Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #1

The heck with the FL panhandle

Too cold this year. Rather than move further south in FL, we’re headed west to Escondido, CA to spend a month with our son..
I-10 all the way from the Pensacola area until I-8 in SoCal to I-15 to Escondido. Any advise other than enjoy the ride? Leave 1/28 and the weather looks great..
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #2

Pretty hard to 'enjoy the ride' traveling on the I-10
Pickup some mouth guards before you 'hit the road'
And when you finally get to CA....break out the allen wrench/screwdrivers and go thru ALL electrical terminals and tighten them back up.

Best wishes!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

You still may have a frosty morning or two in Escondido but it’s should at least be 60-70’s during the days. I’m in Poway a few miles south
Old 01-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Pretty hard to 'enjoy the ride' traveling on the I-10
Pickup some mouth guards before you 'hit the road'
And when you finally get to CA....break out the allen wrench/screwdrivers and go thru ALL electrical terminals and tighten them back up.

Best wishes!

Yeah, been around the area before. The only stretch of this route I haven’t already been on is the I-10 between Pensacola and Beaumont TX...
What are you driving Old Biscuit?
Old 01-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fuel up before you cross into California! Diesel is $4.49 a gallon in Winterhaven Ca and 2.69 a gallon in Yuma both Chevron Stations
Old 01-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #6

We took that route back in August. No worse than anywhere else in this country in my opinion. Lots of construction west of ElPaso. I think the worst pavement was from Baton Rouge through Houston. I remember a very long causeway with a lot of bad pavement.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
We took that route back in August. No worse than anywhere else in this country in my opinion. Lots of construction west of ElPaso. I think the worst pavement was from Baton Rouge through Houston. I remember a very long causeway with a lot of bad pavement.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:14 PM   #8

If you have any extreme weather would you post, have one recommendation it my worth your time try 190 from Baton Rouge after the Big bridge [emoji563] to I49 better road I20 to Longview is new pavement you can bypass Whiskey Bay on I10
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #9

I took virtually the same trip this past Thanksgiving, I-10 to I-8 to I-15. On the return, we took I-20 into Mississippi then back down to I-10. The extra couple of hundred mile detour was well worth the time rather than the beating we took on I-10 going out. I-10 west bound is not bad until the Baton Rogue area, then hold tight!
paulstravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #10

I live in west central Louisiana and would pick i20 over i10
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I-49 or I-20 ANYTIME there is an option to do so. Construction between Baton Rouge and Lafayette will continue for the next year and half. If traveling West, take US Hwy-190. Good road and less traffic and many good places to eat in Krotz Springs. East bounders take I-49 North in Lafayette and pick up US 190 in Opelousas. Believe me, everyone in your coach will appreciate your decision.

NOTE: Should you not wish to follow my suggestions and stay in I-10..especially driving East, try to time your arrival either mornings or evenings. Traffic at the Mississippi River Bridge towards Baton Rouge can back up for miles... most every afternoon.
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #12

The heck with the FL panhandle

There is now a Buccee’s in Loxley, Alabama. Also, we’ve found Mississippi and Alabama to have nice rest stops for stretching your legs.

The bridge in Baton Rouge over the Mississippi River is a problem child. The last two times we had to go over it, we purposely timed it so that we drove over the bridge at 5am to miss the traffic.
I’ve heard good things about the KOA in Denham Springs (though I’ve never stayed there), should you decide to time it.

After Baton Rouge, stop to use the bathroom. That Atchafalaya Basin Bridge is a long one (over 20 miles, if I recall) and no place to pull over.

From Baton Rouge, it should take you about 3 hours to get to the Beaumont area. There is quite a bit of construction on I 10 in Orange (just after crossing from Louisiana into Texas). You will also run across some road construction west of Beaumont with lots of concrete barricades. Drive slowly through both.

Houston can be a bear if you get there during the rush hours. If you’re arriving between 7 -9 am or between 4-7 pm, stop and wait. If it’s the latter, East Houston RV Resort (formerly a KOA) is a good place to stop for the night. We’ve stayed there twice.
If you are arriving in the morning and just need to wait out the traffic, there is a Cracker Barrel in Baytown. Take the Garth Road exit, and it’s on the right.

Baytown has a Buccee’s, but it is south of the interstate.

Katy (west of Houston) also has a Buccee’s, albeit smaller. We usually stop there when heading west. We also try to get through Houston around 5 am to get ahead of our Bayou City friends on their way to work, so the Katy Buccee’s is a great place to stop for a breakfast burrito and coffee while you fill your gas tank.

I don’t recall there being much construction west of Houston. It’s a pleasant drive as you head west, unless you get into some wind.

Stop in the Texas Hill Country for a few days if you have time. It’s called God’s Country for good reason. It’s absolutely beautiful.
I’ve enjoyed the state parks there, especially the ones you find on the spring-fed river banks.

Happy trails!!
Oct Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:25 PM   #13

The last post left out construction that started 2 weeks ago on the I-210 loop around Lake Charles, LA which is down to 1 lane in places (estimated 2 years until completion), almost forcing you to take the very steep, narrow and old (built in 1949) I-10 bridge, one of the steepest bridges on any interstate highway. Also moderate levels of construction (as of last summer) on the west side of San Antonio.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #14

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Can’t wait to almost be forced to take the steep, narrow and old I-10 bridge...what?