Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
The Good the Bad and the Ugly

I am planning a trip cross country next spring, I plan to visit California going I-40 from Tennessee. Starting from Barstow going north on 395 to to Sequoia and Yosemite, then turning west to catch the I=5 and continue north. Just thinking about this route to see the other side of California. Can anyone tell how stupid this might be?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #2

[QUOTE=montiem;936496]I am planning a trip cross country next spring, I plan to visit California going I-40 from Tennessee. Starting from Barstow going north on 395 to to Sequoia and Yosemite, then turning west to catch the I=5 and continue north. Just thinking about this route to see the other side of California. Can anyone tell how stupid this might be?[valley /QUOTE]
sac
Well not stupid,but 395 is "purtier" to me. The hwy 99 goes thru farm areas ,orchards etc. Thats pretty too,it just depends what you like.

Once into the San juaquin valley , be sure to see the Mother Load along hwy 49.

When you leave Sacramento its a much nicer drive to go the hwy 99 north in June thru Sept

The I-5 isnt as nice a drive,but you do miss driving through the towns along the way as I recall.

If you go during hArvest season june thru Sept. There are lots of fruit /nuts/veg stands set up by local farmers.
Im familiar with from Sac, yuba city,marysville on the Hwy 99 and up through Gridley . Thats where most of the fruits,vegs are grown and sold. WONDERFUL buys and the best watermelons,peaches etc. June July August. Especially August.
There are other places along 99 Im sure,but I am not as familiar with those areas. From Sac north its very rural with hwy 99 a 2 lane road and easy pull offs to fruit stands
Also another good area is east of the 99 on Hwy 70. It travels through marysville which is next (east of) Yuba city and goes up to oroville. There are as many fruit stands just north of Marysville.

When North of Marysville and finished stocking up on fruit You can always cut over to hw99 from hwy 70 to resume on the 99 ,north of Gridley, and continue on to chico and north.
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #3

Depends what you want to see. I think 395 from Barstow north is absolutely stunning. You are on the east side of the Sierras and it is really pretty and a lot less traffic. 395 is about 500% better road that I 5 which is so beat up you feel you are driving on a gravel road full of potholls.

We went from Orange County to Eastern Washington up 395 to 97 and through Bend Oregon. Just north of Bend you come over a rise and can see 5 snow capped peaks over 11000 feet high.

If you want to see California coast I would take 101. I 5 is probably one of the most traveled road by trucks in the nation, save perhaps the NJ turnpike and it is beat to hell. The drive from the near Bakersfield north to Sacramento goes through famland and grazing land and it is one of the most boring drives I have ever taken.

Take you time and enjoy all the beautiful scenery there is to see in California, whether it is the Sierras, the desert, the San Joquin valley, or the California coast.

One other point, I 5 north of Sacramento, when we drove it is early July has a lot of one lane road as they are trying to resurface it. Coming south north of Lake Shasta, there was about a 10 mile back up before the signs highlighting one lane traffic ahead. I had to put my foot into the brakes as the traffic came to a sudden halt. Lucky there was no one in the lane next to me as it took all I had to bring it to a safe stop.

Email me off line if you want more specific info Some great recommendations on places to stay.

Enjoy
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not stupid at all but have you given any thought about driving up the coast as long as you are going North? That is one scenic drive. Just a thought.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We are planning to turn west after Sequoia and Yosemite, is Hwy 1 good to Oregon up to Coos Bay.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Another thought is we want to go back to the Big Sur area and stay a couple of days, then head north on 1 and stay on 1 until we at least get through Northern California and Oregon as far as we can go in a 40 MH to get to Washington.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
My suggestion for north of San Francisco is to stay on US Hwy 101 not CA 1. You can take Hwy 101 from San Francisco all the way to the end of Hwy 101 in Washington. Beautiful drive and not a problem with a 40 foot motorhome pulling a car.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hwy 1 is beautiful but hangs on a precipice and very windy--not good travel in a MH of any length and towing. I don't reccomend it to you.

Hwy 395 North of Sequoia is beautiful and a great run into southern Oregon---then if you head west you can go to Coos Bay and back down Hwy 101---my avatar is on 395 North of Reno heading to Oregon----anyway have a great trip
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #9

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Do you plan on using toad to visit Sequoia and Yosemite from Hwy 395? I'm not sure that Sequoia is accesible from 395. Agree with comment regarding using 101 vice 1. Hwy 1 is good in the toad. By pass San Francisco if you do take 101. PM me if you need advice on various routes for Ca, Oregon and Wash.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote