Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tire chains

Planning on traveling I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction in our 40ft Class A, DP. Colorado has a winter driving requirement to have chains or autosocks with you. IF, I had to chain up, do you chain up both duals (single axle) or just the outside dual?
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are several threads that address this issue. My personal opinion is that if you have to chain up you shouldn't drive. Unless you are on a dire mission it's always safer to just sit it out in a comfortable location. Chains are not indestructible. When they break, the clearance on most MHs is so small that they wind up doing a tremendous amount of damage to your RV. IMHO carry the chains so they don't hassle you, but don't put them on.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
T IMHO carry the chains so they don't hassle you, but don't put them on.
And those other threads indicate that there are some areas where you have to have chains with you based on the time of year, not just the weather.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #4

How about waiting a day or two and go through when the roads are clear. I would not use chains— the risks out weigh the need of “ getting through”.
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can chain just the outside rear tires, if you must. Then plan on driving around 15 mph to avoid breaking the chains and damaging the motorhome as noted above. Also, as noted by others, the best idea is don't drive if you need chains. The beauty of an RV is to be able to stop just about anywhere when you need to. Just be sure you don't decide to stop in a chain-up area. Big no-no.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:02 AM   #6

buy some common cheap chain of about the right size for tire chains.

wrap it around your hitch, drag it around the block a few times.

soak it in a homer bucket full of salt water.

Drain the water, place in RV.

Now you have a reasonable facsimile for tire chains at much lower cost, to show if asked. The rustier they are, the less someone's going to dig around in the bucket.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:49 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
And those other threads indicate that there are some areas where you have to have chains with you based on the time of year, not just the weather.

I figured that this had be discussed somewhere before, but could find it.

This is my situation exactly. In CO, you have to have something with you. I definitely don't plan on traveling if the weather is bad. The weather can change fast and if I got caught in bad weather, the point of my question, just wanted to know what to do to get to the next exit.

Thanks to everyone for the replies... latest weather report for I-70 west from Denver to Grand Junction is good for the end of the week...high 50's
Old 11-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #8

I have chained up a lot of high voltage bucket trucks in my day and driven them. Only one broke in 32 years. Only the outside tires. One invents new cusssss words doing dual chains.
Look up and or call a company that sells what they call quick chains, I have a set for my 2500 truck, wrap around connect and adjust and done. Soposed to be able to drive 50mph on dry pavement. They pack smaller than the other type.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
anyone have suggestion for chains for HR Ambassador with "255/70R22.5H" tires?
John C Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:51 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Irish View Post
anyone have suggestion for chains for HR Ambassador with "255/70R22.5H" tires?
John,

From doing some research looking for some chains, I would suggest that you try Tirechains.com. You just put in your tire size and it comes up with the chains which will fit your tire.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #11

If you are going to chain up; then you normally chain both rear tires together. The chains for trucks come that way. You just have to drive very slow to avoid chain slap. Retighten your chains after a short drive and all will be well. Now for me I would just stop and camp right there until that weather is over.
Best to just store the chain for inspection.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
FIRST and Foremost: MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

Now for the pressing issue: Is there a comprehensive list/posting that shows where chains are mandated, and how to re-calculate our routes to avoid those places? Born and raised in New England, I have grown up driving in snow from my 66 mustang to several FULL size SUV's hauling 16' twin axle work trailers in any/all weather conditions. HOWEVER, this is my first foray into the world of RV (especially 36' diesel pusher.....)(and will be toading a Toyota Camry on dolly: I may sound stupid with this next question: are there any places that require chains on dolly or toad? And what about towing restricted all together??

Thanks
johncirish@Reagan.com
John C Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I have no idea what the enforcement is for non commercial trucks. The commercial tractor I team drove between Portland Or and Denver Co 2x a week, 3 railers ( chains that cover both rear tires ) were the law in most areas. Otherwise the chained tire "floats" on the snow and does little good as the inside tire held it up. That said I used singles on the outside tire in light snow and ice. I broke plenty of heavy duty Pwag chains. destroyed plenty of mud flaps , but they weren't mine and the trailers were steel ..not flimsy fiberglass. Again , I don't know what a towed rule is as its different from a trailer in places but "drag chains" were required on one tire of trailers brake axle for obvious reasons.
I will Never need to know any of this as I will NEVER drive in snow or ice that covers the road. Seen too many Colorado etc RVers upside down or on their side. Retired from all that stress!
Old 12-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #14

This is not a buy xyz chain(s) and you are good.

Single, 3-rail and auto socks all work, but each has a particular area they work best.

Singles work well in very compact shallow snow or ice. It gives you enough traction to keep moving. They are easy to install as you just carry a block or two, drive up on it with the inside dual and then you can easily install the chain on the outside tire.

Risk is that if you are in deep snow you can dig down with the chain tire to the point the inside tire is on the snow. Now your chain can not dig down to get traction.

3-rail give more traction, as there is 2x as much chain. Also you do not run the risk of digging down.

Down side is they are heavy and take more time/effort to install.

Auto socks are super cool, but are not a replacement for chains. They are super light and are super fast to install. They greatly increase traction on slick surfaces. I have never used them in deep snow so I can not comment on that.

Down side is that if you run them on any surface that is not snow/ice they can wear out very quickly. I believe as quickly as in a few miles.

If you are just needing them to meet the law, buy whatever is cheapest.
If you are buying them to meet the law and for safety, pick whatever makes the most sense in your situation. I will say make sure to test fit them before you actually need them. Your chains, singles or 3-rail will likely not fit right out of the box.

I live in the north and with our previous trailer it got used year round. I do not intentionally head out in bad weather, but our roads can suck for several months out of the year. Also some of the places we travel may require more traction early/late in the season. For my pick up I bough 3-rail chains. While I am 4x4, if I need chains I wanted the most traction I could get. In my new truck which is a HDT (tandem axel semi) I will have 1 set of singles and 1 set of 3-rail. The single will do the job most of the time, but if I need chains there is no substitute for 3-rail.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote