Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #1

travel advice needed

We will take posession of our first RV next week. Although we camped years ago and have borrowed smaller rvs, we now have a Class A and I'm a little concerned about the first trip. We are going from Wisconsin to the DC area and would like to get off the Interstate in Ohio - West Virginia area. Can someone recommend a pleasant route and some nice places to stay for a day or two.
Also, the RV park we selected near Washington DC has transportation into the city, but we would also like to visit Mt Vernon and Colonial Williamsburg. What would be our best options for this, and no we are not towing a car. Thank you for any help you can give,
Jerry & Lorene Katt
JerryKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The I90/80 stretch from south of Milwaukee, around Chicago and then past Cleveland is the only iffy part of that trip.

For me... I'd rather add 200 miles to the trip and head south and poke around on the back roads of Illinois and Indiana and Ohio... meandering over to I-77 to Marietta. From there you can pick up old US50.

Right there along the Ohio there are a TON of places to stay your first night.
Second night you should be in DC proper.

And just because you own an A doesn't mean you can't rent a car for a day now and then or even stay in a motel.

Have a great time.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #3

How exciting! Congrats! We took possession of our first Class A just a couple of weeks ago. We have also camped in tents, class C's and TT's but the first trip out with the Class A made me a little concerned too. We did great though. And I am sure you will too!

I have no idea of places to visit as we are close to being rookies, but I'm interested in your post as we will be making a visit to Colonial Williamsburg next summer and would like the info also.
Nuke_RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! Apprehension is normal just take your time and you'll do fine.

We just visited the DC area and Colonial Williamsburg and loved both of them. It sounds like maybe you're staying at Cherry Hill in DC? Without a toad the metro will work well for you. We took a segway tour of the city and it was a real highlight.

We also kicked around the backroads of Ohio and stayed at a little place way out in the boonies in Homerville that we really liked for some R&R. Cleaveland was about 45 minutes away.

Driving your rig into parks near big cities can still be a white knuckle experience for me. Sometimes it's good to call the resort ahead of time to ask for the best route to take. My gps took me on quite a tour of the city and I'm 40 feet long and tow a Ford Explorer! Also try to time you arrival so you don't hit the worst of the traffic.

Have a ball!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #5

We just stayed at Cherry Hill Park in College Park, MD last week. I would highly recommend it when going to DC. There is a bus that runs every few minutes from the campground to the closest Metro station. You can then take the Metro to most major attractions or you can take the Metro to Union Station where most of the bus tours originate. We took the Tourmobile tour buses, which offer guided tours to most major sites and allow you to get off the bus you are on and pick up a different bus when you are ready. I think the cost was around $37 per person for two days.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #6

Oh, I forgot to mention that Cherry Hill has large sites that are easy to back in to and I believe that there is public transportation in DC that will take you to Mt. Vernon.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't know how much time you have, but if it is unlimited, don't rule out Millersburg, OH (Heart of Amish Country), or Gettysburg, PA.

I have found some good roads in my travel that were US Highways, and State Highways. Ohio was in a Class A, and Pennsylvania was pulling a 40' 5th wheel with an F350 Crew Cab, Long Bed. I just had to slow down a few times around the curves. I always obey the yellow speed limit signs, and then even a little slower. With your past experience renting I don't think you are going to have any problem on the roadways.

Happy Trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKatt View Post
We will take posession of our first RV next week. Although we camped years ago and have borrowed smaller rvs, we now have a Class A and I'm a little concerned about the first trip. We are going from Wisconsin to the DC area and would like to get off the Interstate in Ohio - West Virginia area. Can someone recommend a pleasant route and some nice places to stay for a day or two.
Also, the RV park we selected near Washington DC has transportation into the city, but we would also like to visit Mt Vernon and Colonial Williamsburg. What would be our best options for this, and no we are not towing a car. Thank you for any help you can give,
Jerry & Lorene Katt
most walmarts are good for an overnight stop. some allow overnight parking, some do not. check this resource. it is updated by users of the site.

Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #9

if you drive the RV from Alexandria out to Mt. Vernon on GW Memorial Parkway, WATCH THE BRIDGES. The right lanes only have about 10-11 feet of clearance. the middle lanes (left lanes) are okay. The bridges are arch type stone and will destroy an RV.

I would also advise staying on the interstates or major roads in WV unless you're extremely comfortable driving your new rig. Very crooked and hilly for the most part on the two lane roads.

DC is not a place for an experienced RV driver that isn't used to very bad traffic. Stay in MD at Cherry Hill and take public transportation. Parking in DC for a car is horrific, for a M/H; next to impossible.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #10

colonial williamsburg

Thanks for the help. We plan to use Grayline Tours for DC. Can you recommend a route from Cherry Hill Campgrond down to Williamsburg area and a campground in the area.
JerryKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKatt View Post
Thanks for the help. We plan to use Grayline Tours for DC. Can you recommend a route from Cherry Hill Campgrond down to Williamsburg area and a campground in the area.
Can't help you with the best route but a couple of months ago we stayed at American Heritage RV Park in Colonial Williamsburg and really enjoyed it. Everything around seemed pricey and this was no exception but there is so much to see and learn in the area.

Have a safe journey.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #12

Colorado HWY 50 & 24

Anyone traveled hwy 50 from Montrose to Salida and hwy 24 to Leadville on into Denver. Elevations look quite high, just wondering if grades are safe for a gas 36' motor home pulling a 3500 lb jeep.