RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
JJ

Top of the World Highway?

Anybody driven the Top of the World Highway between Dawson City, YT and Chicken, AK yet this summer? I've been on it a couple of times in the last 20 years with a truck camper, but this time it will be pulling a 5th wheel. Just wondering if it's a good idea or not.

-jj
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #2

We drove TOW 10 years ago with a MDT and 38' 5th. No problem. Make sure it is open
TOW was still closed a few weeks ago.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #3

A long past experience, 2012. We then had a 40', 15,500# 5er towed with a 2002 4X4 Duramax dually. I had absolutely no problems driving the entire "highway". The main thing to remember is DO NOT drive on the berm/edge of the (US edn) gravel road! It is a slightly different color, very soft, and will not support the weight of a large vehicle. If your RF tire gets onto the berm it will likely pull you off the road.

When you meet someone oncoming, stop and allow them to pass you, when i saw a vehicle coming I looked for a wider spot, stopped while they went by. I think my top speed was 35 MPH, and that was seldom.
I found this on a blog about driving the TOW highway;
"The road from Chicken to Jack Wade Junction is gravel and can be challenging. Give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination. From Jack Wade to the Border the road is newly paved. The Canada/US border is open during the summer from 8 to 8 Alaska time and 9 to 9 Yukon time. From the Border to Dawson City, the road is chip sealed."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:16 AM   #4

We've also driven it with our 40' motorhome. No problem. You'll see many other big rigs. Don't drive it during rain. Wait until it dries out a day or two. Dawson is awesome!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Drove it last summer pulling a 32í TT. The first piece from Chicken to Eagle Jct was the worst. Lots of washboard. Short piece of pavement up to the border. The road is pretty much uphill to the border crossing so if youíre running a diesel you should stop at the pull off just before the crossing to let your turbo cool off. They make u shut your truck off st the border. From there to just shy of Dawson the road was gravel in good condition. When we went through it was very dry and the dust was like powder and it got every where. Lots of cleaning when we got into Dawson. The ride across on the ferry was pretty cool. DW didnít like it much though.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #6

I drove it last summer in my 23" class C (which rides like a dump truck). It was much better than it could have been, there were some slow spots but, all in all, an enjoyable experience. I drove it from Tok to Dawson City.

I passed a couple of incoming DPers towing full sized pickup trucks. The trucks were all desert sand brown, so dirty I couldn't tell what color they really were. One had a smudge in the dirt, only then could I see it was RED.

Boondocking somewhere east of Chicken
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #7

Scariest moment with my 5th

I've been on TOW a few years back with my '03 RAM 2500 and 24-5N Arctic Fox. Before Dawson, we took a side trip up to Inuvik on the Dempster. That was 458 miles each way, with the majority of that on gravel and/or mud. (got a bit dirty)

Now to the scary part. I'm normally a very careful driver and pay more attention to driving that sightseeing. On the TOW, the views were so spectacular I was sidetracked to sightseeing instead of paying attention to my driving. At one point, I looked down and I was traveling 70 MPH on the best gravel road I've ever traveled on. My 4WD wouldn't help much if I needed to stop suddenly. I let my wife do the site seeing for me the rest of the ride as I kept it down to a more reasonable speed.

Back to morning brew . . .

BTW, in the campground in Inuvik, Northwest Territories

CalCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #8

Did it in August 2018 in our 45ft. No issues at all except dust. Bring an extra air filter! The road had some rough patches, just go slow

Here is a picture of the back of our coach taken by a member of our caravan

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0773.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	247638
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #9

When it's that dusty, I drop way back. There's no way I'd subject my vehicle to that punishment. It's not like the guy in front is going to elude me if we're traveling together.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:11 PM   #10

CalCamp, thats an Alaska tan.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
When it's that dusty, I drop way back. There's no way I'd subject my vehicle to that punishment. It's not like the guy in front is going to elude me if we're traveling together.
Same here. Don't follow so close to the one in front of you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:23 AM   #12

I've done TOW several times on motorcycles and in my Jeep. There's a rally in Dawson City over the solstice, and when I lived in Alaska it was a thing for my son and me to do. Untill mid-june it's sketchy for rain. But after a day of no rain the "dust", which is really rock flour, kicks up pretty good. It's real abrasive. So you can do it in mud or grit.

But I scoff at the roads. What I fear are skeeters. They're the Alaska state bird and come 5 - 7 to the pound. Bring your mosquito hat. If you don't have one, get one.

And when you get to Braeburn lake, say hi to Steve for me. He makes a cinnamon roll at his Roadhouse there that seats four. I recommend it!
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote