Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Too late to plan a west trip this year?

We have begun the planning stages of a long trip (well long for us 4 weeks). Leaving Georgia and heading west and wanting to hit the Pacific coast hwy into Redwood territory. Wanted to drive through and come back across to South Dakota but this May be pushing it.

Looking for opinions is it too late to try and make this trip this year? Plan to leave the 3rd week of October and be home at the end of the 2nd week in November. Open to suggestions as this will be our first long trip and need all of the help that we can get.

Any planning practices would be a big help, route plans etc. as I said earlier this we are early in this process. We had originally planned to,try this in the spring but we have recently realized that fall may be a reality as far as taking the trip. February will be our 25th anniversary and we wanted to make it one that we would really remember.

Thanks in advance for the input!!!!
5string71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #2

November in the Dakotas , is pushing it ! Sorry; weather can go from bad to worse in hours. We were through, Rapid City, during the first week in Oct. and RV parks were closing for the winter. Back through Montana second week of November and got caught in a blizzard.
Even going east to west through the north and out to the coast to return across the south , JMHO, your, travel dates are, a month late to catch good weather.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #3

And probably a month too short to make it work
Old 07-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Already were thinking the same thing before I put this post up. Probably going to adjust and just travel west and up the coast or vice versa some route
Old 07-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
November in the Dakotas , is pushing it ! Sorry; weather can go from bad to worse in hours. We were through, Rapid City, during the first week in Oct. and RV parks were closing for the winter. Back through Montana second week of November and got caught in a blizzard.
Even going east to west through the north and out to the coast to return across the south , JMHO, your, travel dates are, a month late to catch good weather.
Had considered reversing the process and heading to Rushmore and the black hills first then dipping down and heading west.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
And probably a month too short to make it work
Forgot about that Donn, we were on the road 9 weeks , and were doing some long days on the way home , on our 2010, x country tour to see the east coast.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For the best bet stay on or south of I40 in Oct/Nov. You could still hit some bad weather. I90, I80 for sure I 70 Probably. The Southwest is GREAT in the Fall.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We traveled from Colorado to Athens, GA for our daughter's college graduation this past May. On the way home, we thought about how much better the trip would have been during the fall. The aspen trees here in Colorado turn colors between mid-September and mid-October, so you would probably miss that spectacular event. But, we always have an "Indian Summer" after the first few snow storms, which typically occur around Halloween. We live near Hwy 50, which is the southern east-west route thru Colorado, and have no problems traveling during your time frame. HOWEVER, you have to pay attention to the weather and be flexible, which is normally how we travel everywhere. Good luck, travel safe!
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 PM   #9

We are planning to travel up to Yellowstone mid Sept., stay to around Oct. 10 th in Yellowstone area. We will then work our way down Utah to the Grand Canyon and then through New Mexico to South Alabama. Will I be ok?

Tom

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
OurBigRVAdventure.com
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5string71 View Post
Had considered reversing the process and heading to Rushmore and the black hills first then dipping down and heading west.
I agree with doing the northern part first. We are leaving California at the end of November and will run across the country on Interstate 10 to Miami and return towards Christmas.

10 is usually in pretty good shape as far as no snow and campgrounds are open all along the way.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
wow thats a fast trip..take me 4 weeks to go from seattle to san diego..spent 5 months to go from orlando to bakersfield ca but im not in a hurry im
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:25 AM   #12

[QUOTE=Tom222;2158455]We are planning to travel up to Yellowstone mid Sept., stay to around Oct. 10 th in Yellowstone area. We will then work our way down Utah to the Grand Canyon and then through New Mexico to South Alabama. Will I be ok?
Tom

Yellowstone is high mountain country, I'd say you could expect overnight frost on a lot of nights during that time frame, highways through the park have passes that go over 8,000' in altitude and can get snow anytime.
If your prepared for some cold and get good weather you should be ok , but, Mother Nature can turn on you fast in those areas.
KOA campground in West Yellowstone closes Oct. 1st. and many other RV parks, around there do the same. They can't keep the water on and virtually no customers so they close till spring.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #13

Too late to plan a west trip this year?

We hope to stay In one spot (maybe fishing bridge) and travel the park by our jeep we tow. I will call ahead to check if we can stay at any of the National Parks that can handle our 40 ft Class A. Then move closer to Jackson Hole before heading through Utah to the Grand Canyon. The length of our stay will depend on the weather.

Tom

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
OurBigRVAdventure.com
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote