Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #29

I wish we could find a place to park and sleep, that would be much quicker and easier. Appears the Cracker Barrels have small parking areas, I checked with the Google map.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
There is a toll on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel of about $23 if you are towing, which varies depending on how many axles you have and is higher if you don't use EZ-Pass.
Driving this tunnel in a car is "interesting!" In a MH I would rather drive DC traffic during rush hour!!! Just saying!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Driving this tunnel in a car is "interesting!" In a MH I would rather drive DC traffic during rush hour!!! Just saying!
I did it in a 40 foot Beaver, towing, and thought it was totally unremarkable. I'm no daredevil. I wonder why we both have such different viewpoints.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I did it in a 40 foot Beaver, towing, and thought it was totally unremarkable. I'm no daredevil. I wonder why we both have such different viewpoints.
Probably because I'm a wimp! I hate seeing those lanes close in on me. And as a 34 year LEO I've seen some crazy drivers and accidents. I like lots of space.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #33

As a former resident of that area, tunnel traffic (pick a tunnel in the area as there are a bunch of them) is always a mess because visitors are scared to drive in the tunnels. That is why there are signs telling people to keep their speed up. An enormous amount of traffic is also to blame.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
As I recall, I did it mid day, which is probably a good idea.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
As I recall, I did it mid day, which is probably a good idea.
I've driven that tunnel 100 times when I was stationed in Norfolk. Not bad in a car but the extra width and big trucks/busses makes it interesting.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Lots of good advice here. Almost overwhelming. Because of your particular location, I'd say go with the 81-south crowd for the southbound leg, and then, just to make it more interesting, take the CBBT/US-13 route north. The CBBT is really a marvel that everyone should do at least once, a million cars and trucks go over it every month and accidents are rare. Yeah, the bridge parts are not a lot of fun in high winds (I did it once in a snow blizzard that was 17.1 miles of white knuckles, before the 2nd two lanes of traffic were added, and ALL the traffic was on a two-lane road) and the tunnels are only a mile long each. No big deal.

US-13 north through the Delmarva is quaint, flat, extremely low pressure, and perfectly sane. Just follow US-113 around Salisbury, back up to Dover. Once you hit I-95 up around New Castle, DE, take it south to I-695 and get back to I-81 going north.

I wouldn't mess with I-95 north towards Philly or the NE extension of the PA turnpike, unless it's a really nice day, it's not rush hours, and you don't feel like seeing Towson again.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #37

Possibly using TA for quick overnights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
Lots of good advice here. Almost overwhelming. Because of your particular location, I'd say go with the 81-south crowd for the southbound leg, and then, just to make it more interesting, take the CBBT/US-13 route north. The CBBT is really a marvel that everyone should do at least once, a million cars and trucks go over it every month and accidents are rare. Yeah, the bridge parts are not a lot of fun in high winds (I did it once in a snow blizzard that was 17.1 miles of white knuckles, before the 2nd two lanes of traffic were added, and ALL the traffic was on a two-lane road) and the tunnels are only a mile long each. No big deal.

US-13 north through the Delmarva is quaint, flat, extremely low pressure, and perfectly sane. Just follow US-113 around Salisbury, back up to Dover. Once you hit I-95 up around New Castle, DE, take it south to I-695 and get back to I-81 going north.

I wouldn't mess with I-95 north towards Philly or the NE extension of the PA turnpike, unless it's a really nice day, it's not rush hours, and you don't feel like seeing Towson again.
This is pretty much the plan so far, thanks for chiming in The tunnel won't bother me, I have a CDL so have squeezed our large utility trucks over, under and around some pretty tight places.

One other thing I came across is a dandy free app for overnight truck stops, thinking that will fill the bill nicely for us when enroute. There are a couple of the TA branded close to where we will be late Sunday.

Tags
travel