Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2021, 06:11 PM   #1

Telephone app for rv routing

What do you all use for routing your 13 or more ft tall RV on your phone apps? I use a Garmin RV 760 GPS but wondering if there are apps on phone that can be used for RVs for routing. I LOVE WAZE but do not feel it is safe for routing RVs around and not under low overpasses. WHAT are your thoughts? FREE ones are preferred but...
Sandie115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
RV Trip Wizard & RV Life app.

Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze will get you in trouble. They will route you on the quickest car route, possible, regardless.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie115 View Post
What do you all use for routing your 13 or more ft tall RV on your phone apps? I use a Garmin RV 760 GPS but wondering if there are apps on phone that can be used for RVs for routing. I LOVE WAZE but do not feel it is safe for routing RVs around and not under low overpasses. WHAT are your thoughts? FREE ones are preferred but...
Well.... believe it or not, many RVers travel without a GPS telling them where to drive. We did successfully for 16 years of full-timing and never had an issue and the majority of time on secondary highways. We used a good atlas and researched.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:33 PM   #4

Telephone app for rv routing

We use CoPilot in addition to our Garmin 770.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	332417
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
RV Trip Wizard & RV Life app.

Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze will get you in trouble. They will route you on the quickest car route, possible, regardless.
This. I use RV Trip Wizard and the RV Life App to build trips but then use Google Maps on the actual drive with waypoints set to match the route from RV Trip Wizard.
TravelSolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Well.... believe it or not, many RVers travel without a GPS telling them where to drive. We did successfully for 16 years of full-timing and never had an issue and the majority of time on secondary highways. We used a good atlas and researched.
Well, yes - we lived perfectly fine for many decades without cell phones, also...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #7

I just use google maps with no troubles, however I do not blindly follow it.

I have no other apps, or books or similar.

On major routes low obstructions are typically well marked and have alternate route noted. You are not the only large vehicle that may confer taking that route.

Also, along main routes most deliveries are by truck. Going to the grocery store? Big trucks deliver, you will fit.

Once we get off main routes then we spend more time on the internet investigating.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
And many of us tent camped back in the day. I, for one, don't want to tent camp anymore and don't want to spend days researching a route when an application can do that for me, letting me focus my research time on the destination. And printed materials have a shelf life. That 13 foot overpass clearance in 2015 may not be true today, after a few inches of asphalt were added. I am not saying the RV apps are guaranteed to be better, but the data will likely be fresher.

Still, I respect that you have not become a slave to every shiny piece of new tech, and use your grey matter. Here's to critical thinking skills!
treeoflib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I use WAZE but also bought a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas. It's the one truckers use and gives low clearance listings for all 50 states and all the Canadian provinces. Very handy thing to have!
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:02 PM   #10

I have been using an app called TruckMap on my Android device. It allows you to set up the vehicle parameters. (height, weight, length) So far so good. Have others been using this as I am a bit new to the RV life.
Thx,
Rich

Tags
phone