Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
Travel Help????

I could use some help here........ I never did this before.

We just purchased our first motor home ....and I need to get it home.......

Its a 2006 Tiffin 35DH D/P........

We need to get from Tampa Florida........to Long Island New York...

I plan to fly down to Tampa.............and I allowed 8 days to get it home.

Can anyone help me with a travel itinerary........What route to take ???.....How many miles a day I should travel ???? Where I should stay and in what state ?????

Its overwhelming to me.....................

Thanks............
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #2

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Do a really good PDI...(Pre Delivery Inspection) plan on hours to do it right!
I really can't help with a route other than I 95 up the East Coast...with stops in Charleston at their County park, BUT
I would spend at least 2-3 days in the nearest RV park from your purchase point to try everything out and ensure that you are familiar with the coach, all of its amenities, hook ups, un-hooking, dumping, and so on. If something does not work properly you can have the seller correct...should be part of your purchase agreement. GOOD LUCK.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get a Woodalls Campground directory and use it to find campgrounds on your route home. Plan to travel 300 miles per day. That will allow you to motor safely-read slower, 60MPH-and make and break camp each day. It's important that you learn not to be rushed when learning to handle your new rig and stopping early enough each day to have plenty of daylight left to park and set up.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys.............so far.....thats the plan. I will be spending a few nights ( at LazyDays ).......to check out all the systems.....before I hit the road.

I did purchase a Woodalls campground guide and a new ( 2011 ) Rand McNallyRoad Atlas.

Any other help would be welcome.............

Thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #5

I certainly agree with the Pre Delivery Inspection. We spent 6 hours, and it wasn't enough time. We should have spent at least two days. Here is a link to a pretty good check list.

RV Inspection Checklist

So far as travel itinerary, go to Camping World near where you pick it up and get a Woodall's Camping Book. Also, you can check out the following link to read reviews of RV parks along the way in each state.

RV Park Reviews :: Home

I agree with trying to keep your travel time to about 300 miles per day. It will give you time to get to know your RV and time to enjoy the camping lifestyle.

Safe Travels and good luck on your purchase.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi don-deb,
Next to Lazy-Days (LD) there is a Camping World (CW). In addition to the above mentioned items, you're going to need the basics:
1. Water hose (2 25' lengths)
2. Sewer hose (2 20' lengths)
3. Connections for # 1 and 2
4. 50 to 30 AMP adapter
5. 50 AMP Surge Protector (assuming the coach is a 50 AMP service)
6. Water pressure regulator
7. Some glass cleaner and pole with multiple ends to wash the windshield. (there will be bugs)
8. There is a Flying J truck stop next to LD. Go there an get one of their directories. This will allow you to plan your fuel stops. Also get an application for the RV Real Value Card. The J has easy in and easy out. With just the coach, you can use their RV fuel pumps. In the future, if you tow a car, consider using their truck pumps.
9. Make sure LD fills your propane tank.
10. When you stop for lunch, make the campground (CG) reservation for that night. You can figure 50 MPH as an overall average speed. This includes potty, meal and any other breaks you take.
11. Carry at lease 1/2 tank of fresh water. I carry a full tank.

CW has enough accessories to overwhelm you. For this visit, get the basics you need to get home. Over time you'll know what other items you'll need.

As to the route, I 95 is the way to go for your first trip. The road is flat. All you need to do is plan to hit the big cities outside of the commute times. As to how many miles per day, consider being on the road by 7 AM and stopping no later than 4 PM. This includes a rest area lunch stop, if you have the food to make lunch. However many miles that is, is what it is. The only way I know for you to cross the Hudson River is via the upper deck of the GW bridge (vehicles carrying propane).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a place, right off the I-95. My 1/2 sister and her family own and run it...

South Carolina Camping, Point South Campground in South Carolina - KOA in Point South

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I also agree with long PDI. I spent one night in the coach before the PDI with the above checklist verifying everything I could, then went through with the tech. By the time the PDI was done, I had a list of about 50 items that needed attention.

I spent 3 days at the dealer (in a full hookup site) before my family joined me for the trip back home. This gave the dealer enough time to properly fix everything that I had found, plus document the stuff that could not be fixed right away so could be fixed under warranty by a dealer closer to home (we bought the coach new so it had the mfr warranty).

As you mentioned you'll want to use all the systems of the RV. You can pretend to be boondocking or dry camping by disconnecting all your hookups and working the generator, fresh water tank and pump, inverter (if equipped), etc. Needless to say, make sure they show you how to dump your holding tanks, too. Sometimes the valves are not in very obvious places.

Make sure the house batteries hold up under load (easy to do if you have a big inverter, just boil water in the microwave for a while). You may want to use a hydrometer to check their condition if they are not sealed.

If you coach does have an big inverter or a good 3 stage converter, make sure you know how to equalize the batteries (usually an option on higher-end inverters, it also can be automatic).

Run water heater on LP and the furnace(s) to insure they work well (something some people don't think of in the heat of the summer in FL). If you have heat pumps, make sure they heat as well as cool and both fan speeds work (usually at least two fan speeds in roof mounted A/C's).

Make sure to go on the roof and crawl under the coach, I brought a creeper along (plus dishes, bedding, etc for the trip home). Since you're flying you can't bring a lot of stuff with you, nothing that a trip to Wal*Mart, AutoZone, Northern Tools or Harbor Freight (or CW, as GaryKD mentioned) can't solve.

I agree with the I95 routing, note that you cannot go through the tunnels around Baltimore as well as what Gary mentioned about NYC. Also, the parkways (or whatever they are called on LI) are not real RV friendly, I ended up taking lots of local roads to Oceanside when we went by RV. If I remember correctly, the bridges over the parkway are arch shaped and have limited clearance unless you stay in the middle. You may want to reconnoiter your route from the city to insure you don't have any clearance problems.

If you find you have an extra day or so, consider taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, they do allow propane (it must be turned off), we did and it was a neat drive. We parked overnight at the rest area at the south end of the tunnel under the main shipping channel, saw a beautiful sunset and sunrise the next day. We continued up 2 lane roads and took a ferry to Cape May, NJ.

As Gary also mentioned, Flying J's are great places to fuel up, you can either use the truck pumps for diesel or the RV island most J's have. They also allow overnight parking. You can stay overnight at rest areas in SC, NC and VA (rules vary, but most states will allow you to get a good 8 hours sleep). A lot of times, we hurry along, not staying in campgrounds for part of the trip so we can slow down and stay in nice campgrounds in desirable locations in other parts of the trip.

Since it is a D/P, you may want to try to get LD to do a full PM, as they can get expensive, and you don't want to get the coach just to find out it needs an expensive PM. I'm sure some D/P owners can chime in on what to ask for.

Good Luck, and have enjoy your new-to-you coach!
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
don-deb,

I've made the trip many times and I95 is great until you get to Virginia. From DC to Philley its a nightmare of congestion and construction. I usually turn off I95 in Fredricksburg, VA and take Rt. 17 up to I-66 and then take I-66 to I-81 through VA, WV, MD and PA. Right past Harrisburg, PA, you will get on I-78 and take that to NJ and I-287. I-287 will lead you to I-80 where you can take the GW Bridge (UPPER DECK ONLY) to the Cross Bronx. Cross the Throgs Neck Bridge and get on the Clearview which will lead you to the L.I.E. and home.

Remember DO NOT get on a Parkway in NY as the bridges will be too low. ONLY use the Expressways!

My lovely Italian wife was born in Brooklyn and all her relatives moved to Lon-Giland so we have done the NYC through route many times.

We now live about 2miles off I78 in NJ so PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:15 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks again guys.............thats what I needed to know. I was wondering about the traffic and congestion on I-95 around the big cities. I was thinking about the Chesapeake bridge/tunnel .....but unsure about the propane restrictions. I imagine that is a beautiful ride. Being in no rush....since I'll be on vacation for 2 weeks......I was planning to use " rest " areas as just that......but spend nights in campgrounds. I think this will help me learn the coach also. Really looking forward to this trip..........

So I'll redo my itinerary.....and reduce my estimate daily drive time from 400 to 300 miles per day ( since Im doing this solo )... and avoid DC to Philly.

RVT.......My lovely Italian wife ( until she gets angry ) was also born and raised in Brooklyn ( Bensonhurst ) ....until 18 years ago..... when I rescued her and brought her out to Lon-Giland..........

Thanks guys for the help.....
Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
PS...........just looking at my road atlas.........has anyone ever taken I-95 to Virgina ( Emporia )...then route 58 to the Chesapeake Bridge-Tunnel.........then route 13 .... into New Jeresy. This route seems to avoid alot of city congestion.

What do you think of this route ???

Thanks
Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi don-deb,
I've taken the I95 and CBBT route many times. The difference is scenic versus Interstate highway. I do not believe there is any difference in time. The CBBT route has many small towns, slower speed limits and small town traffic.

For me it is flip a coin. It just depends on the mood I'm in.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
don deb,

There is a great Walmart in Emporia, VA to stop at.

Only did bridge tunnel in a pickup truck, no RV. With that route, you will still have to deal with the DE/PA/NJ bottleneck and the NJ Turnpike tolls. I believe you have to shut off your propane tanks to go through the bridge tunnel in a RV.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #14

Enjoy the trip, since you are at LazyDays you might want to look into taking their driving class, it's free if you purchased your MH from them. It will give you some tips and seat time driving before you hit the road. And make sure you try everything while you are there.
DEWSOO is offline   Reply With Quote