RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Teton Pass Hwy (Wyo 22)

I've been reading some posts on this hwy from Jackson to Victor and there are varied opinions. I have a lot of experience on Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho etc mountain roads and want to make sure there's no problem with a 41' DP towing a Jeep over the Teton Pass Hwy. I've been into Jackson before but went north through the park to Gardiner and never been west from Jackson. This will be a Summer trip so no worries about snow closure.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.google.com/search?q=Teto...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I did a Google search on the Teton Pass Highway and found some interesting information, especially about the name Teton.....
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I've been reading some posts on this hwy from Jackson to Victor and there are varied opinions. I have a lot of experience on Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho etc mountain roads and want to make sure there's no problem with a 41' DP towing a Jeep over the Teton Pass Hwy. I've been into Jackson before but went north through the park to Gardiner and never been west from Jackson. This will be a Summer trip so no worries about snow closure.

It's a 10% grade. You need to have everything working and have experience with a grade that steep. Personally, I wouldn't do it because I don't like to put that much stress on everything when I can simply go another route. If I had to, then no problem, I would. Why not get where you are going and take the tow car over the Teton? Much more enjoyable. I bought this book a few years back as it is super useful traveling mountains. Shows the grades, what to avoid etc etc etc: https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Dire.../dp/0977629015
Mile Marker 42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

It is a long 10% grade. Many truckers have trouble with it (and cars) - exhaust brake and low gears, quick jabs on brakes.

I like to go from Jackson to Idaho falls or driggs through Alpine Wy and around Palisades Lake - pretty drive, and longer, but I personally do not like the teton pass much. There is a smaller pass on that rout between Teton Valley and Driggs but its nothing like the Teton pass.

Have fun
Old 02-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:

Been there done that - Story - as we left West Yellowstone to head to Jackson, with my son's last summer I said to them you know we do not want to Do RT 22.

Son says not to worry - I've got it covered - well there were three of us and he had One Covered so over to Victor we went. - - -

Let me say a couple things - it is a long way to the top - it is a long way to the Bottom - it is a Long 10% Grade that has maybe one slight break - say 8% - but in all Honesty if you can avoid it I'd Suggest you do.

When we got to the Top we had probably a mile of traffic behind us - waited over 10 minutes for a break in traffic to get back in line - Down is as tough as Up - as it too is 10% so you have the engine break on the entire time.

So when you read Don't Do RT 22 it's the Truth - in a car fine in the Coach - only if you are in for a long slow run up and down with many people P*ssed off.

There you go.

JMHO,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #6

Spent last summer in Jackson and a regular occurance was seeing blown up coaches towed into camp from that pass. Go through alpine, it’s a scenic drive and pretty easy.
Tbrownski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Iím the sort that tries about anything. Did Teton Pass going from WY to ID a few years ago. Then had a 2006 Winnebago View and a little Scion toad. Have been over Teton Pass a couple of times since then, but toad only and never again with an RV.

Very cool trip, by the way! Beautiful scenery.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #8

Here's an excerpt from a previous post of mine:
"As some have already pointed out Teton Pass on WY22 between Jackson,WY and Victor, ID is tough but is doable for an experienced mountain driver in the right equipment. On the uphill 10% grade I spent a lot of time in second gear doing 27mph, a little in third gear a few mph faster leading a parade of probably angry motorists. The only turnout was at the top of the pass. Coming down the 10% grade was again mostly in second and third gears with the exhaust brake (Pacbrake) on the whole time with frequent but short stab braking and occasional whiffs of hot brakes. First time I have ever done a 10% grade in years of driving school buses and my coach in the Rocky Mountains and the first time I have ever smelled my brakes. It will be the last time I will let Google Maps choose the shortest route in the mountains."
I would and could do it again if I absolutely had to but I did not enjoy being the Grand Marshall of a long parade of unhappy motorists lined up behind me. There was no place for them to pass me and no place for me to pull over except for a small spot at the top of the pass westbound. The drive is not much fun for the driver or the pax(the DW had her eyes closed much of the time.) I had to concentrate too hard going uphill on engine and transmission temps, RPMs, gear selections, etc. to enjoy the scenery. Going downhill it was a full time task controlling speed with gear selection, Pacbrake monitoring and stab braking. A readout of brake temps and electric brake fans like we had on some of our Airbus A320s would have been very welcomed.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #9

I wouldn't do it, but we have a gasser, so engine braking isn't something we can count on. We stayed in Victor and drove the toad to Jackson and Grand Teton NP. Even aside from brakes, it's tough on transmissions. I had transmission work done in Bishop CA, which is right at the bottom of an 8-mile 6% grade, and the owner said RVers climbing that grade were his bread and butter.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #10

We went over Teton Pass last September, I didnít think it was that big of deal. 10% grade is no joke but I stayed in a lower gear going up and same gear going down. Pumped the brakes for the switch backs. I was driving a 1995 gasser.

There was a couple of big rigs with toweds ahead of me and they didnít seem to be struggling going up or down.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Been there done that - Story - as we left West Yellowstone to head to Jackson, with my son's last summer I said to them you know we do not want to Do RT 22.

Son says not to worry - I've got it covered - well there were three of us and he had One Covered so over to Victor we went. - - -

Let me say a couple things - it is a long way to the top - it is a long way to the Bottom - it is a Long 10% Grade that has maybe one slight break - say 8% - but in all Honesty if you can avoid it I'd Suggest you do.

When we got to the Top we had probably a mile of traffic behind us - waited over 10 minutes for a break in traffic to get back in line - Down is as tough as Up - as it too is 10% so you have the engine break on the entire time.

So when you read Don't Do RT 22 it's the Truth - in a car fine in the Coach - only if you are in for a long slow run up and down with many people P*ssed off.

There you go.

JMHO,
And when Busskipper suggests you not do something, you probably ought not do it. I don't have an exhaust brake on my truck, so I am extremely cautious to gear down at the top of a grade (manual, downshifting while heading down hill is not the best thing to try).

When I get out there, I'll take the route thru Alpine.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
And when Busskipper suggests you not do something, you probably ought not do it. I don't have an exhaust brake on my truck, so I am extremely cautious to gear down at the top of a grade (manual, downshifting while heading down hill is not the best thing to try).

When I get out there, I'll take the route thru Alpine.

Charles
Busskipper - here - Just a Note - After a week, We left Victor and went south through Alpine - Beautiful Drive - so It's not all Bad, it was Easy, so Easy.

Biggest issue IMHO on RT 22 is there is no place to Bail and rest up it's 2300 RPM all the way up and 2300 RPM's all the way Down. Just keep that in Mind.

Really not a pass you want to have to go over - Makes all those Passes in Colorado feel like Hills, RT 22 takes you over a Mountain!

Truly a Beautiful Area not to be Missed.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #13

Hi,

Can you tell me the names of the roads on the route through Alpine, WY to Idaho Falls? Thanks
tonka96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka96 View Post
Hi,

Can you tell me the names of the roads on the route through Alpine, WY to Idaho Falls? Thanks
Very gentile as it follows the River and the Water - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=dc7a1...=2&form=S00027

There you go, RT 26