Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #1

The best Route for first timers to Florida

I have to drive my 36' Fleetwood down to Ocala Florida but those high hills of Kentucky and Tennessee just kill me bad is there any other route that I could avoid Kentucky and Tennessee and the Sky bridge of Indianapolis and that area also not for me either please if someone know a flat route let me know please .

Thanks
I will appreciated

Angel
dinkie0719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkie0719 View Post
I have to drive my 36' Fleetwood down to Ocala Florida but those high hills of Kentucky and Tennessee just kill me bad is there any other route that I could avoid Kentucky and Tennessee and the Sky bridge of Indianapolis and that area also not for me either please if someone know a flat route let me know please .

Thanks
I will appreciated

Angel
Where are we starting from??? that would help member's to help you........
Old 09-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #3

Quote:

Thanks
I will appreciated

Angel

You can dodge the Sky bridge by going down through Fort Wayne & hitting I75 early. The hills of Ky & Tn are what they are. The ones on I75 are not really steep or all that long.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

From : Grand Rapids Mi. But I could start anywhere even Cleveland OH
dinkie0719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #5

So this is not a direct answer but close. Having driven and still driving commercial now and then (shipping horses) I always keep a truckers atlas in all vehicles. Go to a truck stop and get the large one with the coated pages and spiral binding. No matter where my gps or directions take me I always look on the map to double check. Those maps are great with the plastic laminated sheets as you can open the map while driving and flip to your state (carefully). I think it is the rand McNally truckers road atlas. Highly recommended as backup.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
how far out of the way

Quote:
From : Grand Rapids Mi. But I could start anywhere even Cleveland OH
how far out of the way are you willing and able to travel to avoid the hills?

It is not short, but you could go east to the coast then south, fewer hills but a lot longer and many big city areas.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #7

What about the hills in Florida? Aren't you worried about them?
Old 09-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #8

I'm not aware of a route that makes more sense. Thinking after you've run I75 a few times, that section will become much less intimidating. Just run it while well rested and enjoy the scenery!
Old 09-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:

Thanks
I will appreciated

Angel
I just drove the route from Decatur IN to Tampa Friday night. The hills of TN and KY were not even a challenge for my 2016 36 footer. Now, the roads around Cincinnati? Ugh. The absolute worst of the trip. hat year do you have?
I was passing loaded 18 wheelers with ease. Tow/Haul down shift for going down the hills works great.
What is the concern with the tiny hills of I75? Max elevation was around 2100 ft.

BTW, averaged low 6's in MPG for round trip. The gene was running most of the time with AC running.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #10

I75 through the mountains is no big deal. Driven it many times.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't like traveling I-75 because of the truck traffic. When I travel south to Fla. I travel I-69 south to I-465 around east side of Indy and pick up I-65 south. I have found that the camp ground at the Cave City exit (east of the interstate behind the resturants) Is a nice easy in and out place to spend my first night. No really bad hills, I then travel down and pick up I-24 out of Nashville and angle south back to I-75 near Chattanooga. No major hills other than one at Mt Eagle. Note another nice campground is the KOA at Manchester Tn. I find this more appealing travel than I-75. Also your timing of travel and not entering major citys during rush hr in the AM or between 3-5 pm always make for a much less trying travel around the big cities. Hope this helps.
porchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #12

Take I 69 from Grand Rapids to Lansing, to Fort Wayne, to Indianapolis. Then catch I 65 through Louisville, KY, Nashville,TN and on to Birmingham, Al. Catch I 20 at Birmingham. Go east to Atlanta where you can get on I 75 south to Ocala. No mountains, just rolling hills. Not like east TN.
papajack777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #13

As stated 75 south isn't to bad

If you do not want to take that route then pick up 65 from either Indy or Louisville

Took my gas 38ft Fleetwood down 75 numerous times, just take it slow and you are fine. I would also usually try to plan my trip so I wasn't in the big cities where traffic is bad at rush hour. Cincy as stated with all the construction is horrible, Atlanta can also be really slow....
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:15 AM   #14

Check the Louisville bridge construction before choosing I-64.The Project Overview | Ohio Bridges
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida