Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2021, 05:51 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 64-81-84 route takes you through Pennsylvania with very high fuel prices. If needed, you should fuel up before the PA border. I81 in PA has many "Safety Zones" with reduced speed limits. I still haven't figured out what a "Safety Zone" is, as they look like the rest of the highway. I've never seen anyone pulled over in these zones and people definitely speed through them.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 05:59 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwbruce View Post
Planning a trip from Florida to Maine. Stuck on best route from Newport News, VA to Boston/Cape Cod area? Originally planned on taking I95 up to Boston but based on what I’ve read, prefer to avoid congestion/traffic of big cities (DC, Philly, NYC). Any suggestions?

After Boston, heading to Kennebunkport and then on up to Acadia National park. Looking at taking 295 to US Rte 1. Is that an RV friendly route for a 40’ Class A towing a small truck? Appreciate your input!
Are you really planning on staying within Acadia NP with a 40' DP or are you camping at one of the many campgrounds in the Bar Harbor area? My 36' gas Class A almost didn't fit. It was nose to tail from one road to the other on the pull through site.

We take 295 to Topsham (Exit 31, Rt 196). Rt 196 makes its way back to Rt 1. This bypasses the Brunswick area, which can be congested. The other slow down area on Rt 1 is Wiscasset, especially around lunch time. Everybody has to stop at Red's Eats to get their [emoji3081] lobsta.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
The 64-81-84 route takes you through Pennsylvania with very high fuel prices. If needed, you should fuel up before the PA border. I81 in PA has many "Safety Zones" with reduced speed limits. I still haven't figured out what a "Safety Zone" is, as they look like the rest of the highway. I've never seen anyone pulled over in these zones and people definitely speed through them.
I fill up at the big Sheetz Truck stop in Mount Jackson with all the 18 wheelers that head north. It’s the cheapest diesel until you get into NY State.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:53 PM   #18

The Mt Jackson Sheetz is OK a better price is Petro Raphine with TSD card. If going North and you have the range next best is either TA Southington CT (actually Milldale) or TA Maybrook NY.

Last time I stopped at Sheetz Mt Jackson the darned pump shutoff at $75. But the parking was quiet and shaded.

Oh, BTW the construction on 84 in Waterbury CT is done. Road is nice now, in 6 months it probably will stink again. In 20 days I will no longer be a CT resident and won't care.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
The Mt Jackson Sheetz is OK a better price is Petro Raphine with TSD card. If going North and you have the range next best is either TA Southington CT (actually Milldale) or TA Maybrook NY.

Last time I stopped at Sheetz Mt Jackson the darned pump shutoff at $75. But the parking was quiet and shaded.

Oh, BTW the construction on 84 in Waterbury CT is done. Road is nice now, in 6 months it probably will stink again. In 20 days I will no longer be a CT resident and won't care.
Yepper,
I forgot about that Petro and the TSD card.
That’s even better.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you do the i-81. Another option on the I-81 route is to cut off onto I-84 near scranton, pa and take it to I-95 N in RI

On I-81: You will be within 20 miles of Gettysburg's. Plan 2 to 5 hours to poke around the battle field and monument.

I would plan a stop outside of Scranton, PA and visit National Park Services, Steam Town the nations largest collection of steam trains. We stay at a PA SP just north. Plan 2 - 4 hour visit and they offer rides on steam trains.

If you take I-84 you will cross the Hudson river. Lots to do in the Newburg to Woodstock area.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #21

Having grown up and spending a lot of time in the mid-Atlantic and the North east area, I’d consider perhaps driving to, say, the Chattanooga Airport and then flying to Boston

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, routes