RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Travel from NJ to FL during pandemic

I just completed a trip from NJ to Big Pine Key, FL. I have a house in NJ where my wife was recovering from spine surgery this winter but had to take care of some items at our primary home in the Keys.

Some observations for those who may need to travel:
1. We stocked the Winn View with all the food we needed for the trip and for 2 weeks of quarantine in FL. So no need to get out of the View other than for fuel.
2. During fuel stops, put on mask and gloves and tried to use a pump away from others. As the stations were empty, this was easy. Fuel prices are low. We wiped down hands and surfaces after returning to cab with sanitary wipes.
3. Slept the one night at the SC Welcome center on I-95 so again no human interaction.
4. Roads were not as empty as I expected. A lot of truck traffic but no slow downs.
5. Roadblock at FL/GA border. A joke where they waved me through as I have FL plates. No police presence, just some ladies in day glo vests.
6. Roadblock to get into the Keys. More official with police presence. One lane for commercial vehicles. Other lane for everyone else. Showed my drivers licence with Big Pine Key address and waved through.
7. Keys are EMPTY with no tourists which is kinda nice. Restaurants will open Monday with outdoor seating!

If you need to travel, respect the local laws and take the utmost precautions to protect yourself and others. It is possible to travel, especially in a self-contained motorhome, if your destination is a location where you can limit your contact. It's getting better, but it's not over.

RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #2

Great that your trip went without issues.
However, you probably would not have gotten further than the Florida border without Florida plates. Also, having a residence address on your driverís license got you on to the keys as mentioned.

Without those two issues in your favour, no one else can make such a trip.....yet.

kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:20 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
However, you probably would not have gotten further than the Florida border without Florida plates.
Per numerous government announcements, NO ONE has been turned away at the FL border. Anyone with NY or NJ plates is given some information on voluntarily quarantining for 14 days.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Great that your trip went without issues.
However, you probably would not have gotten further than the Florida border without Florida plates. Also, having a residence address on your driverís license got you on to the keys as mentioned.

Without those two issues in your favour, no one else can make such a trip.....yet.
Spread that fake news!
Musta read it on the Internet.

But he did need to be a Keys resident to get into the Keys.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel