Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 06:03 AM   #29

With CCW licenses from Illinois, Florida and Utah there are only a handfull of states where I cannot legaly carry a concealed firearm. I see no reason to visit the states where I cannot carry. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 06:31 AM   #30

Since this has evolved into more of a general discussion about protection, I wonder about any potential repercussions from the use of pepper / wasp spray. In other words, you believe you are in imminent danger, spray the person(s), then get hauled into court for "harming" somebody.

Maybe this should be another thread, but I thought to ask the question here first.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #31

OP - Thanks for sharing this info. Sorry others are not able to find anything on the internet, but quite often life is able to go on without the internet's awareness!

Everyone must do what they fell comfortable with, here is what our family does, and it is reviewed often:
-Situational awareness. LOOK at where you are, and if in doubt, get out of the location. (Anywhere, driving or walking does not matter.)
-If being approached, and you have any doubts. Make noise and be vocal. Stay open, and try to avoid being grabbed.
-If grabbed, fight to stay in the open, and continue to be loud while doing the best you can to cause pain to an attacker(s).
-Specifically in our RV, but also similar in our home. We have a few areas of stashed pepper spray, and also a can of wasp spray. Even when sitting outside, we keep the bay open that has a can of wasp spray velcro'd to the inside bay wall for easy access. Good for in needed to protect against animals, non human, too.
-Inside the coach, we travel with two stashes of emergency money. 1) Is an envelope that says 'Emergency Cash', that we keep in the cabinet just over the front door. (Also with a can of pepper spray velcro'd just out of sight in side the frame of the cabinet.) This envelope is 'Throw away money'. I keep it low with about $100 bill, folded over 3 $20's.) If it ever comes necessary, anyone who is traveling with us is able to use this to hopefully keep a robber out of the coach, or get them out by saying this is 'our stash'. Our second envelope is stashed away where only my wife and I know it's location, and yes, it is for emergency usage on the road. We keep enough to cover our expenses for two months, so in case of natural or man made disaster, we have some funds to use when cards and checks may not be.

We do not want to hurt anyone. But having been around drug user's, especially meth users, we know that sometimes these people no longer 'think properly' - their wires can become so crossed, that their brains just are not able to process properly. So, I have worked with my wife, and other close family members, to be prepared. If in doubt, use pepper spray or wasp spray, make noise, including the small little air can sirens. PROTECT YOURSELF.

If that were ever to hurt some individual that was attempting to do harm, or rob, a family member. THAT IS AN APPROPRIATE RESPONSE. I also have a handgun in our RV, and if I ever feel that I need to shoot someone to protect my family, or myself, or my belongings - again, THAT IS AN APPROPRIATE RESPONSE. And, I will face any ramifications needed. (To be clear, if I see a kid or young teenager say taking off with an outside chair or BBQ - I would not use lethal force in that situation.) But if anyone is touching a family member or myself in order to get something off of us, say a watch/waller/ring - I don't care how young they are, they've cross the line and will face the repercussions of their choices.

It's a strange world when we have Government Officials going after parents of Free Range children. And when the Mother of a Would Be Thug teenager had Child Protection Agency reviewing her beating of her kid around the head to get him to go home. And when too often honest citizens are at risk for defending themselves against thugs...

Everyone must do what they feel is correct to them. I do not look the other way. I do not turn my cheek, when appropriate not too. I do speak out. I do write my representatives on how I want them to represent my beliefs. I wish more would do so too. Whatever their beliefs might be.

Be safe, have fun, go travel - and as mentioned, don't let the fear of what could happen keep you from enjoying this thing called RV'ing. Be aware, and use common sense - but go!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:42 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
She owns a passive German Shepherd Dog? Perhaps she needs pepper spray as stated before. A well trained German Shepherd will protect its family as well as any dog and would definitely keep most punks from getting too close.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
What happened in KY can and does happen anywhere. People need to be aware of their surroundings. She was lucky they were only intending to rob her and not assault her (just as likely). There was a definate threat and self defence would have been warranted (three or four to one is not a safe scenario). Legal repercussions maybe, depending on circumstances, but you would be alive to handle them. If it is them or me, they will have a bad day. If it is just the purse I would have no way of knowing that at the time. People need to learn to protect themselves. Law enforcement may only be minutes away when seconds count. Stay alert !
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Very true. I always told my kids & my wife to take a stand out in the open where you can be seen & heard. This "be quiet & I won't hurt you" is the biggest lie ever told. That said, if someone just wants to take something & run away, the best option may be to let them do that. Hard to know which is right. Too many people have been killed over defending the $50 they have in their wallet.
And far more people are alive because they did defend themselves!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
With CCW licenses from Illinois, Florida and Utah there are only a handfull of states where I cannot legaly carry a concealed firearm. I see no reason to visit the states where I cannot carry. Jim.
I have Washington, Oregon and Utah.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #36

Good luck getting one in Illinois . Especially if your a non resident .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #37

As stated earlier, in doing a search, there is no record that this particular occurrence happened. I think it's one of those "he said, she said" things.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post

Actually , I think the only additional state your Illinois permit gives you in addition to Utah & Florida permit is Illinois itself. I'll have to look to be sure
Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Actually , I think the only additional state your Illinois permit gives you in addition to Utah & Florida permit is Illinois itself. I'll have to look to be sure

I am an Illinois resident and CCW instructor and without looking it up Colorado and Michigan are two states I picked up with Illinois. These states are two of several that only recognize another states permit if the holder is a resident of the issuing state. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
Give them the purse and throw them the watch too. It's not worth killing someone or risking your own wellbeing.
Good idea!! Let's teach all the thugs that it's perfectly OK to intimidate or bully someone for their personal property. What's next, telling people it's OK to burn and loot stores?
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #41

You might want to double check Colorado . From what I see CO does not recipicate with Illinois
Old 05-15-2015, 02:43 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
As stated earlier, in doing a search, there is no record that this particular occurrence happened. I think it's one of those "he said, she said" things.
Agreed. Likely someone overheard the story from 2012 and thought this was new.