Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
SUNPASS Question

I have a SUNPASS transponder on our toad. When traveling on tollways with the toad on the back of the bus, does it register even after I pay at the toll booth?

Any suggestions?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Question is, why leave it in the toad. Move it to the coach and no worries.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #3

Yes, it may very well register. I have been told that there are metal boxes that will prevent the RF tag from registering at the toll booth, but no personal experience. Best bet, wrap it in foil if you are not planning on having it register and $ getting deducted from your account! Please let us know if that works!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Question is, why leave it in the toad. Move it to the coach and no worries.
A couple reasons...

1. it is registered to a specific vehicle.

2. FL discontinued the battery powered transponder versions at the beginning of the year. The new ones are about the size of a credit card and stick to the windshield. Once you remove it...it is disabled. BTW...they must be properly mounted on the windshield for them to work so you just can't tape them up there.

CORRECTION EDIT...

Yes, there is also a portable version that is available and moveable but we didn't think about using it because of the higher purchase price and we didn't think about using tollways while traveling with the toad behind the bus. When we come back to FL in a couple years...we will consider that replacement.

https://www.sunpass.com/pdf/MiniWebPDF_E.pdf
Old 03-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You can go online to confirm whether or not yours is still good. The one we have is not battery powered, apparently, nor is it the card type. We can move it from vehicle to vehicle (we move it back and forth from our coach to our Jeep), the vehicle just has to be listed on the account, which can be done on-line. Our transponder is about 1.5 inches by maybe 4 inches and attaches to the windshield with suction cups.

If you have the card type I'd swap it for the suction cup model.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sky_Boss,
If the toad Sun Pass is left in the position it occupies (on the windshield) it will register when going through a toll booth (guaranteed). I have a Sun Pass for the coach and toad. I place the toad Sun Pass in the foil bag it came with and then in the glove compartment. If you have a Sun Pass in the coach, it will register when going through the toll booth. The toll collection system is smart enough to know you have a toad and will charge you accordingly. You will pay for both vehicles. If you do not have a Sun Pass for the coach, just take the Sun Pass for the toad and use it for the coach. Either of the above mentioned procedures will work.

An interesting fact is that Florida will charge one more for a coach towing than if the two vehicles were operated separately!
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #7

My Sunpass has 2 suction cups to stick on the glass.

I have both Toad and MH listed on the account.

I have used it on the MH with and without the toad, and on the toad alone.

No problems.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:59 AM   #8

Sunpass registers the number of axles going through and charges accordingly.
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:14 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
My guess would be that both transponders would be billed, for a total of 5 axles because of how you registered the transponders on your account (it 'knows' how many axles each vehicle has). I doubt that Sunpass can tell the different between a car being towed and a tailgater, so it will bill both.
However you can log in to your Sunpass account and view your billings, at that point it should be fairly easy to determine how they are billing you.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:50 AM   #10

I went on the Florida Sunpass site this Jan. and just got more information on this post then you can get from the Florida Sunpass site. Sounds like one of the removable transponders is the ticket for an out of stater traveling with a toad. My brother-in-law lives in Florida and he has the credit card, non-move able transponder, that is as flat as a credit card. Thanks
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:01 AM   #11

You can transfer the credit card size pass from one vehicle to the other. After I bought my new truck I did that and went on line and registered my new tag and vehicle type. It works because I drove to Kennedy Space Center yesterday from Clermont and was charged the tolls.

Also have the same type on coach. We have not used it yet, but will at the end of the month. Will be interesting to see if it charges me twice for towed.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #12

A friend had trouble with his reading the one in the toad also. He had the stick on.
dmsatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just got off the phone with SUNPASS. First, what a pleasant lady to speak with. Here is what she said.

1. Just add the second vehicle (the RV in this case) to the account. That included License plate, year, make model and color info.

2. With that information and in concert with the license plate readers I will get charged 5 axles when hooked together and then only 2 axles when driving the toad alone.

3. She took notes on the conversation to confirm our discussion. If we have any billing issues we can get those sorted out.

Since we are only in FL for only a couple weeks longer that will work fine instead of buying the portable unit. The next time we get to FL in a couple years we will look to buy the portable one to cover us in the rare case I'm driving the RV without the toad but for now, my needs are met.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #14

We have the one that has suction cups and can be moved. Yes, it is about $25 versus $5 but I think we get that money back if we ever turn the transponder back in. I am looking forward to when toll roads are all on the same system. By law, I think it is supposed to happen by Oct 2016 but some states have asked for extensions.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote