Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #1

Suggested Routes Newport News VA to Boston/Cape Cod area

Planning a trip from Florida to Maine. Stuck on best route from Newport News, VA to Boston/Cape Cod area? Originally planned on taking I95 up to Boston but based on what Iíve read, prefer to avoid congestion/traffic of big cities (DC, Philly, NYC). Any suggestions?

After Boston, heading to Kennebunkport and then on up to Acadia National park. Looking at taking 295 to US Rte 1. Is that an RV friendly route for a 40í Class A towing a small truck? Appreciate your input!
dlwbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 08:26 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I would take I/64 to I/81 to I/84 to I/90 (Mass Pike) to Boston. I/295 and US 1 will be no problem.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwbruce View Post
Planning a trip from Florida to Maine. Stuck on best route from Newport News, VA to Boston/Cape Cod area? Originally planned on taking I95 up to Boston but based on what Iíve read, prefer to avoid congestion/traffic of big cities (DC, Philly, NYC). Any suggestions?

After Boston, heading to Kennebunkport and then on up to Acadia National park. Looking at taking 295 to US Rte 1. Is that an RV friendly route for a 40í Class A towing a small truck? Appreciate your input!
Reality is that there is No Easy way - timing is critical if going through any of the many high traffic areas/cities.

We used to do the East Coast but have given up as NY has just used the bridges instead of a Gun to Hold you up from going north or south, JMHO.

This may work but will still have tolls - just might be less heavy traffic and gets you through some pretty country. - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=237b1...=2&form=S00027

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #4

x2 on 64-81-84...

Depending upon time of day and day of week I would suggest 84-87-90. Watch Google maps for traffic in Danbury, Waterbury, Hartford and 84/90 Sturbridge. 87-90 makes a nice drive around CT
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:47 AM   #5

The 64-81-84 route certainly seems to avoid the congested areas. Any suggestions on “must sees” & campgrounds/RV parks along this route?

I do like the route Busskipper suggested too, as it seems a bit more direct but may still encounter heavy traffic in certain areas. Have you done this route before?

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #6

Countless times. The Jersey turnpike area can be fast and furious with a lot of traffic or slow and FURIOUS with a ton of traffic and that is with a regular vehicle. If the Jersey turnpike area is heavy the reststops will be blown up which will add additional enjoyment to your trip. 81 and 84 can have construction and accidents but it usually is a much, much nicer drive.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:59 AM   #7

If you've never driven past NYC it may be worth the experience to take in the view of the city.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #8

We’ve been to NY years ago. Traveling with two other couples who are new to RVing so trying to make it as smooth as possible��
Old 05-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #9

I64 to I 81 to I 88 to I 90 to I 495 to I 95

( I 84 can be terrible )
(I 81 to I 88 is easy and I 88 is 90% empty almost all the time)

I 88 connects Binghamton to Albany, it’s alway dead, no traffic, once you get to Albany, just drive right thru downtown Albany. Don’t take the 87 bypass. Ignore the sign for the Mass Turnpike. You will save about 40 miles going straight. Driving thru Albany is NOT bad anytime, a little traffic but easy)

I have taken this route about 20- 25 times.
Heading that way Memorial Week
I would avoid I 95 thru NY and Boston
I 295 around Boston is terrible too.

Get a EzPass and you save 50% in Massachusetts.
Tolls in NH is only one
Tolls in Maine are about 25% off
Only one $2.00 toll in NY

My DP with a Jeep is $13 in Massachusetts for NY border to I 495

Where you staying in Kennebunkport?
Red Apple is a great little private CG, good pullthru but you need to call ahead, they only have a few. I’ve stayed there many times on the way to Acadia

DO NOT DRIVE US 1 north of The Gardner Exit of 295.
There is a very narrow bridge at Bucksport. Many motorhomes have hit the sides of that bridge going to Acadia, believe me you rather take I 295 to Augusta get on I 95 to Bangor and take 3 west to Bar Harbor.
The only time I took that bridge I had my Southwind and didn’t know it was that bad. I was scared I might scrape my motorhome. It’s a very dangerous RV bridge. Believe me please. I would never drive my Diesel over that bridge.

I still remember a fellow RVer with a beautiful new Allegro Bus hit the bridge. He camped next to us at the Narrow Too in Bar Harbor. His trip was ruined by that bridge. He was a well seasoned Rver too

Penobscot Narrows Bridge
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:56 AM   #10

+1 for 2cyber71 suggestions if you are looking for an easy route with least frustration.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:47 AM   #11

Thanks for the suggestion regarding US 1. Any ideas on where to stay along I 81? We are actually staying just south of Boston In Middleborough at the Boston/Cape Cod KOA since we wanted to do Martha’s Vineyard, Cape Cod and Boston. It seems to be close proximity to all three points of interest. Was hoping not to have to go all the way up to Albany and then back down. When you say I84 can be terrible Is it terrible all the time or just during rush hours?
We are staying at the Red Apple campground in Kennebunkport.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwbruce View Post
Thanks for the suggestion regarding US 1. Any ideas on where to stay along I 81? We are actually staying just south of Boston In Middleborough at the Boston/Cape Cod KOA since we wanted to do Martha’s Vineyard, Cape Cod and Boston. It seems to be close proximity to all three points of interest. Was hoping not to have to go all the way up to Albany and then back down. When you say I84 can be terrible Is it terrible all the time or just during rush hours?
We are staying at the Red Apple campground in Kennebunkport.
I 84 bad almost all daytime.
Say hello to Dave at Red Apple, once many yrs ago he gave my dog a very nice gift.
—-> I 81 campgrounds- give me a location on 81, I know most of them.

Also, coming back from Maine, the 95 to 495 to 90 can be a big mess, usually on Saturdays when the rentals leave Maine.
I like to come back on Thursday or a Sunday in the early AM.
I leave Kennebunkport about 6-7AM.
90 west is bad until you get pass the 84 exit to NYC, then it clears up to speed. Thins out nice after that. The key is to get pass I 84 on I 90 when heading home.

One more tip—->>> get diesel in Salisbury, Massachusetts.
There is a Mobil right at the exit, it has the lowest price for diesel between NY and Maine. I think they have a lower tax there. It’s easy to get into and out of back on I 95.
I think it’s exit 60. Getting back north is easy, going south isn’t hard you need to turn right and go to the next light, then turn right to get to I 95, there are signs. Once you do it it’s easy.
They have DEF too. I couldn’t tell you how many times I stopped there, too many to count. I have been to Maine 12 times since 2011.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I would take I/64 to I/81 to I/84 to I/90 (Mass Pike) to Boston. I/295 and US 1 will be no problem.
I would do about the same thing with a slight change. I would take 64 west to the i-295 N to I-95 N, take i-95 for about 40 miles to US 17 N follow that until you hit I-66 west take I-66 about 30 to I-81 north. It will be shorter and 17 is a very nice 4 lane divided highway through the rolling hills of VA. The first 2-3 miles when you get off I-95 there is a few lights and shopping plazas. Midway there is a small town about 1-2 miles with a few lights. Other than these two spots it moves nicely. I
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
I would do about the same thing with a slight change. I would take 64 west to the i-295 N to I-95 N, take i-95 for about 40 miles to US 17 N follow that until you hit I-66 west take I-66 about 30 to I-81 north. It will be shorter and 17 is a very nice 4 lane divided highway through the rolling hills of VA. The first 2-3 miles when you get off I-95 there is a few lights and shopping plazas. Midway there is a small town about 1-2 miles with a few lights. Other than these two spots it moves nicely. I
Yep, Iíve done US 17 in Virginia. Thatís another non-interstate option.
It does save time and miles. I 66 is nice and new too.

Tags
route, routes