Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2022, 12:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Toledo Ohio to Oshkosh Wisconsin via Chicago

Heading out next week to Oshkosh from NW Ohio. Anyone know currently whether the best way through Chicago is right up thru the city on 90 or go a bit west and take 294 around. I have driven both over the years going to Oshkosh, but not sure which is currently the best due to possible construction. We will leave on a Thursday evening putting us in the Chicago area around 9-10pm.

The return trip a week later will have us entering down into Chicago around 11:00am.

90 thru the city is a bit shorter distance, but negotiating traffic and construction in the 40' Monaco is not fun.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2022, 04:00 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH299 View Post
Heading out next week to Oshkosh from NW Ohio. Anyone know currently whether the best way through Chicago is right up thru the city on 90 or go a bit west and take 294 around. I have driven both over the years going to Oshkosh, but not sure which is currently the best due to possible construction. We will leave on a Thursday evening putting us in the Chicago area around 9-10pm.

The return trip a week later will have us entering down into Chicago around 11:00am.

90 thru the city is a bit shorter distance, but negotiating traffic and construction in the 40' Monaco is not fun.
We travel this several times a year and our default is 294 because it tends to flow better, but we *always* check google maps real-time as we get close to the split because it changes daily and even hourly. Best bet is to do the same. Check real time conditions as you get near the 90/94 split.

The absolute best time to travel through Chicago (lightest traffic) is during a Bears game. But that won't help you now.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:59 AM   #3

A month ago or so i drove east through there and took 294. Awful time … really rough roads, a lot of construction, traffic and stopped traffic everywhere. (And i was driving a mini cooper, not even an rv!)

Returning west i ditched the chicago area almost totally and cut west to pick up I39 northbound near Paw Paw. Seems like it is a little longer distance, but not by all that much, but had better roads, little traffic, and i think it is a toss up in terms of which option is actually faster.

Going forward, this will be my default when i have to go around chicago…

Have fun at oshkosh! I was there last year, and arriving the day before the show started the campground was already almost 90% full. Unless things are different this year, i would get there 2-3 days early if you want to try to get your pick of a spot…
Old 07-17-2022, 09:55 AM   #4
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I would suggest I80 to I39 north

I39 to Madison and pick up US-151 to Fond-du-Lac

There you can jump onto I41 north.

Yes, more miles but allot less grief and better roads. Only a short section of I80 is terrible and that is right after it splits going west from I90.

Have fun at the air show.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:27 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
That's 100 extra miles and 90 minutes longer per Google Maps. At todays prices, $100 in fuel. Really worth it, vs slugging it out through Chicago?
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
That's 100 extra miles and 90 minutes longer per Google Maps. At todays prices, $100 in fuel. Really worth it, vs slugging it out through Chicago?

That would be a personal choice and a matter of how you value dollars versus time versus traffic, construction and nasty drivers.

For me the answer is, yes, definitely worth it
Old 07-19-2022, 08:53 AM   #7

Just did the 94-294-94 thing through Chicago a week ago. On the way North (from Detroit to Wisconsin) on a Friday afternoon, we spent about an hour extra in traffic. Some was on 94 before we even got to 294 though. It was a bit better on the return trip on Sunday afternoon, but it was still terribly bumpy. I went to Elkhart Lake, north of Milwaukee. If I ever go anyplace further west, I'll definitely look at I-39 as a possible route.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Traveling 294 through Chicago requires alertness and patience. That's all. We use it, 40' DP plus toad, several times a year.

Following I80 west to I39 north through Rockford? Can't recommend taking a big rig through the Joliet area on I80 if you can avoid it. Road conditions are seriously deficient, even dangerous for a big rig. Unless you are the type that can't deal with heavy traffic, 294 will save you time and money and potential serious damage to your rig. You will find other similar posts on this forum regarding I80 through Joliet.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
Traveling 294 through Chicago requires alertness and patience. That's all. We use it, 40' DP plus toad, several times a year.

Following I80 west to I39 north through Rockford? Can't recommend taking a big rig through the Joliet area on I80 if you can avoid it. Road conditions are seriously deficient, even dangerous for a big rig. Unless you are the type that can't deal with heavy traffic, 294 will save you time and money and potential serious damage to your rig. You will find other similar posts on this forum regarding I80 through Joliet.

I guess this will just need to remain a personal choice thing. A little more than a month ago idid both options … 294 eastbound and the i80/39 option westbound. Both had construction and rough roads … the joliet area not being the absolute rig killer some have mentioned. Did that stretch a year ago in the eastbound direction and did not note anything that awful.

For me, getting away from the congestion, impatient city drivers, and stop and go traffic is well worth the potential additional time. Again, personal preference i guess
Old 07-21-2022, 12:26 PM   #10

If you have time.... take the scenic route through Michigan & the Upper Peninsula. Or... take the ferry across.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:36 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you have time.... take the scenic route through Michigan & the Upper Peninsula. Or... take the ferry across.
That's a pretty long detour if you are coming from south of Lake Michigan.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
That's a pretty long detour if you are coming from south of Lake Michigan.

Yes, and one I'd gladly take to avoid the Chicago mess and to explore beautiful country. Just depends how much time he has.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led