Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Travel from Kingman AZ to Oatman AZ?

Hi,
Interested in hearing what the Oatman Road is like between Kingman and Oatman. Looks like a real fun drive with all the hair pin turns. We'll be driving our 38ft motor home and towing a Jeep.
Any input the roads condition?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #2

Travelled a short section of the Oatman end of the road to Kingman portion of Old Route 66. 4 years ago.
Narrow,steep and lots of tight corners , the section I was on had no place to turn a P/U around.
Oatman would be a hard place to try and park your unit too.
JMHO. Take I-40 and drive into Golden Shores or Bullhead City and drive the Jeep back in to Oatman or through to Kingman , interesting to see the changes in the desert as the altitude increases, something you wont have time to do if your driving your coach.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't try it with your MH. You will be able to see your own license plate on some curves.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Did that road several years ago in a 32 ft Bounder with no toad. We were driving out of Kingman and saw a sign that said see Oatman ghost town with an arrow. Didn't know any better and turned. The tail was dragging in the dips and the hairpin turns were horrible. No place to turn around. By the time we got to Oatman I was an exhausted wreck. Oatman is a tourist trap but if you want to see it come in from the Fort Mohave side. Parking for big rigs is limited so you still might want to consider just driving the toad.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Oatman I believe is worth a visit but not in a motorhome from the Kingman side. You can take your RV up on the west side without any problem. Tour buses do it all the time. Hard to believe the Kingman side of that road was a major east west route.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great information thank you all for posting, I'll take the interstate and approach from the west river. Looking forward to seeing Oatman.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
If taking the RV up I do suggest you park as soon as you see "the town" - once you get into Oatman parking becomes a problem for a motorhome. Oatman is only a couple of city blocks long so not much of a walk.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
do it all the time .36' with 14' quad tr. just take your time and have fun .
teera travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #10

Went from Kingman to Oatman Monday of this week-36' RV pulling toad-many switchbacks & tight turns-probably not for the faint of heart--Kingman to Oatman you are on the drop off side. Ha. Easy to park in Oatman--large gravel lot at west end of town- go in one way out the other-I actually went back out the same way- would recommend Oatman to everyone. RV travel there not for everyone. Ha
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
ChallengerRN - Out of curiosity did you meet or see any other RV's on the Kingman side of that road? I've driven it several times in a car but never in the RV and won't when it is so easy to go through Golden Valley or I-40.
Bob
Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #12

We saw a couple 25' class C ones. None pulling toads. Our original plan was to go to Oatman then out the West side. After going in we decided to just go back the same way and save the 60 miles. After Oatman we were going on East.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
ChallengerRN, We have property southeast of Kingman and have visited Oatman several times from the west side. By memory it seems we almost never see any vehicles on the way to/from Oatman on the Kingman side. It doesn't mean they don't do it just, that my memory isn't what it used to be.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #14

What are u saying. I don't understand?

Tags
travel