Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2023, 10:30 PM   #15

There are toll roads in Texas, but as was pointed out, easy to avoid. A few days ago we were headed to Hueco Tanks SP, north east of eel Paso. I didn't realize until we saw the toll sign the route we were following had a toll. Easily avoided it by staying on I-10 for a few more miles.

In the Dallas Ft Worth area, I-20 is easier if you're going to the north of Ft Worth. When we took the car into San Francisco, a call to the toll authority easily took care of the tolll.

For most of our cross country travels we stay on interstates because we have to be in certain stops to make. I routed us on hwy 90 from south of Ft Stockton to almost Galveston, what a great road and in excellent condition so far.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2023, 07:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaneene View Post
Thanks all for the info - I was having nightmares of $$$ of tolls that I wasn't expecting and ya'll have put my mind to rest!

Here's a pic of our planned trip Attachment 388749
That's a big trip. Tolls shouldn't be an issue, especially since you already have an Easy Pass. Kansas is where you will most likely see a toll road or 2. If there are others, they will be easy to avoid. How much time have you allowed of this plan?
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 07:35 AM   #17
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas will bill off your license plate. South and East bound bridges in California are free. You are fine with your EZ Pass.
If you have a couple of weeks you can get a TexTag for a $10 deposit that covers TX, OK, and KS and not wait for the bill. Also a little cheaper for the tolls.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
That's a big trip. Tolls shouldn't be an issue, especially since you already have an Easy Pass. Kansas is where you will most likely see a toll road or 2. If there are others, they will be easy to avoid. How much time have you allowed of this plan?
Five weeks!
Jeaneene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:48 PM   #19

There are many great highways to take to avoid tolls and they're more scenic than an interstate..... even in Kansas!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:06 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you get a IL EZ pass your covered for all the states east of the Mississippi.

But there are 11 states with tolls west of the river. There does not seem to be a common card for these states. If your taking a long trip somehow you need to pay those tolls. It would be nice if you could pay by cash. Lots of States you don't have the option to pay with cash at a plaza and they bill you. If you don't pay in the time allowed there are steep penalties and they re-bill you and new penalties, etc.... So when you get home in 4 months the 4 dollar toll could be well over $100.

I'm interested in how people are paying these tolls when on the road.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post

I'm interested in how people are paying these tolls when on the road.
Here's a good site state by state on tolls and how to pay:

https://tollguru.com/toll-wiki/us-toll
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:58 PM   #22

https://myopenroads.com/freedom-pass

I have the Freedom Pass from Open Roads (yep, the TSD fuel people)

Took trips from Virginia to Maine and Virginia to Florida last year with no toll stressing. Comes out of the same account you have your fuel deducted from. No monthly fees, only charged when you use it. You can move it to your car but it will be,at RV rates so that's not the most economical way to use it.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230331-005252_Chrome.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	389269Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230331-005309_Chrome.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	389268
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:19 AM   #23

Tolls during our cross country trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
https://myopenroads.com/freedom-pass

I have the Freedom Pass from Open Roads (yep, the TSD fuel people)

Took trips from Virginia to Maine and Virginia to Florida last year with no toll stressing. Comes out of the same account you have your fuel deducted from. No monthly fees, only charged when you use it. You can move it to your car but it will be,at RV rates so that's not the most economical way to use it.Attachment 389269Attachment 389268

I think most toll roads charge per axle at least Texas does. So a car is no different than a class a with a single rear axle. Apparently it counts the axles automatically because it also counts what you’re towing.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:12 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I think most toll roads charge per axle at least Texas does. So a car is no different than a class a with a single rear axle. Apparently it counts the axles automatically because it also counts what you’re towing.

That's how it works here in Northern California: you pay $6 if you only have 2 axles, but you pay $6 per axle if you have more than 2 axles - so it costs you 4 times as much when you double the axle count!

We had a friend with a sidecar motorcycle and he was charged for 3 axles when he crossed the Golden Gate Bridge once - he fought that and got it removed because at the time motorcycles did not pay the toll.