Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Toll Roads

Last spring while preparing for cross-country motorhome trip, I called Texas Toll Road authority. Since I come from a state without toll roads, I inquired about the process for paying tolls. Answer - we do not charge out-of-state drivers for tolls. I confirmed this by having him repeat the answer.

While working with mail service at our home, we discovered a bill for $19.99. Apparently (so far) have not billed us for the motorhome, but did bill us for one day when we used the dinghy on a toll road.

Lessons learned:
1) Do not believe the word of a bureaucrat. Even though the message was repeated twice, we still got billed.

2) With more states going to an EZ-pass system and eliminating cash payment toll booths, more visitors will be stuck with large bills for tolls they had no way to pay. Visitor must consider buying an EZ-pass when he has no use for it in his home state, and any money left in the account will be wasted and not used.

3) The bill arrived in our home with a note that it must be paid by August 17, but we are not arriving home until September. Without our mail service, how would a person be able to pay and amount due. Of course, a bill sent by mail includes more charges.

Kind way to treat visitors to a state.

3)
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Most states will allow you to go online to pay for tolls (missed tolls). Look for signs along the highway that tell you how to pay missed tolls.

I ordered both the Harris County and Texas Tag toll tags. They are on the windshield along with my EZ Pass. Last time I looked TX did not recognize the EZ Pass. Haven't had the motorhome in TX in 2 years, may have changed.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #3

I have blown through Texas tolls 40-50 times and have never received a bill.

Interesting that you did, I would call them back.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:18 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry you got some bad information. As far as I know, everybody who drives on the toll raods pay the tolls. Why wouldn't they? If not, they just haven't tracked you down yet. I have paid tolls in several other states while visiting or passing through. I even have a Pike Pass for OK, to keep from having to stop at every toll booth. I no longer need it because they now accept TxTag. Some states still have hefty fines for not paying. A few years ago in Irvine, CA a couple of our team didn't pay the tolls at the kiosk in their rental cars, and the company who's name the cars were in was sent bills and fines totaling around $100 each.

Lastly, it's not necessary to use toll roads to get around in Texas, unless you are in a hurry.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekegb View Post
Last spring while preparing for cross-country motorhome trip, I called Texas Toll Road authority. Since I come from a state without toll roads, I inquired about the process for paying tolls. Answer - we do not charge out-of-state drivers for tolls. I confirmed this by having him repeat the answer.

3)
I am not aware of a single "Texas Toll Road Authority". When I go from my home to north of Austin, I get 2 or 3 bills from different toll road authorities. You may have talked to one of them, but they are independent as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post

Lastly, it's not necessary to use toll roads to get around in Texas, unless you are in a hurry.
Uhh, you had REALLY better not be in a hurry if you are going from San Antonio to Dallas and don't want to take Rte 130 toll road. I would rather pay $70-80 in tolls than drive I-35 through Austin and Waco.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:53 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
I am not aware of a single "Texas Toll Road Authority". When I go from my home to north of Austin, I get 2 or 3 bills from different toll road authorities. You may have talked to one of them, but they are independent as far as I know.

Uhh, you had REALLY better not be in a hurry if you are going from San Antonio to Dallas and don't want to take Rte 130 toll road. I would rather pay $70-80 in tolls than drive I-35 through Austin and Waco.
I agree except there's no relief for going through Waco yet. I quit driving I-35 to San Antonio or Dallas years ago. I use Hwy 281 since I live just a few miles from it. I do use the toll roads in Austin, including 130, multiple times each day for work.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:05 AM   #7

If you get the pass, and decide you're not going to be in Texas again, you can request, and get, a refund.

And for what it's worth, they ding me every time, my BIL, same state, never.

Go figure.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My Texas tag won't work in NY - I do use the tolls in Texas to stay away from the feared 35 whereever I can. at least in Texas the toll is for nice roads. In NY the road is terrible ( they even lowered the speed on the thru-way to 45 in places because of poor conditions) BUT no problem charging $16.50 \and cash only no credit cards. Can't wait to get Home.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
One of the scanners I pass every day says for "2-axle vehicles, TxTag $1.03, Pay by Mail $1.33". It's just one segment, but that's significant if you use them a lot.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Though we have several Texas lawyers who owe hundreds of thousands (like Al Sharpton), just pay the tolls. If you are in a motorhome stay in the far right lane/booth, it is the wide lane. Don't ask why I know this. Just like every tollway
I have ever driven, in any state, everyone is supposed to pay. If you want to pinch pennies, unhook your toad and drive it, it's cheaper that way!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:02 AM   #11

We rarely use our EZPASS or FL SunPass but it is very convenient when we are on roads where they are used. Congress passed a law that is supposed to merge toll entities into EZPASS by October 2016 so people do not have to have so many different transponders. However, there is no penalty if states do not comply. I assume it will be like the enhanced driver's license requirement. Eventually the govt will get around to making it mandatory.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I had something similar happen in NY. A few weeks after we were home I received a bill, for the toll, and other fees. I sent them a check for the toll, and a letter explaining that I had no idea I was on their toll road, and I saw no toll booths or opportunity to pay. In essence, I pay what I owe, put won't pay for a bunch of fees and penalties. They cashed my check, and I have heard diddly squat since.

I have been down that "surprise" you owe Texas a bunch of money route. If you have to crisscross Dallas the fees will pay for a decent meal. So I plan differently now and avoid them as much as possible. If you wanted to drive in hell, try getting from NE Dallas to Ranger stadium at 5:00 pm on a Friday in a DP with a toad. Just once, was enough. Call me stupid!

Yep, missing Austin and Round Rock is worth the fee.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #13

Everybody using Texas toll roads will be billed. There are four toll systems - two in Austin. Any one of the toll authority windshield tags will work for all four systems. You will be billed by mail if you don't have a tag.

I also own a motorcycle. Unlike the free windshield tags for the car, the motorcycle tag is transponder that costs $45 - $35 of which is refundable when you return the transponder when you no longer need it.

For my tag, which is an EZPass, I can register the license plate of the motorcycle on my account and any time I use the EZPass toll system while on the motorcycle will just be billed to my account. That way I don't have to buy/rent the transponder. However, any use on one of the other three and I will be billed my mail at the higher rate. Since there are two toll system corporations in the Austin system I have be aware that I will be billed to my account for use on the EZPass, but will be billed my mail if I use the other system. The two areas where my license plate will not be billed to my account are the 290 highway and the 183 highway north of Lakeline Mall.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas