Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2021, 06:38 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Teton Pass VS Slumgullion Pass

I think I have been over Teton Pass sometime in the dim distant past. It seems like I have been everywhere around Teton/Yellowstone Parks at one time or another. But I just don't remember Teton Pass specifically.

However, I have been over Slumgullion Pass enough times that I do remember. It is steep!

So for those of you who have done both, which raises your blood pressure the most?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 06:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I ended up on Teton Pass once, not the place for a 40' DP with a toad. It can be done, but why? Alpine to Hoback or West Yellowstone.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
I think I have been over Teton Pass sometime in the dim distant past. It seems like I have been everywhere around Teton/Yellowstone Parks at one time or another. But I just don't remember Teton Pass specifically.

However, I have been over Slumgullion Pass enough times that I do remember. It is steep!

So for those of you who have done both, which raises your blood pressure the most?
Yeloduster,

Having followed you a bit - If you had been over Teton Pass it would never get lost in the Memory Bucket as it would sit right on top of the Paved highways up and Down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slumgullion_Pass

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teton_Pass

Pair of 10's will trump a strong scenic 9 every time, -

Teton is almost just straight up 10% and straight down 10% - both require and will be imprinted in your head for a long, long time, I can only remember, the we Had no - 0 - nada chance to catch our breath up or down.

You would have remembered it, At least I will. -

One more to throw into this Mix - RT 14A - Big Horn Mountains - another 10% grade but it is only 10% on one side if I recall.

Just putting one more pass into the Mix.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:41 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Busskipper,

I trust your judgement!! If I ever did Teton Pass it would have been in a pickup with a slide in camper. About 10K GW. It had a manual transmission. I could have stuck it in a gear that held 15-20 MPH and just left it there all the way up and down.

Slumgullion on the other hand, I crossed with the same truck, same camper but had a '72 Scout II on a tow bar and no toad brakes. I do remember that! Up was OK but down was sketchy! Ah! to be young and stupid again!

I've been over Slumgullion several times since with MH and toad with no special problems.

One big difference I see between the two...on Slumgullion you have the road to yourself for the most part...on Teton you have lots of impatient tourists.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Busskipper,

I trust your judgement!! If I ever did Teton Pass it would have been in a pickup with a slide in camper. About 10K GW. It had a manual transmission. I could have stuck it in a gear that held 15-20 MPH and just left it there all the way up and down.

Slumgullion on the other hand, I crossed with the same truck, same camper but had a '72 Scout II on a tow bar and no toad brakes. I do remember that! Up was OK but down was sketchy! Ah! to be young and stupid again!

I've been over Slumgullion several times since with MH and toad with no special problems.

One big difference I see between the two...on Slumgullion you have the road to yourself for the most part...on Teton you have lots of impatient tourists.
RT 14A was one I took some 30 years ago in our Classic GMC front wheel drive auto - We began Leaving Yellowstone at 8:00 to get out and head back to the East, about 12 hours later we headed to Cody - Hard to leave such a Beautiful spot - So I just looked at the Map and went straight - before the Internet and the cell phones did not work in the Wild West

As I recall, it being dark, had to see a lot - not - we went up with no problem, again around midnight or later so NO traffic at all - remember stopping at the Top to just take it all in, Stars so bright you felt you could just grab them - as we started Slowly down the other side we rounded one of the early switch backs and there were the Northern Light - OMG moment!

Stopped stared - watched as, quick as they cam out they disappeared - Never ever forgot 14 A , might have been the highlight of the trip. Didn't wake my boys and they have never forgotten or Forgiven me.

So even being 10% the grade was secondary to what we saw, Not so, when we Did RT 22 - Never saw a thing as I was just Peddling to hard to get up. and had my feet hard on the floorboard going down, Looked so esy on the YouTube video -

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Yeloduster,

One more to throw into this Mix - RT 14A - Big Horn Mountains - another 10% grade but it is only 10% on one side if I recall.

Just putting one more pass into the Mix.

Hwy. 14A in the Bighorns only has none side. It ends at Lovell Junction. The rest of the way is on hwy. 14. Actually going down 14A isn't so bad if you don't go above 2nd gear. I routinely tow my 5er down it, and I'm a flatlander from Illinois.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14A.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	319935   Click image for larger version

Name:	14-14a.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	319936  

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:

Can only speak to Teton Pass .

Crossed it East bound out of Idaho on the Harley headed to Sturgis .

Spectacular ! Stopped at the summit to take in the view of Jackson Hole and have a cold refreshment.

While stopped , a bicyclist pulled up too us . He had started in Jackson Hole and was turning around to head back down ! We shared our beer with him because we felt he had definitely earned one !

Though it was an incredible ride on the Harley , I can only imagine the effort it took to summit it on a bicycle , I have no desire to cross it with our MH. I just can't see how someone could enjoy the view while fighting the grade.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
RT 14A was one I took some 30 years ago in our Classic GMC front wheel drive auto - We began Leaving Yellowstone at 8:00 to get out and head back to the East, about 12 hours later we headed to Cody - Hard to leave such a Beautiful spot - So I just looked at the Map and went straight - before the Internet and the cell phones did not work in the Wild West

As I recall, it being dark, had to see a lot - not - we went up with no problem, again around midnight or later so NO traffic at all - remember stopping at the Top to just take it all in, Stars so bright you felt you could just grab them - as we started Slowly down the other side we rounded one of the early switch backs and there were the Northern Light - OMG moment!

Stopped stared - watched as, quick as they cam out they disappeared - Never ever forgot 14 A , might have been the highlight of the trip. Didn't wake my boys and they have never forgotten or Forgiven me.

So even being 10% the grade was secondary to what we saw, Not so, when we Did RT 22 - Never saw a thing as I was just Peddling to hard to get up. and had my feet hard on the floorboard going down, Looked so esy on the YouTube video -

Growing up in Wyoming, the northern lights were not common but occurred often enough that we weren't surprised. They normally only showed up in the dead of winter on the clearest nights.

One September 20 years ago or so, I was traveling north on WY59 toward Gillette to spend my Dad's last days with him. Just as we passed Reno Jct the northern lights came out in stunning detail and lasted until we saw the light of Gillette.

I think the were a welcome home for him!
Old 03-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Growing up in Wyoming, the northern lights were not common but occurred often enough that we weren't surprised. They normally only showed up in the dead of winter on the clearest nights.

One September 20 years ago or so, I was traveling north on WY59 toward Gillette to spend my Dad's last days with him. Just as we passed Reno Jct the northern lights came out in stunning detail and lasted until we saw the light of Gillette.

I think the were a welcome home for him!

Beautiful story .........

We all can only hope to be so lucky .........
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:40 PM   #10

From the Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers:

Teton Pass is 10% on both sides of the Pass. WB is 10 mi. of downhill; EB is 6 miles of downhill.

Slumgullion Pass has a downhill heading north of 9.4% - how'd they get so exact? It drops 2900' in elevation in 9.6 miles to Lake City.

It is 7.9% on the south side with a 5 mile descent. Then a 2-mile climb of 6-7% to Spring Creek Pass and downhill from the summit for about 12 miles at 6-7%.

We've done Teton eastbound one time and Slumgullion both directions a few times. We didn't care for Teton!

I think a longer downhill is easier than a short one that seems steeper and faster.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote