RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

Travel GPS and Weather App, are there any?

Iíd love an app that would only route you through rural America (no interstates), maybe set up by population. No cities over 50,000 population for example. And then the weather forecasted in the same app for your travel days to your final destination.

For example, If Iím going from Tampa, FL to Billings, MT over a five day period of time. It would be great if the day before leaving on my journey I can have my GPS route me through small town America and show me the weather before I start.

You guys know of anything like this?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #2

Like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-09-20 10_43_08-RV Trip Wizard.png
Views:	11
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	301661  

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #3

Hi Sue, I tried Trip Wizard when it first came out and found it very unintuitive and difficult to use. Iíve not looked at it lately however.

Are you saying I can set it up in such a way where I can set the parameters and then put in a Tampa address and a Billings address and it will route me through small towns and give me weather conditions?

When I had Trip Wizard they were adamant to say ďWe are not a GPSĒ. Are they now and they also have weather?
Old 09-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #4

I am missing the letter "s" on my keyboard. You will need to fill it in a we go.

Here i ome info:

You get 3 products with your subscription.

1) RV Trip Wizard, a web-based Trip Planning product accessed from your web browser at www.rvtripwizard.com

2) RV Life, a mobile app that will allow you to do real time RV Friendly turn-by-turn offline navigation. This can be downloaded and installed on your mobile device from your app store.

3) Maintain My RV, a web-based application that allows you to record and get maintenance reminders for your RV. Logon at www.maintainmyrv.com

All products come with a single subscription and all use the same logon credentials.
In addition we have campgroundreviews.com, a crowd sourced review of over 20,000 campgrounds. There is no cost for this product. You can use your RV Trip Wizard credentials to login here as well.

Rv Life i our GP app.

Look at ome video on our channel, a little dated but concept i till there.

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8uA8TRlpHjlqyZC0WRZdg

Creating a Simple Trip

till a learning curve.

New computer coming today, hopefully.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 09-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #5

It hardly seems right that your first name is Sue and your S goes out. Iíve not watched the video yet but will do so later today when Iím on the laptop. But what about the weather Sue without an S?
Old 09-20-2020, 04:46 PM   #6

Have weather, predeparture email . I wa like you and didn't ign up for year after trying it. Now I work for them. It i a work in progre ba ed on u er feed back . I like the con olidation of all the variou campgrund .

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 09-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #7

Lmao
Old 09-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #8

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Sue46;5448251]I am missing the letter "s" on my keyboard. You will need to fill it in a we go.

Here i ome info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Have weather, predeparture email . I wa like you and didn't ign up for year after trying it. Now I work for them. It i a work in progre ba ed on u er feed back . I like the con olidation of all the variou campgrund .

I don't care who you are, that there. fu..y!

BTW, I'm with WyoFree on routing and weather.
larrymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:27 PM   #9

You are not uppo e to laugh at a per on with a li p!!!! Li p cure ha arrived!!!! Need charging.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 09-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #10

Does make fun reading, thou.......lol
Old 09-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #11

Hello again Sue,

I still do not understand why, I say way, no one has tied weather to a GPS ap? Planes fly all the time and are rerouted due to bad weather. Why because they file a flight plan, a GPS in other words. They don't leave Tampa going to Denver and don't know there's bad weather over Junction City Kansas? They know before they get there and fly around it.

But not we traveling folks, oh know not us! By golly our GPS will take us right into Junction City. With weather so bad we end up driving into Fort Riley and then go to Leavenworth Prison because we crashed through a military gate full of MP's and took out a tank.

But no problem because Trip Wizzard tells us there's a KOA just a mile ahead and right next door to a restaurant and Disco center!

You can read the above and know I'm not someone who would be sarcastic right? I just don't understand why someone has't done something as obvious as a Weather/GPS Ap. All they'd do is corner the market! I don't mean to jump on Trip Wizzard because no one else has done it either. it just seems to me this can and should have been done years ago. I'm not all that smart, just ask my wife. But I figured that out on my own... WoW!

Just my thoughts
Old 09-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #12

I think you're missing how dynamic weather conditions are and how quickly they change. The airlines have a bottomless budget and each flite is only a few hours (at most) from each weather system. Our preferred mode of transportation is much slower (duh) - weather forecasts for us will need to be several days out. I don't see how that could be accurate enough for me to plan around and probably couldn't afford it even if available.

I use My Radar to watch nationwide weather and can make adjustments on the fly. This works for me because I can't plan lunch anyway.

fwiw: Tampa to Biilings would require 455 miles a day, tough to do on county roads.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #13

Hi CIDE, Youíre right about 455 miles per day on county road. With all the weather technology available to us itís inconceivable to me weather cannot be built into a system. I designed and built databases for many years ands thereís little you canít do interactively.

Thatís why Iím very surprised no one has done it? Iím retired at this point but I know of what I speak of when I say it can be done without great difficulty itís because I know it can.

What we want to know is; hereís my trip set up in my GPS for a 2000 mile trip. Iím going to drive 8 hours that equals basically 350 miles. My first stop is Walmart in Bennett Creek, WV.

So, my total trip is 6 days. Is there any bad weather in the forecast on my first day? And what about the remaining 5 days? I can get this info if I look at my weather app for all the cities Iím going through. So why is it not built into a GPS app?

Iím know it can be!!! My question is why isnít it?
Old 09-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #14

I no longer lisp, new computer is great!

RV Trip Wizard will send you an email each day at around 5 AM with the weather forecast and I am not sure what else.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y

Tags
gps, travel