Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #1

Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina tour

Considering a trip from near Ft Worth TX to these states to see the sites and a relaxed time in the south. Havenít traveled to this area before and thinking about a fall trip. Any help is appreciated!

Farmerobert
2019 DSDP 4369
Farmerobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you're planning on being in the Fayetteville, NC area I recommend both the Special Operations Forces Museum in Fayetteville, and the 82nd Airborne Museum on Ft Bragg. You need to stop at the Ft Bragg Visitor Center and get a pass to get on base for the 82nd ABN Museum, but it's just a formality, unless you have a shady past and can't pass a cursory background check.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #3

Have a look at https://adventurecaravans.com/

Either join one if their tours or replicate the stops shown
Old 04-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would be booking campgrounds ASAP. The leaf season in the Smokeyís (Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge) is always jammed.
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerobert View Post
Considering a trip from near Ft Worth TX to these states to see the sites and a relaxed time in the south. Haven’t traveled to this area before and thinking about a fall trip. Any help is appreciated!

Farmerobert
2019 DSDP 4369
Can you be more specific on what you want to see/experience.....fall leaf colors, east coast beaches, Biltmore House, micro breweries, Blue Ridge Parkway, hiking to dozens of waterfalls, tourist traps like Cherokee??
Old 04-26-2021, 08:42 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Considering a trip from near Ft Worth TX to these states to see the sites and a relaxed time in the south. Haven’t traveled to this area before and thinking about a fall trip. Any help is appreciated!

Farmerobert
2019 DSDP 4369
Tennessee:
  • Nashville (bar hope, music, Parthenon, farmers market, Ryman, Ol' Opery, music tour, river boat tour)
    Memphis: (Graceland, Gibson Guitar, Stax, river boat cruise)
    Chattanooga: (aquarium, Racoon Mtn TVA pump station, Rock City, Ruby Cave, Lookout Mtn, eat)
    Bristol (Bristol Motor Speedway, Ridgewood BBQ)
    Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge (yuk - too crowded, just a lot of shops & traffic)
North Carolina
  • Gaffney (Freightliner service)
    Ashville (Biltmore estate)
    Parts of Blue Ridge Parkway
    Outterbanks
South Carolina
  • Charleston (Fort Sumter, USS Yorktown)
    Plantations
    Brunswick (Jeckell Island bike ride)

Check out Planetware.com for ideas
Old 04-27-2021, 04:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Considering a trip from near Ft Worth TX to these states to see the sites and a relaxed time in the south. Havenít traveled to this area before and thinking about a fall trip. Any help is appreciated!

Farmerobert
2019 DSDP 4369
Interestingly missing are what you might enjoy?

When I have enjoyed these areas we used to spend a good bit of time along the Coast, so that is a massively large area, But it has many Great Choices, search, and keep options available as it is always Pretty nice.

Second area would be the COE lakes and options they present, issue is they are very popular on the weekends and may require reservations. The Good is there are many private CG's some that are really Great, some not so good but many Options.

Obviously, the Smokies are there to be seen - just need to be -IMHO - very selective as to where you go and what you enjoy - Tennesse is filled with some beautiful areas - But Kentucky is also - and the Bourbon Trail is something many have enjoyed.

Asheville/Biltmore is an area that deserves a look as there are only a few places like it anywhere.

This area in the fall is beautiful and with a good plan I would guess it will be Memory Filled.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:03 AM   #8

Since you mentioned TN and NC, a word of advice. If you are looking at maps and see US 129 on the map, and it looks like a "shortcut" to any of the areas you want to go to, STAY OFF OF IT in the area around the TN/NC border. That area is sometimes called the Dragon....or Deals Gap area. Not only are there signs that prohibit travel on it with trailers over 30' in length, it will be impossible to stay in your own lane in many of the 318 turns in the 11 mile length of that part of the road. Many have tried, almost all have failed. It's a fun and excited road for a car or motorcycle, but 110% a bad decision for an RV.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #9

In error, because of construction detours and lack of signal to get better info, I found myself on the Tail of the Dragon in a 27 foot class c. I pulled it off, with no stack of cars and bikes behind me, but would avoid it again if given a choice. I did by a sticker saying we'd tamed the Dragon for my RV window.
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:29 AM   #10

Quote:

Farmerobert
2019 DSDP 4369
As mentioned in a earlier post about Charleston, SC. You can add a couple of other places to see:
1) The Hunley it is on the old Naval Base it was used in the Civil War. The tours are only on the weekend
2) The Battery area of the waterfront in Charleston
3) The Citadel military academy
4) The open Air Market in downtown is nice but it has went downhill since I was stationed there in 81-82. One item my wife likes from there is the Sweet Grass Baskets.

If you are going to be that close see if you can schedule a few days in Savannah it will be worth the trip. While in Savannah you can go to see the Museum of the Mighty 8th Air Force, it is almost across the road from Camping World. Also a walking tour of downtown was great, and we had lunch at The Pirate House, pretty good food. While in Savannah we went to:
1) Tybee Island nice place but they do not allow dogs on beaches
2) Fort Pulaski Civil War error fort
3) took a dolphin tour from Tybee Island (Captain Derek's)
4) Museum of the Mighty 8th Air Force
5) lunch at The Pirate House
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #11

Another vote for a swing by Savannah, from there take I-16 west to work your way over to I-20. In Savannah I disagree with Hamm, go to Mrs. Wilkes for lunch, well worth the wait.

Many great areas to visit in NC:
Asheville is worth a few days then up and over to Winston-Salem. Head out to the coast and discover the Outer Banks. Kill Devil Hills is the location of the Wright Brothers Museum, Jockey's Ridge State Park, lighthouses, and coast guard rescue stations are stops on the coast.

Hwy 17 is a quiet drive down to Wilmington and tour the WWII Battle Ship North Carolina before visiting Myrtle Beach as you head on down to Charleston.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #12

Tellico Grains Bakery in Tellico Plains, TN. Awesome bakery in an old building with lotsa good bakery things and also have wonderful made on site wood fired pizzas for lunch with locally sourced ingredients. The Italian sausage is particularly tasty. Closed on Mondays.

Caffe REL in Franklin, NC. Attached to a gas station, the inside and menu are quite European. Continental cuisine at very reasonable prices. You cannot get a hamburger there. Do check their hours of business. Closed on Mon and Tues.

Both places will likely have a line on weekends but there is a reason for that.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:32 AM   #13

While in Asheville be sure to visit the Moose Cafe, behind the restaurant is the areas farmers market. If it is still there Isis is a great location for good food and live music.

If 17 is your chosen route and you go through the Myrtle Beach area (hint when you get into SC take hwy 9 over to hwy 31 then work your way over to the bypass on hwy 544. When in the area visit Sea Captains House an ocean front restaurant that has been there for decades or further down in Garden City, Conch Cafe is worth a stop for lunch.

In Charleston my favorite restaurant closed last year so I have no suggestions.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
While in Asheville be sure to visit the Moose Cafe, behind the restaurant is the areas farmers market. If it is still there Isis is a great location for good food and live music.

If 17 is your chosen route and you go through the Myrtle Beach area (hint when you get into SC take hwy 9 over to hwy 31 then work your way over to the bypass on hwy 544. When in the area visit Sea Captains House an ocean front restaurant that has been there for decades or further down in Garden City, Conch Cafe is worth a stop for lunch.

In Charleston my favorite restaurant closed last year so I have no suggestions.
Some nice seafood places on isle of Palms. My favorite when I was stationed there in 82-83 was "The Trawler", but it is closed now. The one that replaced it is just as good, and the seafood is fresh. It comes right off the boats.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote