few minutes. Someone felt it was worth putting up on youtube.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #3

X2 on Winterbagoal's comments with the exception of "white knuckle drive." There is no need for white knuckles if one gears down and slows down. It is all multi-lane interstate but the grade west of Denver is long and pretty steep and so is the grade west of Green River. We have even had a dusting of snow in August at the top. The scenery along I-70 is "spectac", as some in the Republik of Canuckistan like to say!
We make this trip from SoCal to Denver frequently since one of our sons lives there. Campgrounds are pretty scarce near the freeways in Denver but there are couple in Golden, CO. We have been staying in Fruita, CO on the Western Slope going and coming for convenient overnight stays.
Regardless of your religious beliefs, you may find the reconstructed Mormon fort in the "Y" of I-70 and I-15 to be interesting. The history was surprising, the grounds are lovely and the docents are welcoming and gracious. Your visit is free and our host would not even accept a donation.
Have a fun, safe adventure!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:34 AM   #4

My "white knuckle" comments were more related to the driving habits of those who may be headed in the same direction, along that route. Sure, you can slow down as suggested, but others often don't, and seeing a semi truck in your mirrors bearing down on you at speed, on a downhill, approaching one of the 45mph curves, can be a little unnerving.
The last time we did it east to west 2 years ago, a long uphill stretch of it was under construction, single lane (with the dreaded zipper merge) and that slowed everyone down to a crawl.
That was a relaxing drive. DW had blood flow in her knuckles that time.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

St George, Utah

So far, I-70 sounds best. I drove West to East in a 30' gasser pulling an 18' box trailer. We had LOTS of time to enjoy the scenery. So we got our DP and are ready to tackle the West. Now we have 6 speeds, and engine brake and buckets of torque. Wanted to get a trip planner from
FMCA, but they don't do that anymore, unless you buy another "benefit".
Old 07-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevtr View Post
Going from Baltimore to St George, Utah to meet our Adventure Caravans Great Circle Tour. Our first organized tour, first time into Utah. At first glance, I-70 seems best, but I'm open to options. Traveling the end of August.
What's the mission/ just A to B?

You do Know there is a lot of Good Stuff between the Two!

We have do the trip from Maryland to Colorado Often so I have a few favorites.

MAP - https://binged.it/2mAj7CI

We go through the Cut in Maryland - then to West Virginia up to Washington, Pa - across to Hannibal - RT 36 to Denver - Golden Clear Creek - RT 6 to Idaho Springs - I70 to RT 91 to Leadville.Camp Hale/Red Cliff/Minturn - Jump off I-79 to follow RT 128 along the Colorado River to Moab then On to St George.

Hope this helps,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
This is a fun road. Yes it does have some steep grades. It is traveled everyday by lots of RVs and semis, with no problems. Yes you might slow down on some of the se grades, but so is everyone else. The area from Dillon to Glenwood Springs is super beautiful. Glenwood canyon is gorgeous.
Enjoy this trip.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
What's the mission/ just A to B?

You do Know there is a lot of Good Stuff between the Two!

We have done the trip from Maryland to Colorado Often so I have a few favorites along the way.

MAP - https://binged.it/2A2f2Rf

We go through the Cut in Maryland - I-68 - then to West Virginia up to Washington, PA - I-79 - across the I's to Hannibal - RT 36 to Denver - RT 58 to Golden, Clear Creek - RT 6 to Idaho Springs - I-70 to RT 91 to Leadville.Camp Hale/Red Cliff/Minturn - Jump off I-70 to follow RT 128 along the Colorado River to Moab then On to St George.

Hope this helps,

Had to make some corrections - sorry did not proof read.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #9

I-70 through Colorado & Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevtr View Post

I-70 is the most spectacular drive. LOVE that road!!

Going any other route from your A to B would be a huge mistake.

Enjoy your trip.
GC Rapidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #10

St George, Utah

We are certainly looking forward to this trip, and the Grand Circle tour after we get to Utah. After the tour we are deposited in Camp Verde, AZ, so I have to ponder the route back to MD. But not yet. Thanks for all the responses and advice.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #11

You tend to see a few folks burn their brakes out from time to time coming down the grades. Just take it easy and use everything else to slow down and use the brakes sparingly and you will be fine. We have made it many times with no problems except the other traffic. Going East the traffic may stop and start as you near Denver.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote