RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Lmao
it i eriou ly amu ing....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #16

Hey Sue, is that a new feature or have you had it for awhile? And just how compleat is it, can you send a picture of the screen?

Good news in the “S” key... People were talking.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #17

I don't know how new it is. I'll produce one tonight and post it tomorrow.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #18

Thanks Sue, that will be great!
Old 09-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #19

I know many of us are pretty particular about our GPS choice. Many like stand alone like Garmin while otherís like an App style.

What do you guys think of ď RV Life, mobile appĒ? My GPS app of choice is CoPilot but Iím open to suggestions.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi CIDE, Youíre right about 455 miles per day on county road. With all the weather technology available to us itís inconceivable to me weather cannot be built into a system. I designed and built databases for many years ands thereís little you canít do interactively.

Thatís why Iím very surprised no one has done it? Iím retired at this point but I know of what I speak of when I say it can be done without great difficulty itís because I know it can.

What we want to know is; hereís my trip set up in my GPS for a 2000 mile trip. Iím going to drive 8 hours that equals basically 350 miles. My first stop is Walmart in Bennett Creek, WV.

So, my total trip is 6 days. Is there any bad weather in the forecast on my first day? And what about the remaining 5 days? I can get this info if I look at my weather app for all the cities Iím going through. So why is it not built into a GPS app?

Iím know it can be!!! My question is why isnít it?
Being a tool kinda guy, I can weld aluminum cans together but computers are my nemesis. I'm happy when I can get the dang GPS to simply turn on.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:24 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Me thinks the reason it hasn't been done, is that there's really not a call for it...
Maybe because weather forecasting is not an exact science and many, MANY times that perfect day goes to the toilet by afternoon

Sounds like a business opportunity for retired geeks like you guys !

go for it...
Old 09-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #22

In setting up the new computer I forgot to ask for the departure email, I did put it in for tonight.

I asked the RV Life developer about a weather layer, it is on the list to look into.

We keep up radar on one of our phones to keep track of the current weather, works well when we have service.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 09-22-2020, 08:15 AM   #23

Hi Sue, Thanks for the update and going forward with our conversation. Much appreciated! And youíre doing very well on your Sís.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #24

WyoFree:

If you're amenable to a standalone GPS, the new Garmin RV890 says this:

"LIVE TRAFFIC AND WEATHER
When paired with the Garmin Drive app, live2 traffic helps you avoid delays and find detours. Also, view detailed weather forecasts, current conditions, animated radar and more."

To only be routed on non-interstate roads, this would likely work:

"Avoiding Road Features
1 Select Settings > Navigation > Avoidances.
2 Select the road features to avoid on your routes, and select
OK."

You can also set "Custom Avoidances" but I'm not sure there's a
setting for "cities of a certain population".

Let us know what you decide on.
Good luck!
O LLOYD
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #25

Hi O LLOYD, And thanks for the post. I have an old Garmin I bought about 8 years ago that I still use in my car on occasion.

My preference is an app, they are easy to update and have the Sophistication of the stand alone GPS. Some can be played through Bluetooth right into you dash screen making it even better. Or as my granddaughter would say ďMore GooderĒ!

Trip Wizard has the right idea I think. Plan a trip and see all thatís in front of you. Makes it easy to decide where you stop, eat, fuel up etc and that ainít bad. And even better with weather. Hey they have traffic... So weather is a must for a travel planner.

As I said earlier, I joined Trip Wizard early on and found it non intuitive. As a database developer myself, it was always critical mass to make things as obvious as possible for the user. Iím not trying to say ďHereís how they do it in New York City. Iím just saying it must be intuitive, built for the RVíer, not for the engineer who wrote the program who canít even spell RVíer.

Iíve not checked out Trip Wizard recently, wanting to see Sueís weather thingy (yes thingy is a very technical term). Based on what that looks like I may take another look. Hey a good easy to use trip planner is a good thing as long as it doesnít require an MBA.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:15 AM   #26

Here is your weather "thingy", love our technical terms. A little busy.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 09-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #27

Hi Sue, Thanks for the weather information via RV LIFE. Unless I missed something the weather information shown was for the end of the trip only in Amarillo, TX?

What Iím looking for is weather along the way. So if Iím leaving Brownsville on my way to Amarillo and thereís a tornado in Converse City. Iíll be told ďHey stay the heck out of Converse City... Thereís a tornado thingy!
Old 09-23-2020, 02:29 PM   #28

For weather - My Radar
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, travel