Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Travel in Kentucky

I plan to travel to Texas from central Ohio soon and wonder if anyone has an opinion on how good the Western Parkway ( in Kentucky) is for RV Travel.
i'll be coming down Rt. 71 to Louisville,then down Rt.65 to the Parkway. I'll travel west on the Western Parkway, then south on the Purchase parkway , then to Rt 40 west from the Memphis area.
thanks
redtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I just made that run (Middletown, OH to La Porte, TX) 2 weeks ago and will do so again at the end of the month. Route was very good other than close to Louisville, some construction traffic but not bad.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Have not been on the parkway to Louisville lately but can say the Purchase is in very good shape. The roads in Tn. to Memphis are in good shape and four lane divided. I40 in Ar. has been beaten to death by trucks. One route to miss 40 is to cross the bridge and take I55 North to the Marion (64) exit. Go west on 64 to Searcy and then go down to LR.
Road is two lane to Searcy but in good shape. Down side is a few speed traps in the little bergs.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't help you with the parkways.. But stay off KY rual roads.... Dang near cashed in my insurance policy on one of those, Narrow, deep ditches, got lucky and kept her upright and got it back on the road w/o incident save the need for some clean undies. And a bit of cleaning of the underside on the rig (just earth).
Old 01-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #5

redtop,

The I-64 bridge (westbound) in Louisville is still closed, so there is a lot more traffic on the I-65 bridge (southbound). If you use this route, be sure to avoid rush hour in the morning and afternoon. Or, you may want to bypass Louisville completely by coming down I-75 through Cincinnati, past Lexington, then taking the Bluegrass Parkway to the Western KY Parkway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop View Post
I plan to travel to Texas from central Ohio soon and wonder if anyone has an opinion on how good the Western Parkway ( in Kentucky) is for RV Travel.
i'll be coming down Rt. 71 to Louisville,then down Rt.65 to the Parkway. I'll travel west on the Western Parkway, then south on the Purchase parkway , then to Rt 40 west from the Memphis area.
thanks
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Travel in Kentucky

I did use the trip routing from Good Sam's club. Printed the rout and was surprised that it didn't show any rest areas on the parkway. I tryed the Kentucky tourism site to see if there was a place to ask questions but I didn't see one. Can anyone that's been through there tell me if there our any rest areas there? I like to stop every couple hours to walk around. I'll
probably need gas and get in one stop then.
Thanks
redtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #7

Western KY Parkway has at least one that I remember in 155 miles. The Bluegrass Parkway doesn't have any, but it's only 73 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop View Post
I did use the trip routing from Good Sam's club. Printed the rout and was surprised that it didn't show any rest areas on the parkway. I tryed the Kentucky tourism site to see if there was a place to ask questions but I didn't see one. Can anyone that's been through there tell me if there our any rest areas there? I like to stop every couple hours to walk around. I'll
probably need gas and get in one stop then.
Thanks
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #8

I travel to Memphis from Cincinnati several times a year, 75/71 to 65 to 40 in the Monaco, thinking there are a few stops along the way but can't remember. There are some truck stops though which have room for rigs.
I will say though that the road is rough on 71 in areas however I think they finished some of the construction recently so it is better than eariler this summer. It was strange, sort of a repaving project gone wrong??
I-40 can be tough near Nashville, don't run that route during rush hour. Although I think the construction is done there which helps. I think it might be worse headed East during evening rush though.
Windecker
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #9

Redtop, I hope this is not too late for your trip. The Western Kentucky (WK) Parkway (also called the Wendell Ford Parkway) is an excellent road. The exit for it from I-65 is slightly confusing as I remember, just follow the signs to Paducah. The parkway has been resurfaced within the last year or so and is very smooth as I remember. There is only one Oasis on the route, close to Beaver Dam, KY, and has an Arby's and Fuel. The fuel is expensive, so go about 1/2 mile past the Oasis to the next exit where there are two fuel stops with a little more reasonable prices. The Purchase Parkway is also a good road, but I cannot remember any rest areas along the way. Have a safe trip.

Marv
nuthut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel