RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #15

In my limited experiences the border patrol check points take about 15 seconds once you get your turn to pull up to the check point. I stopped at the one on I-10 75 or so miles east of El Paso in October on the way home to Louisiana. As I recall the officer asked me 2 questions, Are you alone, I answered yes, that my wife had flown home and left me to drive across Texas on my own. I think his second question was where are you headed, and I said home to Louisiana. In the past one of their questions has always been are you US citizen, but strangely that was not asked this last time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #16

We are currently in Mission, TX in the RGV. The weather has been warm, alternating between 80's and few day's in the high 50's. There are a lot of RV parks in this area and all of them have spaces available to rent and most even have rental park models. This is not a place to boondock though, from here to Brownsville (60 miles) it is mostly metropolis and cities along the border. We have not had any contact with Border Patrol except when crossing into Progresso, MX. Go west if you want wide open spaces!

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:54 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbh44 View Post
We've been spending time in winter months in South Tx at Snow To Sun Resort.It's about 7 miles to border & we make frequent trips into Mexico with no problem.The Resort is on International Blvd.in Weslaco,Tx.The town in Mexico when you enter is Nuevo Progreso.We park on US side & walk across International Bridge but you can drive across if you wish.I've had Dental work done there,bought medicine,etc,,, all you need crossing back into US is Passport.Very friendly people,eager to please & always very safe.

Aletta Hargis
Totally agree with you.Checking through Customs we've never had a problem,they'll ask what we're bringing back & its always Gifts & Antibiotics,etc,,they've never checked out bags cause we don't try to bring banned products back.We have one Check point on the road & they always ask where we're from,where we're heading & how many on board.The whole time they're are talking to us the Customs Dog is walking around our coach.Also they have mirrors to view under your coach & mirrors above viewing top of coach.We've always fround them very friendly.Just answer their questions honestly & you'll be fine.
Happy traveling to the southern part,we love it
Ron Aletta & Teri (Fur BAby)
2004 ksdp tow,2013 CRV
rbh44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbh44 View Post
Totally agree with you.Checking through Customs we've never had a problem,they'll ask what we're bringing back & its always Gifts & Antibiotics,etc,,they've never checked out bags cause we don't try to bring banned products back.We have one Check point on the road & they always ask where we're from,where we're heading & how many on board.The whole time they're are talking to us the Customs Dog is walking around our coach.Also they have mirrors to view under your coach & mirrors above viewing top of coach.We've always fround them very friendly.Just answer their questions honestly & you'll be fine.
Happy traveling to the southern part,we love it
Ron Aletta & Teri (Fur BAby)
2004 ksdp tow,2013 CRV

And thank them for their service. I do.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with all the above, especially using 90, I10 to 90 through SA is pretty much a straight shot, just avoid rush; visiting Big Bend, if March best have a reservation from recreation.gov, Chisos Basin if small rig, Rio grande if large,;good dry camping at community center near Judge Bean.
Greg121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all of the advice. We are parked on Holly Beach LA this morning and will go into Texas today. We are following the frugalshunpikers books and they sure are great. We have No Country for old men and Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean on tap and will play them at the appropriate times. We will continue to check in.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #21

Travel in South Texas near the border?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Thanks for all of the advice. We are parked on Holly Beach LA this morning and will go into Texas today. We are following the frugalshunpikers books and they sure are great. We have No Country for old men and Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean on tap and will play them at the appropriate times. We will continue to check in.

Also the 1980ís movie Fandango was filmed in the far southwest Texas area you are heading to.

Be sure and spend some time in the Terlingua ghost town on the other side of Big Bend and check out the old cemetery.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #22

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0321.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	768.7 KB
ID:	275961
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #23

Less than a year ago we travelled a Texas border road from Harlingen to Big Bend. Think it was late April or early May. Weather was great. Some of the highway was very narrow and steep but not really an issue since traffic was kind of nonexistent. Parts of the road were next to the river, very scenic. That's a very remote road. Stayed a couple of nights in Big Bend at the park national camp ground, the paid campground was full, reservations would be best if you know when you'll be there.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #24
GBB

You can even rent a jeep in Lajitas...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3006.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	547.1 KB
ID:	276081  
Old 02-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #25

I hope you found a more challenging 4x4 drive than that!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #26
GBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I hope you found a more challenging 4x4 drive than that!!
Yep we sure did..😜

Tags
texas, travel