Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Travel plans - best route from Rapid City SD to Klamath CA

We are leaving Saturday for an extended trip in the MH. Our first stop is Rapid City, South Dakota. After 5 days there, we are traveling to Klamath, California.

My question is what is the best route from Rapid City to Klamath. The maps show a northern route that brings me in from Washington and Oregon. A southern route takes me through Salt Lake City, Reno, then to California.

I am not crazy about driving in the mountains for hours at a time but would love to to see the scenery. Any experiences that you could share would be appreciated.

Ron Patterson
2003 Discovery 39L
RonPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #2

I-80 across WY is not very scenic ... a few miles between Cheyenne and Laramie ... and near Green River ... but the rest is quite vanilla (as compared to butter pecan) ...

I-80 has the lowest elevation to cross the Rockies ... it also has the potential for enormous winds

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #3

beauty is in the eye of the beholder-I/80 is a good route but prairie all the way to California.Going up to I/90 is mountainous with prairie in spots.Your call,travel down I/5 from Washington,Oregon to me a pain.Heavy traffic!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
If you stay on I-90 once you get to western Montana, you will see gorgeous scenery all of the way across the Idaho panhandle and into eastern WA. We live in eastern WA and last month went down and got on I-84 along the Columbia river to Portland. Route to 101 along 26 is lovely, then down 101 along the coast to CA. Lots to see and do as with any popular travel route. If you have diesel, you may be pleased to find it less expensive than reg gas. This was last month, so may have changed.

I would recommend that you get off I-90, or I-84 here and there and take state routes for interesting side trips.

JoAnn
Spokane Valley, WA
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After our time in Rapid City, we headed off on I90 toward California. After pegging the temp gauge on Bozeman Hill, I had enough of mountain driving. Butte, Montana is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen.

We decided to break off the trip while in Butte and headed down I25 and toward home. Too many nights in Wal-Mart and severe cross winds wore me down. Hope to be back in North Carolina Sunday afternoon.

How do you long distance travelers manage to keep traveling from wearing you down?

Ron
Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Stop staying at Wal-Marts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPatt View Post
After our time in Rapid City, we headed off on I90 toward California. After pegging the temp gauge on Bozeman Hill, I had enough of mountain driving. Butte, Montana is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen.

We decided to break off the trip while in Butte and headed down I25 and toward home. Too many nights in Wal-Mart and severe cross winds wore me down. Hope to be back in North Carolina Sunday afternoon.

How do you long distance travelers manage to keep traveling from wearing you down?

Ron
Hi Ron,
First of all, stop staying at Wal-Marts. There are a lot of places to pull off for the night. Pull in and hook up. ( Good Sams parks, KOA’s ) Start early and pull off before dark. Unwind with a good dinner, drink and enjoy what the coach was meant for. When you get a good nights sleep it's amazing how you feel the next day. JMO Safe travels!
14 Cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #7

We "travel" on interstates no more than half of each day if it is possible.

We stop every couple of hours and walk for 10 or 15 minutes

We limit our travel to 7 to 8 hours in a day.

We stay in RV parks if there is one available within about 5 miles of our route. We never boondock two days in a row.

We have breakfast and one other meal in the motorhome each day ... and one meal outside the motorhome

We try to stop and "see something" at least once every other day.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are a 250 mile a day travelers and we have never stayed at a Walmart or any other place without hook-ups. We don't travel every single day. Every 2 to 3 days we spend two nights and that gives me plenty of time to catch up on rest and wind down, and once in a while it is every 4th day we stop for 2 nights. The 250 mile is not set in stone. I have gone 400 miles across Florida panhandle and we decided that will not happen again. I have gone 300 and 350 miles on occasion and it all depends on "how I feel." Most of those longer mileage days are the day after the two nights of rest. Many times I do a FHU, but sometimes I just do EW when it is a one nighter.

Being "retarded" I never have to travel fast. Being retired is hard work. I never know when I'm finished.

It's whatever lifts my skirt!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
I-80 across WY is not very scenic ... a few miles between Cheyenne and Laramie ... and near Green River ... but the rest is quite vanilla (as compared to butter pecan) ...

I-80 has the lowest elevation to cross the Rockies ... it also has the potential for enormous winds
Got to experience the tremendous winds all day Wednesday as we traveled from
Green River to Elm Creek, Neb on I80. I was definitely worn out.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Revolution View Post
Hi Ron,
First of all, stop staying at Wal-Marts. There are a lot of places to pull off for the night. Pull in and hook up. ( Good Sams parks, KOA’s ) Start early and pull off before dark. Unwind with a good dinner, drink and enjoy what the coach was meant for. When you get a good nights sleep it's amazing how you feel the next day. JMO Safe travels!
Good thoughts and I completely agree.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
We are a 250 mile a day travelers and we have never stayed at a Walmart or any other place without hook-ups. We don't travel every single day. Every 2 to 3 days we spend two nights and that gives me plenty of time to catch up on rest and wind down, and once in a while it is every 4th day we stop for 2 nights. The 250 mile is not set in stone. I have gone 400 miles across Florida panhandle and we decided that will not happen again. I have gone 300 and 350 miles on occasion and it all depends on "how I feel." Most of those longer mileage days are the day after the two nights of rest. Many times I do a FHU, but sometimes I just do EW when it is a one nighter.

Being "retarded" I never have to travel fast. Being retired is hard work. I never know when I'm finished.

It's whatever lifts my skirt!
I like your plan. I try to fit too much travel in too short of time. We spent Wednesday and Thursday night in CG. This allowed time to rest and catchup on laundry.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPatt View Post
.... as we traveled from
Green River to Elm Creek, Neb on I80. I was definitely worn out.
Streets & Trips shows that is 570 miles ... that is WAY TOO MANY miles ... even without wind ... for most of us that would be 1.5 or 2.0 days of travel. No wonder you were tired.

When we were younger and travelled by car we would travel those distances in a day ... but we are older and travelling in our motorhome ... we are just not in that big of a hurry anymore ... it is not that important to us to be the first one to the top of the hill, so to speak.

Tags
travel