Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Might be because they could have been charged for a 4 axle vehicle, which are typically heavy weight, vs charging for two 2 axle vehicles (rv plus toad).
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
Every interstate in Florida has tolls. Many in the north east too.
No they don't. Incorrect information.

Some sections of some Interstates in Florida have tolls.

Most toll roads in Florida are not Interstate roads.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #17

Not sure if it's the same everywhere but lived in Florida and Texas most my time in USA and toll roads usually are called toll road, express road, turnpike, etc. most hwy's and interstate roads are not toll roads. But in Texas we do now have a new state hwy that goes to the Austin race track hwy 161 I believe and it's a toll road, makes it hard to tell. I just set my phone gps to avoid tolls, that way I can see primary no toll and secondary routes to see if it's worth paying the tolls or not
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #18

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
I can't recall any tolls in Florida on I-10. It goes from the far west to the far east part of the State across the panhandle.

you hit the nail on the HEAD! this is why folks ask a simple question and yet get a 'not very clear' answer, even from many well-meaning folks:

FLORIDA, for example.

Every Interstate does NOT, I mean DOES NOT, have tolls! that's just plain wrong!

As this reply said, 'I can't recall any tolls in Florida on I-10', and they are absolutely RIGHT. There are NONE.

but, even to a greater point. Just because 'some' areas of an interstate are 'tolled', does not lead to the fact that the 'whole state' is tolled. That's a little ridiculous. I've driven Florida many, many times and never paid a single toll!

Now, if you ask about I75, one of the longest interstates in FLorida, there is not a single toll NORTH or SOUTH. But, to be exact, and IF you desire to drive across the state from East to West, between Naples and FtLauderdale, then YES, there will be a toll, but ONLY on that section, called 'Alligator Alley'. This, in itself, does not make I75 a toll interstate, ONLY the portion that is mentioned.

Is I95 a 'tolled' Interstate. NO. Nowhere, North the South. Does it have 'managed' toll lanes, yes, but they are not required to be driven on.
Is the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, on I275 below Tampa, tolled? Yes, but only if YOU choose to drive it, versus staying I75.

Yes, does Florida have the Florida Turnpike, which is tolled, sure, but that's NOT an interstate, it is a Florida owned highway. There are many in Florida, but yet not a single one is 'required' to use when you are there, they are only available if you 'wish' to use them.

just rantin', but thanks for the time : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPO1980 View Post
Might be because they could have been charged for a 4 axle vehicle, which are typically heavy weight, vs charging for two 2 axle vehicles (rv plus toad).
For grins I ran the toll for 4 axle over 7 ft high and came out with something like $12 for PA state line to Buffalo and ~ $56 for Buffalo to the Massachusetts spur to the Mass Pike. There is no toll through the greater Buffalo area so it breaks there. I picked that route as it is the common cross state route. If they did the PA line to NYC via Albany they paid a lot more in added milage than they did in tolls. The run across the south side of the state is obvious and free.

Note - I am not saying he did not pay that out in tolls, I am saying there is a "rest of the story" story.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
List of Toll/Managed Lanes USA.....
Note several in CA and CO.
Most in FL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
There are very few tolls in Florida, are you kidding me!
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Wasn't sure about other states, but in OK a four axle toll was more double the two axle toll. Don't know if they also consider height .
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Yep. When we drove from Chicago to Chincoteague Island, VA last fall it cost me about $120 in tolls...one way. The toll across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge alone was $12.
Coming home we took US 30, much more fun and relaxing and no tolls until we hit Illinois, which are basically unavoidable unless you want to spend all day sitting at stoplights.
Actually that is only true if you live or visit north of I-80. We have an I-pass and travel all over Illinois. The only time we need it is when we visit Chicago and Rockford.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
$108+ to cross I 90 through New York state! 4 axle's........
Yup...that is why we take I-86 / I-88 to avoid being robbed. If you need to get across the state from Erie PA. to Albany NY. it's a beautiful route.

FYI, If you need to get across southern PA. be ready to pay up using the PA. Turnpike. Especially the most western section. Pulling a travel trailer the first 9 miles costs $22 (one way). If we get off at exit 91 ( 91 miles total ) the toll is $36. So $72 round trip to go to what used to be one of our favorite state parks. All the way across the state is $92.

More of our RVing trips are now staying more north and taking the free I-80 to the state parks in the northern section of the state.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWoodward View Post
Not sure if it's the same everywhere but lived in Florida and Texas most my time in USA and toll roads usually are called toll road, express road, turnpike, etc. most hwy's and interstate roads are not toll roads. But in Texas we do now have a new state hwy that goes to the Austin race track hwy 161 I believe and it's a toll road, makes it hard to tell. I just set my phone gps to avoid tolls, that way I can see primary no toll and secondary routes to see if it's worth paying the tolls or not
TX-130 is the toll road that sorta parallels I-35. It starts just below Waco and goes south to Seguin on I-10
End to end it coat about $66 if you are towing. The speed limit is 85 mph but most drive around 100 mph. Using the toll road you avoid Round Rock and Austin and save about 1.5 hours and avoid I-35s 100+ miles of construction.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #25

The politicians in the northeast, and YES--IN FLORIDA, have figured out a great way to screw the heavy truckers and RV'ers with tolls. In fact, don't try things like the Verrazano or George Washington Bridge to New York or any other toll roads without a pocket full of money. These clowns have found a way to soak vehicles with more than 2 axles to pump a cash cow without any backlash. It's the out of stater's and the truckers who are screwed and they have little or no political clout. We've found the toll on US 50 over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is over $10 more when we cross hooked up vs when we separate the toad and the Bus and drive over separately. Most tolls in the northeast can be paid with an EZPass, but depending on which state issues the pass determines the tolls charged. Another way to screw the out of stater's and not get backlash from local commuters. Stay west and south. It's prettier, cheaper and less crowded.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Actually that is only true if you live or visit north of I-80. We have an I-pass and travel all over Illinois. The only time we need it is when we visit Chicago and Rockford.
This is correct. We live north of I-80.
But Illinois is in such dire financial straits that I think you will start to see more and more sections in Illinois eventually become toll roads.
Counting the days before we can move out of this hell hole.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
This is correct. We live north of I-80.
But Illinois is in such dire financial straits that I think you will start to see more and more sections in Illinois eventually become toll roads.
Counting the days before we can move out of this hell hole.
When we returned from picking up our new RV trailer in OR. and bringing it back to Ohio last Oct. the section of I-80 between Joliet IL and South Bend IN. was in deplorable shape. Especially around Joliet, every bridge abutment had chuckholes that were a danger to the traveling public. And that was before winter hit.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #28

I used to live in Calif. They call their interstate a Free Way.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote