Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2019, 05:00 AM   #1

The million dollar question AGAIN !

Is there any other route planner that is user-friendly where I can download the route into a Garmin GPS. I have tried to use Basecamp the last couple years and it takes hours to create a route and have it correct. I spent hours last night looking at routes I had created and if you zoom in and follow the rules there are small mistakes everywhere.
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2019, 06:02 AM   #2

Frank-

I struggled with Basecamp also. I finally had an "aha" moment, figuring out how Garmin expects us to set up routes in Basecamp. Now I can set up a route in a couple minutes. You can, too.

There are alternatives that will upload to a Garmin. I have used only one, Google Maps. It was not much simpler than Basecamp in my pre-"aha" days.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Frank-

I struggled with Basecamp also. I finally had an "aha" moment, figuring out how Garmin expects us to set up routes in Basecamp. Now I can set up a route in a couple minutes. You can, too.

There are alternatives that will upload to a Garmin. I have used only one, Google Maps. It was not much simpler than Basecamp in my pre-"aha" days.
Please explain your "aha" moment. Possible a brief explanation.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Please explain your "aha" moment. Possible a brief explanation.
First off, it helps speed things up if you load the Garmin maps to the computer. THAT is a slow and confusing exercise, but once completed, enhances the experience greatly.

Second, and this is the "aha!" moment, Basecamp uses the "local" map view as the focus for searches. In other words, if I want to set a route endpoint, zoom in on the map until that endpoint is near the map center and the zoom level such that the map scale is 10 miles or less. Then, search for the route endpoint.

Third, use folders and lists.

Fourth, you don't need to convert items to waypoints to use them in a route.

Fifth, If you use click-and-drag to change a route, zoom in to the highest level on the waypoint that creates and make sure it's on the correct side of any divided highway.

Process:

A) In the upper left-hand corner, right-click on "My Collection" and select "New List Folder."

B) Name that Folder "New Route" (or, whatever you want).

C) Right-click on the "New Route" folder and select "New List." Make sure the bottom-left window now says "New List." You can rename this, too.

D) On the map, scroll to center the route start point.

E) Now, take the magnifier tool (tool bar) and zoom in on the start point.

F) In the search box in the upper-right, enter your search term.

[In the test case I just did to make these instructions, I zoomed into New York City and selected "1 Rockefeller Plaza."]

G) From the list that pops down, select your route start point and, holding down the left mouse button, drag that selection over to the "New List" window in the bottom-left.

H) Zoom out, scroll and zoom in again on the map area that contains your route endpoint.

I) In the search box, enter your route endpoint search term.

[In the test case, I selected "Grand Canyon Camper Village"]

J) Select your route endpoint, and drag that over to the "New List" window.

K) Select the two endpoints in the "New List" window. (Hold down Shift or Ctrl key and left-click the mouse as needed.)

L) Right-clicking on one of the endpoints, select "Create Route using Selected Endpoints."

M) Modify as desired.

That will get you a route, in a baker's dozen steps.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:05 AM   #5

Trip planing

Personally I use RVPARKY https://www.rvparky.com/ to do routes. Its about the simplest one I have found. I run Camp Ground reviews Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks (was rv park reviews) in another window for RV park selection.

Dave
dsteep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:07 PM   #6

What would be the easiest way to enter the route you wanna take for, instance, I want to take Route 91 to 84 to 64 Ect
Old 01-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
What would be the easiest way to enter the route you wanna take for, instance, I want to take Route 91 to 84 to 64 Ect
Here are two ways. Try them and decide which you find easiest.

1) Select waypoints the same way you selected route endpoints and add them to the route.

2) Alt-click and drag the route to the roads you want to travel. NOTE: This creates very tiny waypoints that may or may not be exactly where they need to be. For example, if you are working at a large scale, the waypoint may be several hundred feet off the road- in a parking lot, for instance- or may be on the northbound side of the road, when you want to be on the southbound side. Some zooming and moving of the waypoint is usually required.

There probably are other ways, but I can't think of them right now.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #8

That is the problem I’m having, I end up having a waypoint off the highway or going north instead of south that’s what takes me so long to Create a route!
Old 01-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #9

It is quicker for me to create a waypoint using and address.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #10

What if I just want to stay on the highway’s
Old 01-30-2019, 05:31 AM   #11

Quote:
That is the problem I’m having, I end up having a waypoint off the highway or going north instead of south that’s what takes me so long to Create a route!
Per method 2 of my post #7, to fix that:

1) Double-click on the route in the lower-left window ("New List"). This opens the route properties window.

2) Click once on the name of the waypoint that is out of line.

3) Close the route properties window.

4) Zoom out until you see the place to which you want to move the waypoint.

5) Holding down the "Alt" key, click on the misplaced waypoint and drag it to the correct location. (NOTE: The "hand" tool must be selected to Alt-click-drag.)

6) To ensure that the waypoint is correctly-placed, zoom to maximum magnification and Alt-click-drag until it is.

I've made a GPX file for a route between the Eastern States Exposition Center (West Springfield, MA) and Chickahominy Riverfront Park (Williamsburg, VA), via I-91S, I-84W, I-81S and I-64E. It only took two added waypoints to force the route onto those highways. You can bring a file into your copy of BaseCamp by using the "File" and then "Import" menu selections (upper-left corner). Send me a private message that includes your e-mail address and I'll send the file to you.

If you haven't sent a private message on iRV2 yet, the easiest way is to left-click once on the user name in the yellow box to the left, and select "Send a private message to..." from the drop-down menu. This post describes a second way to send private messages.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Is there any other route planner that is user-friendly where I can download the route into a Garmin GPS.

I have tried to use Basecamp the last couple years and it takes hours to create a route and have it correct.

I spent hours last night looking at routes

I had created and if you zoom in and follow the rules there are small mistakes everywhere.
Either this - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rand-McNa...0e&athena=true - OR break the trip into Very Short Sections and put then into the GPS.

ONLY solution I've found.

Send the Check - ------
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Per method 2 of my post #7, to fix that:

1) Double-click on the route in the lower-left window ("New List"). This opens the route properties window.

2) Click once on the name of the waypoint that is out of line.

3) Close the route properties window.

4) Zoom out until you see the place to which you want to move the waypoint.

5) Holding down the "Alt" key, click on the misplaced waypoint and drag it to the correct location. (NOTE: The "hand" tool must be selected to Alt-click-drag.)

6) To ensure that the waypoint is correctly-placed, zoom to maximum magnification and Alt-click-drag until it is.

I've made a GPX file for a route between the Eastern States Exposition Center (West Springfield, MA) and Chickahominy Riverfront Park (Williamsburg, VA), via I-91S, I-84W, I-81S and I-64E. It only took two added waypoints to force the route onto those highways. You can bring a file into your copy of BaseCamp by using the "File" and then "Import" menu selections (upper-left corner). Send me a private message that includes your e-mail address and I'll send the file to you.

If you haven't sent a private message on iRV2 yet, the easiest way is to left-click once on the user name in the yellow box to the left, and select "Send a private message to..." from the drop-down menu. This post describes a second way to send private messages.
Thank you for all the help I spent a few hours and I think I got it down pat. But I did notice you mention West Springfield Ma that’s my hometown where are you from
Old 01-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #14

Frank-

I live in Western New Hampshire. I've spent a number of pleasant hours at the "Big E" in West Springfield. I saw (in your user profile) that you live in West Springfield, so that's why I used that as the starting point for the "demo" route.

I'm happy to share what little I know about Basecamp. Just send me a private message with your questions, or your contact info, if connecting that way makes more sense.