Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The Natchez Trace Parkway

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/miss...ent=nlbuttonB6
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for sharing. We drove the parkway during a weekday. It was extermly enjoyable. About 30 mile from the nashvill starting point there was almost no traffic. I'm thinking we had maybe 3 cars pass the camper and the norm was to see a car coming the other way every few minutes.

We camped at COE CG sitting on the river just outside Tupelo MS. Maybe 3 miles off the PW.

Any time I get a chance to drive I will. Parts of it has below 55 mph speed limits. But there are almost no stop signs or lights.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for posting Joe. I've ridden the entire length of the NTP on our motorcycle and it's a laid back, scenic ride or drive.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We got the best MPG mileage on the Trace!
Set the cruise to 51 mph and enjoyed the ride! Miles per gallon was over 12
Scotialaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #5

So many thanks for posting that Joe, it's on our bucket list! So beautiful and awesome to hear how the local farmers are planting crops relevant to bygone eras for visitor's benefits as much as their own.

For sure we'd love to do the whole trace on one of our trips, but those that have done it can you share if the Southern half from Natchez to Tulepo would give the best taste if unable to get all the way up to Nashville or is the upper part from Tulepo to Nashville better?

Just asking as on one of our "soon as border reopened", planned multi month trips we could fit in the southern part but not the whole thing, and if it's a "must do the whole thing" then we'd forgo it until we had the opportunity to do it all a few years in the future.

So much to see and do so little time. Lovely link again thanks Joe.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We been talking about doing the mississippi river drive. Starting at the Headwater in MN during the color change and ending it at Natchez's and heading back to Ohio via the parkway to Nashville.

This was on our fall trip plan for last year then this year, but now maybe next year. Covid has not been cooperate.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Just a couple of things you need to be aware of! The speed limit is 55 MPH, and it is strictly enforced! Don't count on them giving you 5 MPH over!

Also, the road is excellent, but just a little narrow for Class A's. Just stay away from that center line!
Old 02-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
A must see on the Trace is at mile marker 338 in Alabama: Tom Hendrix's memorial to his great-great-grandmother Te-lah-nay, a Yuchi Indian healer who was swept up in the Trail of Tears in the 1830s. A hand laid stone wall, a mysterious, eccentric and some say spiritual place, a tribute to her journey to Oklahoma and her five-year return.

https://www.natcheztracetravel.com/n...tone-wall.html

Also Muscle Shoals is located 24 miles off the Trace at highway 72 exit. You will find Helen Keller Birth Place in Tuscumbia, and the "Fame Recording Studios" in Muscle Shoals

Helen Keller Birth Place: Helen Keller Birthplace - LW

Fame Recording Studios: FAME :: Home

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #9

We drove a section of The Trace in 2018 when we picked up our Oliver from Hohenwald. Beautiful area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Also, the road is excellent, but just a little narrow for Class A's. Just stay away from that center line!
We had a pretty small travel trailer but I recall passing under a few old-looking stone bridges. Any concerns with clearance as well as width?
Old 02-03-2021, 05:05 PM   #10

The section from Nashville to Tupelo is generally considered to be the most scenic. However, it's a unique drive no matter what part you are on. Tupelo and Jackson have appropriated the Trace as part of their local traffic mess, that's kind of unpleasant. Definitely a worthwhile attraction unless you hit it when the pine trees are exploding their yellow pollen. Unbelievable!!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
We drove a section of The Trace in 2018 when we picked up our Oliver from Hohenwald. Beautiful area.

We had a pretty small travel trailer but I recall passing under a few old-looking stone bridges. Any concerns with clearance as well as width?
No problems with clearances that I'm aware of!
Old 02-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #12

Drove it years ago. As I recall it was 45 mph speed limit back then, which made it seem like it took forever to go from Tupelo to Jackson. I'm sure I'd enjoy it a lot more now that I'm old.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We drove part of the Trace a couple of years back and it was nice and relaxed. Nice change of pace.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:40 PM   #14

I rode it on a motorcycle several years ago and managed to hit it on a weekend that there was a Dodge Viper rally there. I kept seeing all those Vipers and wondered why in the world you'd have a Viper rally on a road with a 50 mph speed limit.

Tags
ace