RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #29

Hi Journey cat, With My Radar can you actually put in directions and overview the weather? I think Iíve seen it before but didnít know you could enter information by City.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 03:13 PM   #30

That wasn't your trip, just something I put together to get the email. If you look at the beginning, it is for the first stop, near the top.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #31

That was your trip, too much going on with the new computer and then had a crises, ran out of wine.

It was the dates I put in that triggered Amarillo.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 09-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #32

Hi Sue, Here's what I got.

Driving & info for your trip to:
Big Texan RV Ranch (formerly Amarillo Ranch RV Park)
Stop #1 on your trip: Departure Email Test Hey Susan,
Looks like you are heading to Big Texan RV Ranch (formerly Amarillo Ranch RV Park) in Amarillo, TX tomorrow.
The weather for tomorrow's arrival will be clear throughout the day. There will be a high of 89 degrees.
If you want to print the turn by turn direc)ons (or save them as a PDF) you can do so from your trip.
Here are some )ps from other RVers who have stayed at: Big Texan RV Ranch (formerly Amarillo Ranch RV Park)
Old 09-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The main problem with trying to overlay weather is size. All my flight gps apps have multiple options for weather display, nexrad weather radar, surface winds, visibility and forecasts. All this is available, but on a macro basis, with the map zoomed out to greater than 50 miles, usually 100-200 miles, so you can modify your plan on the fly so to speak. Most driving gps apps seldom are zoomed to more than about 5 miles. That doesnít give much time to react to weather changes. I suppose you could loop an auto zoom out to 200 miles every hour or so, but what if that zoom happens right when you need to make a critical turn, not sure how you could put that in the algarythm.
dgapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #34

Hi dgapilot, Good points all. Itís difficult to transpose something made for flight into road conditions from a GPS standpoint.

There has to be a better way of seeing what weather is in front of you for tomorrowís Drive. Iím surprised there arenít more threads on this issue. Itís about safety and thatís a big deal. Thanks for responding.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #35

Since most(all) weather forecasts are a wild guess like I said before, we keep the radar up on a phone when the weather is questionable. Just follows us along the road.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 09-24-2020, 06:42 AM   #36

Hi Sue, I think to simplify things I would be happy, delighted really, knowing this.
• I’m driving 400 miles tomorrow. How’s the weather along my route?
• The next morning I want to re-check the weather for my 400 mile trip to confirm nothing has changed since last evening.
• A warning would be terrific like “High winds and torrential rain around Salina, KN.”
• A recommended change of travel route around the bad weather would be terrific.

Weather forecasting has come a long way in the last 10 or so years. And I can’t imagine someone reading the above and not thinking “Hey, that would be great”!
Old 09-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #37

Garmin GPS units have weather along the route. Here's a video with a guy demonstrating it:

I use the Garmin 785 dezl which has this feature. Yes, it's the truck version but it allows me to set the profile for a bus with the parameters of my coach.

Not only can it display weather on the route, you can also modify the route to go through whatever small towns you wish by taping on the screen and selecting the desired route.

I also can send locations to the Garmin directly from my phone from Google Maps - makes selecting destinations really easy, especially if I have the place saved as a contact on my phone.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #38

Thank you Richard, that was an excellent video. As I said earlier, Iíd much rather have an App and play it through my existing screen on my dash. But failing that, the Garmin would become my go to product. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #39

Great demo Richard!
Do you have to use the Garmin Drive App in conjunction with the GPS to get the weather data? I see that's what's needed for the new RV890. The manual says:
"Viewing the Weather Forecast
Before you can use this feature, your device must be receiving
weather data. You can connect your device to the Garmin Drive
app to receive weather data."

If you DO need the app (and for anyone who doesn't use a standalone GPS) what is your "data usage" like? Do you have unlimited data or does it not use a lot to run the apps?

Thanks!
O LLOYD
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #40

On mine it needs something called the Garmin Smartlink (or something like that) to be running on the smartphone. I've never seen it pull in enough data to create a problem.

Thinking about this, it wouldn't really matter if it's the Garmin app being linked to the GPS pulling the data or a stand alone app on a tablet. The data is not going to be that much different.

All that said, I usually run without linking the Garmin and my smartphone. The Garmin has built-in traffic, and unless I'm expecting to encounter bad weather or have some other reason to link them it's not necessary. Nice to have the option when necessary though.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #41

Hi O Lloyd and thanks for that. Iíve never had a data problem with a GPS and Iíve tried most of them. And I donít have an unlimited AT&T plan.

Hi richard5933, Thanks for that information. I didnít know about the Garmin Smartlink. So itís an additional item not needed for the 785 shown in Richardís video. That unit is $300 bucks which ainít bad with all that information it provides.

Good stuff guys, thanks!
Old 09-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
....Hi richard5933, Thanks for that information. I didnít know about the Garmin Smartlink. So itís an additional item not needed for the 785 shown in Richardís video. That unit is $300 bucks which ainít bad with all that information it provides.

Good stuff guys, thanks!
The Smartlink is a Garmin app you install on your phone. It is what gives the Garmin a data connection through your phone. It's necessary to do the weather stuff shown in the video. Doesn't use that much data though. It's not like you're streaming a movie - just getting some weather data.

Tags
gps, travel