Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #1

Suggestions for Sightseeing Through New Mexico

We are planning our first trip through New Mexico at the end of this month. Can anyone share suggestions for a 7-10 day route and must see stops. We would like to start in the SE section of the state and end up in the NW.
Thanks!
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #2

We have limited experience in NM but we enjoyed Santa Fe, Ruidoso, Taos, & Rio Grande Gorge (it may still be too cold in the high country) then we also liked Las Cruces, White Sands NP, pistachio farms if you like the nuts & farming in the Rio Grande valley around Las Cruces - amazing what the dessert can do with a little water.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

Suggestions for Sightseeing Through New Mexico

Our experience in NM is also limited. I think that weather would be a big factor in what I would expect to see and do in January. We are from Southern CA so are not all that used to places that experience "weather".

We base camped in a few places this past November, and explored from there. The first base camp was just on the outskirts of Santa Fe. I think the elevation was about 6,600 feet. The daytime highs at that time were 40-60's. The nighttime lows were low 20's to mid 30's. We headed south on I25 on November 28th. Snow was predicted the Santa Fe area the following week.

From this first base camp we visited Santa Fe, Taos, Ghost Ranch, Tent Rocks National Monument, Chaco Canyon National Park, and Albuquerque. We had been through Farmington and Shiprock on our way to Cortez, CO on another trip, so didn't explore there this time. There is a place in Albuquerque called Petroglyphs National Monument. We didn't go there because I read about many auto break-ins in their parking area. I understand that it is in an urban setting. It is a shame that the vandalism has impacted this historic park.

Moving south on I25, our destination was Basque Del Apache, near Socorro NM. There is a huge wetland area there and the migratory birds included Sand Hill Cranes and Snow Geese. It is quite an agrarian area. It you enjoy chili peppers, a stop for food in Hatch, NM is a must. If into water sports, Elephant Butte would be a great place to stay.

Farther south is White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns. We had been there before, so didn't do them this time.

I know that after a month we had only barely skimmed the beauty that NM holds, so we will be back. If you go in January, please share your experiences with us on the forum.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #4

Much of New Mexico will be too cold the end of Jan/Feb. We tried it one year and soon moved on to Arizona. You can try some siteseeing but be prepared.

For instance, this is the average for Santa Fe. Note that it starts getting nice in April.

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usnm0292

Would recommend that you pick out some areas and find their average temp to see if it agrees with you.

Of course, we all know each year is different - especially this one. Hope you find some warmth!! New Mexico is a beautiful state.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #5

We have been to New Mexico several times. Most of them when I was in charge of building a 30 million school for the Navaho's. I agree that time of year can be very cold. lots to do and see in New Mexico and lots of different terrain.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #6

Carlsbad, its amazing! plan on at least two days. Las Cruces and the little town of Meselia (sp). Gila NM and Silver City. Over towards Alamogordo you have White Sands (it snowed when we were there one Dec) N of Alamogordo is the amazing (ive said that twice) Three Rivers campground. Truly spectacular petroglyphs. Up closer to ABQ is the little town called "Pietown"; how can you resist? Hatch, NM where the chilies come from (also Sparky's). Cold N of ABQ. Enough to keep you busy? The only question is; Green, Red or Christmas??
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #7

Ft. Stanton, north of Ruidoso, has an amazing history. See if the TB replica tent is still there. I helped build it when I volunteered there 5 years ago. The old town of Lincoln, of Billy the Kid fame, also has a lot of history. There is a large lava flow at the Valley of Fires. In the NW, Chaco Canyon and the old pueblos are worth the trip.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #8

if you're on I40 on the west side, near Gallup, stay at the RED ROCK PARK... spectacular views of the 'Red Cliffs' that bump up right beside the campground... inexpensive as well. As I remember, you just drive in, pick your site, and then someone will come by later or in the morning to collect their fee... seems like it was $15. Each site has 50a and water, and they have a double-sided dump station near the office.

Red Rock Park | Gallup, NM - Official Website
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #9

you can also visit the 'other' Las Vegas.... New Mexico! off I25 N near I40 at Santa Rosa.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #10

Starting in the SE is a good idea. Ending in the NW, I would question. There are snow ski lodges in Northern NM. Taos for example. Carlsbad, Roswell, White Sands Nat Monument, again there is skiing near Ruidoso. Other places: Acoma Sky City, Aztec Ruins near Aztec NM. Chaco Canyon But again this can get very cold and lots of snow.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #11

ROSWELL
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #12

Not much in Roswell but for the alien museum (old theatre). My wife went in, paid the admission; was not impressed.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote