Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #1

Trailer-friendly?

Hello fellow travelers!

We're plotting out a six week trip out west, and I'm hoping you can offer insight to help us determine our route. Specifically, there are instances where the most direct route is not the one laid out by RVTripWizard, and I'm wondering if it knows something that I don't about trying to take a travel trailer on those roads. We'll be towing a trailer that will be 24' or smaller in July.

1) Yosemite to Reno, NV: Could we take 120 thru Yosemite to 395? I know that road can shut down occasionally in winter, but I'd rather not backtrack up to Sacramento to then head over on I-80.

2) North toward Glacier NP. Which is better, 90/83 or 93/35?

3) How about 2 through Glacier?

TIA for your wisdom!

L.
lolovg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #2

I'm not sure that your set up would be allowed on CA 120. It gets pretty knarly in places, a very fun motorcycle road. I can't remeber for sure but I think there is a short stretch that has a 26% +/- grade, quite a few really sharp corners. Then there is the up and down thing. IIRC, there is a pretty good stretch of single lane(both directions share a lane) on 120, no shoulder.

As far as Glacier US 2 around the south of the park is fine, there is a 20'(IIRC) total vehicle length restriction on Going to the Sun Highway.

So yeah. If the trip wizard suggests a different route, do your due diligence before taking a more direct route.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolovg View Post
Hello fellow travelers!

We're plotting out a six week trip out west, and I'm hoping you can offer insight to help us determine our route. Specifically, there are instances where the most direct route is not the one laid out by RVTripWizard, and I'm wondering if it knows something that I don't about trying to take a travel trailer on those roads. We'll be towing a trailer that will be 24' or smaller in July.

1) Yosemite to Reno, NV: Could we take 120 thru Yosemite to 395? I know that road can shut down occasionally in winter, but I'd rather not backtrack up to Sacramento to then head over on I-80.

120/Tioga Pass in not occasionally closed it is closed from when the snow flies until early summer most years. If the pass is open then it's a good way to go.

I have no opinion on this

TIA for your wisdom!

L.

Hwy 2 goes south of Glacier not thru the park. If you mean the road over the pass then that depends on your tolerance of mountain driving.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:34 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
2 is ok for rv's, 2 lane, twisty in places, but a good road. You won't be allowed to drag your trailer "through" Glacier Park itself in either direction!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolovg View Post

120 is doable with your RV. Much bigger rigs drive it. It's a steep mountain highway if you're confident in your tow vehicle. It shouldn't be an issue.

Either way is o.k.

As stated above, Hwy 2 doesn't go through Glacier. It skirts the southern boundry. It a good highway.
Before you head west get the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers'. It's very helpful for letter you know what's ahead. With your small RV you shouldn't have any issues. Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of truck are you using and what trailer?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #7

"I'm not sure that your set up would be allowed on CA 120. It gets pretty knarly in places, a very fun motorcycle road. I can't remeber for sure but I think there is a short stretch that has a 26% +/- grade, quite a few really sharp corners. Then there is the up and down thing. IIRC, there is a pretty good stretch of single lane(both directions share a lane) on 120, no shoulder."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you thing about the road, aka Tioga Road, that runs thru Yosemite and up thru Tioga Pass?? I've been over it a number of times with various RVs and never saw a 26% grade, indeed I've never seen a 26% grade anywhere in many tens of thousands of miles of driving out west. I doubt that such a thing even exists on any numbered highway. Last time we went thru Tioga Pass it was pulling a 34 ft fifth wheel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_120.

It does have some switchbacks and may have some areas with no guard rail but lots of people get their RVs over it.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
"I'm not sure that your set up would be allowed on CA 120. It gets pretty knarly in places, a very fun motorcycle road. I can't remeber for sure but I think there is a short stretch that has a 26% +/- grade, quite a few really sharp corners. Then there is the up and down thing. IIRC, there is a pretty good stretch of single lane(both directions share a lane) on 120, no shoulder."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you thing about the road, aka Tioga Road, that runs thru Yosemite and up thru Tioga Pass?? I've been over it a number of times with various RVs and never saw a 26% grade, indeed I've never seen a 26% grade anywhere in many tens of thousands of miles of driving out west. I doubt that such a thing even exists on any numbered highway. Last time we went thru Tioga Pass it was pulling a 34 ft fifth wheel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_120.

It does have some switchbacks and may have some areas with no guard rail but lots of people get their RVs over it.
I apparently got it mixed up with another road that I was on.

I guess I'll have to go out there again and play on all of those marvey roads again on my motorcycle. Darn it anyway...

Playing on Cal roads on a bike is a good way to kill a summer, no doubt.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:03 AM   #9

108 or 4 are what he was probably thinking of. Both could be done with an rv but you need to be careful. 120 is easy as long as your comfortable with going up and down hills.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Before you head west get the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers'. It's very helpful for letter you know what's ahead. With your small RV you shouldn't have any issues. Have a great trip!
Excellent! Thanks!
lolovg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer