Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
I don’t know if it works for you but you can Try mapping it from Kennett to port Jervis ny then from there to mystic. It may be about 30 minutes longer but you can catch I-84 in port Jervis and completely avoid the city. The cross Bronx is usually a mess.
+ 1 for this route. I like to take this route and go through the Delaware Water Gap to 84. This route gets you off the big road for a little while and the scenery is nice. I regularly travel form Fl to NC and then MA and always avoid the big cities and tolls. The only toll you hit is at the bridge in Newburg, NY and it’s fairly cheap for RV and toad.
Happi Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There are no more toll collectors in the North East. Its toll by plate with a small upcharge.
Good to know. Are you saying they have done away with transponders?

I know in Texas there are no more payments in cash, and they will bill you by plate including a "service fee", but you sometimes get a small discount when using their TxTag transponders and a prepaid account.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Good to know. Are you saying they have done away with transponders?

I know in Texas there are no more payments in cash, and they will bill you by plate including a "service fee", but you sometimes get a small discount when using their TxTag transponders and a prepaid account.
They still use the EZ pass transponder but if you don’t have one they will mail you a bill with a slight up charge for not having the EZ pass
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #18

At a minimum I would go North up to 78 to 287. Stay on 287 all the way to 95.

Do not get on the Merit Parkway 5/15 in CT.

Check out Google maps with the traffic option turned on.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #19

Many toll roads in the Northeast have cash toll collectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There are no more toll collectors in the North East. Its toll by plate with a small upcharge.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 3 View Post
At a minimum I would go North up to 78 to 287. Stay on 287 all the way to 95.

Do not get on the Merit Parkway 5/15 in CT.

Check out Google maps with the traffic option turned on.
Or pick up I-287 in New Brunswick and loop around and over the Tappan Zee Bridge all the way back to I-95. It's only 33 miles longer than staying on the NJTP and I-95, and it avoids the GW Bridge and Cross Bronx Expressway. Do some Google street view exploring on the XBE - no shoulders, especially near the bridge, and slow heavy traffic. And don't get stuck in the wrong lane.

Still have to deal with traffic on I-95 in CT, which was bad enough 40 years ago when I drove that daily, and it's much worse now.

Edit: But if you do decide to take the George, use the upper level.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
I don’t know if it works for you but you can Try mapping it from Kennett to port Jervis ny then from there to mystic. It may be about 30 minutes longer but you can catch I-84 in port Jervis and completely avoid the city. The cross Bronx is usually a mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Shorter than via Port Jervis, is to take the NJ Tpk to the Garden State Parkway to I-287 E to I-95 N. This will save you time, tolls, and be easier on your nerves as it avoids crossing New York City. Yes, RV's are allowed on the GSP.
Either of these 10X better than GW bridge.
Plot them out and decide which is best for you.
IMO upcharge for not having an EZ Pass or other accepted transponder is more than minor from prior experience.

Looks like upcharge is in the 25% - 50% range
https://www.masslive.com/business/20...-route-15.html
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #22

Took the I-95/George Washington Bridge route on our trip to New Hampshire exactly 2 years ago.

GW toll was cash and around $70 for my 2 axles. We had been charged automobile rates up to that point. Toll Collector said "This is NY City, we do things differently here!"

GW road condition was one large pot hole surrounded by an infinite number of large pot holes. Worst road condition I have ever seen!

I would never take this route again. We returned from New Hampshire via the Mass Pike and the NY Thru-way to avoid this nightmare bridge and the complete gridlock of traffic thru Connecticut.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take the Tappan Zee and bypass NYC.
Digger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:21 PM   #24

Try the toll by-pass in Denver . . . $87.00
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrs View Post
That sounds like a highway.

The toll in NYC is for the GWB, one bridge. There are other toll roads that you may end up using to get you to and from it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
I have finished most of our summer trip reservations. I may have made a mistake. We normally only travel about 200 miles a day. One of the legs of the trip is 270 miles from Kennett Square PA to Mystic CT in late June. The trip is on I95 through the New York area on a Wednesday. Normally, I always avoid large cities. I am wondering what to expect along the portion of the trip that is in the NYC area. We should hit that area around noon.
Well, We have long ago abandoned I-95 through that part of the country.
We run up GSP and go across the Tappan Zee Bridge. OF course, we are usually on the way to Maine. Getting back down to Mystic might be a challenge. Dunno.

Definitely worth getting the EZ-Pass, though, if you are going to make regular trips.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrs View Post
I've run that a number of times. It's worth every penny, compared to trying to run I-25 through the Denver metro, except for the wee hours of Sunday morning.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:29 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Last month it took us 1 1/2 hrs to go across the Cross Bronx and the George Washington Bridge. We go that way because we live on Eastern Long Island. If you decide you want to go across the Bridge stay in the far left and center lane so you do not have to squeeze over at the far end of the bridge. It is worth it to go across the Tappan Zee which is now the Mario Cuomo Memorial Bridge.

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel