Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2018, 05:04 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Travel advice from Massachusetts to MT Rushmore.

We are looking to take a trip to SD to Mt Rushmore, we would be starting in MA. How long should we plan for this trip and what time of year is best in your opinion. We also would love some routes that anyone has use to avoid big city driving. And the campgrounds that you have stayed in.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle9 View Post
We are looking to take a trip to SD to Mt Rushmore,

we would be starting in MA.

How long should we plan for this trip and what time of year is best in your opinion.

We also would love some routes that anyone has use to avoid big city driving.

And the campgrounds that you have stayed in.
OK - Custer /Black Hill is where you should look, IMHO.

Best time of Year is early Fall - September.

The only way to avoid Cities is to Avoid Cities - Means you need to be prepared to drive some extra miles - BUT - it is well worth the effort.

"A" to "B" drives we will usually do a Wal*Mart for a Couple Days then hit a CG to dump and refill - Until you get West of the Mississippi you are subject to Traffic an just a Pain. RT 36 is my favorite route West.

My personal recommendation would be to get into Pennsylvania - then avoid the toll road (Traffic) and get to Denver and the Rockies then Head North - https://binged.it/2on9XuA - This works for me - as no way I'll get near Chicago and why not see a little of Colorado for a month or two before you visit Custer.

If this is too far off Base then you need to be a little more specific as to what YOU really want - not what I would Do. .

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #3

I have traveled coast to coast many times. Used to live in MA. Don't know how much time you have but here are a few recommendations I have traveled. MA to north shore of finger lakes to Niagara Falls into Canada then back to US in Sarnia then upper Peninsula of Michigan then to the Dakotas. Either Fargo to Mandan to Medora to Roosevelt NP to Rapid City or Sioux Falls to Badlands to Rapid city.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #4

To bypass Chicago, take I-90 than merge on to I -80 to I-355 North, to I-88 West, to I-39 North which will merge with I-90 West. I live on Cape Cod and travel this route often, it seems confusing, but all these interstates run into each other. Look at a Illinois map and it shows these routes avoiding Chicago.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburian View Post
To bypass Chicago, take I-90 than merge on to I -80 to I-355 North, to I-88 West, to I-39 North which will merge with I-90 West. I live on Cape Cod and travel this route often, it seems confusing, but all these interstates run into each other. Look at a Illinois map and it shows these routes avoiding Chicago.

Thank you Rburian, this seems like the mostly route for us after looking at the map as suggested.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
OK - Custer /Black Hill is where you should look, IMHO.

Best time of Year is early Fall - September.

The only way to avoid Cities is to Avoid Cities - Means you need to be prepared to drive some extra miles - BUT - it is well worth the effort.

"A" to "B" drives we will usually do a Wal*Mart for a Couple Days then hit a CG to dump and refill - Until you get West of the Mississippi you are subject to Traffic an just a Pain. RT 36 is my favorite route West.

My personal recommendation would be to get into Pennsylvania - then avoid the toll road (Traffic) and get to Denver and the Rockies then Head North - https://binged.it/2on9XuA - This works for me - as no way I'll get near Chicago and why not see a little of Colorado for a month or two before you visit Custer.

If this is too far off Base then you need to be a little more specific as to what YOU really want - not what I would Do. .

JMHO,

I would love to do that route, that would get me to see so much of the country. But alas we are still working, so still tied to vacation time table. Soon, but we will have to wait for a few years yet.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Avoid Chicago at all costs. IMO it has worse traffic than NYC or Washington. You can do it in the middle of the night but that's a whole other thing.

We've made this trip many times and we prefer I-90 to I-70. It's a better road and more scenic.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:17 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG39 View Post
I have traveled coast to coast many times. Used to live in MA. Don't know how much time you have but here are a few recommendations I have traveled. MA to north shore of finger lakes to Niagara Falls into Canada then back to US in Sarnia then upper Peninsula of Michigan then to the Dakotas. Either Fargo to Mandan to Medora to Roosevelt NP to Rapid City or Sioux Falls to Badlands to Rapid city.

Took this route when we went to Alaska in 2014, take US route 2 west, great trip, lots to see. DO NOT miss the Medora musical https://medora.com/Do/Entertainment/medora-musical/ it is worth it, we also did the Cowboy Pitchfork Fondue https://medora.com/Eat/Family/pitchfork-steak-fondue/ it is worth the trip!!!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #9

X2. You do need to go through Toronto but otherwise a very nice route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG39 View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle9 View Post
We are looking to take a trip to SD to Mt Rushmore, we would be starting in MA. How long should we plan for this trip and what time of year is best in your opinion. We also would love some routes that anyone has use to avoid big city driving. And the campgrounds that you have stayed in.
We have done this route twice now, the first time we pushed it a little to get to Rushmore. The first day we drove to Niagra spent a couple days there and then made the mad dash to Rushmore. We stopped at the following cities and used these campgrounds. It was a great trip allow as much time as you can once you get out there.

The mileage was about 1950 from the Boston area to Rushmore.

Niagara Falls, NY
Elkhart, IN RV Campgrounds in Elkhart, IN | Elkhart Campground
Coralville, IA Meadow Lake Campground
Salem, SD https://koa.com/campgrounds/mitchell/
Rushmore, SD https://koa.com/campgrounds/mount-rushmore/
Stevec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #11

There are 2 good options for bypassing Chicago. Both involve toll roads. As far as which is the best option depends on the time of day (Check traffic on Google Maps). FYI, the Illinois Toll Authority accepts EZPass.
Option 1: I-80 to I-294 to I-290 to I-90
Option 2: I-80 to I-355 to I-290 to I-90 (Rburian’s route)
Option 2 is normally about 20 minutes longer, but traffic will probably be a little lighter. On I-290 opt for the local lanes and look for signs for Rockford.
Some will say to take I-80 to I-39 and REALLY bypass the Chicago area. I wouldn’t do it. It will add an hour to your trip and you’ll be enjoying the company of trucks on a 2 lane section of I-80 for an extended time.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, alaska, alaska trip, travel