Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #15

The speed limit on the Trace is 50 not 55 and it even drops lower in the last section before you get to Nashville. The most scenic part is the northern section. Tupelo Ms is about half way. There are no low clearance issues. A couple of the scenic pull offs are not drive through and would be an issue towing four down but most are drive through. They are marked at the entrance. Just remember, it's a 200 yard wide 445 mile long national park with no hunting. At night it belongs to the deer. Get off before the sun goes down.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
The speed limit on the Trace is 50 not 55 and it even drops lower in the last section before you get to Nashville. The most scenic part is the northern section. Tupelo Ms is about half way. There are no low clearance issues. A couple of the scenic pull offs are not drive through and would be an issue towing four down but most are drive through. They are marked at the entrance. Just remember, it's a 200 yard wide 445 mile long national park with no hunting. At night it belongs to the deer. Get off before the sun goes down.
OOPS! My bad! Don't know why I said 55!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Restrictions: the info I have is the parkway is limited for the combine length RV and towed trailer or toad of 55' and a heigh limit of 14 feet. Not sure of axle or combine weight limits.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Restrictions: the info I have is the parkway is limited for the combine length RV and towed trailer or toad of 55' and a heigh limit of 14 feet. Not sure of axle or combine weight limits.
I doubt they would enforce that. JMHO
Old 02-04-2021, 10:21 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree, at worst case I'm thinking they would have you exit the parkway.

My memory has the parkway as being okay for long. But maybe its the rest areas and pull off's they dont want the trailer or toad going in the grass or over the curbs??
Old 02-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
I agree, at worst case I'm thinking they would have you exit the parkway.

My memory has the parkway as being okay for long. But maybe its the rest areas and pull off's they dont want the trailer or toad going in the grass or over the curbs??
You're probably right. Also, some of the pull-offs are not very large so you have to be really careful with a big rig!
Old 02-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #21

We have run the whole Trace a number of times and both ways, but I keep warning those that do not know that there is no fuel on the Trace proper, so do the research and plan your fuel stops.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:44 AM   #22

Grand Design Owners Club
Good resturant at the northern terminus “Loveless Cafe”. We eat there a few times a year. Also stop and see the Meriwether Lewis gravesite. He was a very interesting person.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:19 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Normally quite enjoyable. But last trip we pulled into Mount Locust which was not posted as closed that we saw until you get to the closed and locked gate a good way down the drive. And we had even checked park alerts on-line prior.
Nothing to do but unhook (motorhome towing) and manuever get hooked up and going in the other direction to exit. What an easily avoidable pain.

We were able to wave a couple of fifth wheels that would have had a great opportunity to practice straight line backing skills. Not impressed with NPS information provision at this park!
Old 02-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121 View Post
Normally quite enjoyable. But last trip we pulled into Mount Locust which was not posted as closed that we saw until you get to the closed and locked gate a good way down the drive. And we had even checked park alerts on-line prior.
Nothing to do but unhook (motorhome towing) and manuever get hooked up and going in the other direction to exit. What an easily avoidable pain.

We were able to wave a couple of fifth wheels that would have had a great opportunity to practice straight line backing skills. Not impressed with NPS information provision at this park!
Where is Mount Locust?
Old 02-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Where is Mount Locust?
Just north of Natchez. Mile 15.5
Old 02-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Check the website https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm for the latest info. Some pull off areas close to remove storm damage.

• Check road conditions before you leave on a trip.
  • Know that the Parkway's lanes are narrower than normal roadways and that the road has little to no shoulder for most of the route.
  • Watch for bicyclists as they have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists. Share the road and give at least 3 feet of space when passing.
  • Watch for wildlife on the road, especially in the morning and evening.
  • If driving a recreational vehicle (RV) be alert to areas closed to RVs. Visit our recreational vehicle page https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/rvs.htm for more information.
Their RV page lists 6 different pulloffs that are closed to RV's ALL the time. The page also list bridge heights.

If you intend to stay at the Thousand Trail CG at mp 380 (private) 800-288-7245, DO NOT FOLLOW YOUR GPS, FOLLOW THE CG WEBSITE DIRECTIONS FOLLOWING A GPS WILL EXIT YOU RIGHT INTO AN 11'0" UNDERPASS, WITH VERY LITTLE TIME TO REACT, AS EVIDENCED BY A/C PARTS LAYING BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

It is best to get off at Meriwether Lewis Monument turnoff and get on TN20 and take Napier Road road from Summertown.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
I rode it on a motorcycle several years ago and managed to hit it on a weekend that there was a Dodge Viper rally there. I kept seeing all those Vipers and wondered why in the world you'd have a Viper rally on a road with a 50 mph speed limit.
I also did the whole length of the trace on motorcycle this past fall. Terrific serinic ride -440 miles or so uninterrupted. Spent a night in Tupelo which is a very nice town (Elvis birthtown). The towns of Natchez and Vicksburg were somewhat of a letdown (spent 2Nd night in Vicksburg- better of the two). I’d plan to pass thru both the next time.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:34 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are 3 primitive free campgrounds on the parkway, which will work in spring and fall. Winter I think they they are closed. But off the parkway there are a bunch of COE CG's at water control sites of the river with electric and water hookups.

Tags
ace