Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Travel with Toad or without

We are planning a early spring trip from Upstate NY south to Fl. then west to Arizona, up to SD, then turn east and return. Total miles: approx. 6,000.
We plan on stopping every 3rd night for a couple of days at places of interest.
We are trying to decide to bring the Toad (Ford Edge) or travel solo and rent a car in areas that we want to explore.
Our MH is 35ft, Ford V10. Toad weight: 4100 lb. We average 7.2 mpg solo, 6.0 towing. We estimate using the car 30 days out of a 2 month trip.
Cost wise: tow or rent?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #2

Tow is my choice. You will be in some areas where it may not be easy to rent. That can be due to either a lot of people renting or sparse population. Plus if you rent you will be locked in more on travel by rental companies open hours and possibly have back tracking. Plus if MH has problems you still have transportation handy.
At 400 miles/day you are looking at something like 13 gal. or less than $39 even if prices go up a bit for gas.

Tom
Old 10-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb 73 View Post
We are planning a early spring trip from Upstate NY south to Fl. then west to Arizona, up to SD, then turn east and return. Total miles: approx. 6,000.
We plan on stopping every 3rd night for a couple of days at places of interest.
We are trying to decide to bring the Toad (Ford Edge) or travel solo and rent a car in areas that we want to explore.
Our MH is 35ft, Ford V10. Toad weight: 4100 lb. We average 7.2 mpg solo, 6.0 towing. We estimate using the car 30 days out of a 2 month trip.
Cost wise: tow or rent?
Toad, plans change, Bring it, Use it,

When we had the V10 we slowed down a little and got just about the same milage on longer trips on long drives, so IMHO it is really a no Brainer, just makes everything Easier.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bring the towed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:40 PM   #5

We can't imagine doing that long of a trip without your own car. It really doesn't make any difference in your motorhome's fuel mileage and you won't be confined to the campground if you want to do something on the spur of the moment - even grocery shopping or a meal in town, not to mention reading about a swell place to explore and unable to do it. As someone already mentioned.... if you have trouble on the highway your car might come in handy.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Bring the toad. You may not be able to rent a car at some of the places you stop at and want to see.
I take mine everywhere.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #7

I would not travel anywhere without a toad.
It will take just one breakdown in the middle of no where to really convince you should have a toad.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:00 PM   #8

Travel with Toad or without

Over 6K miles, the mpg difference will cost only about $400. Under 7 bucks per day.
Enjoy the trip.

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We prefer to have the toad.

It adds:

Late night ice cream runs
Ability to go pick up a few more things at the shops
Side trips
Brewery visits (DW driving)
Escape pod if unexpectedly broken down
Rescue pod...to source parts
Additional storage for doo dads purchased along the way
A carry-all for bikes and kayaks

Hmmm....nothing says Enterprise to me....
Old 10-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On our first trip we did not bring the toad. We were in Mobile AL, arrived on a Sunday and could not get the car until the next day. They picked us up but it still took 3 hours including wait time. Drop off was different since I could park nearby while DW dropped off the rental.

On our future trips due to the time lag on this one we have always pulled the toad. This included the trip from MI to AZ and back. Having our own car was good instead of renting one.

Enjoy your own vehicle and have a great trip
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I Never leave home without the toad ..
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:36 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Thank you all for the comments. We have towed our Ford Edge over 10k miles with our previous MH (Coachman) without any problems. We just bought the new Forest River and only used the Toad twice for short trips to drop off the unit at dealer for warranty work.
Our trip in the spring will be to do everything on our bucket list, so bringing the Toad makes a lot of common sense.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:46 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Toad or Not To Toad.. that is the question

Just finished 5,600 miles in the West. National Parks of Rocky Mountain, Mt. Lassen, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest. Cities of Pagosa Springs, Denver, Fort Collins, Carson City, Redding, Victorville, San Clemente, San Diego, Phoenix, Dallas.

No Toad. No need for one.

In Denver, San Clemente, San Diego, Phoenix we used Uber. Uber/Lyft can change the game. We spent less than $100 bucks total with Uber ( we would rather spend the $400 bucks noted above on fun stuff).

Most National Parks have shuttle bus systems and we find a good place to park and use shuttles (we spend at least one whole day at the park).

We plan our groceries and fuel stops ahead with our RV before our stops, and we plan to be "out" for the days we are exploring (carry backpacks with water/snacks etc).

So.. though as all have said, they have comfort and convenience with a Toad... we do very well without one.
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb 73 View Post
Thank you all for the comments. We have towed our Ford Edge over 10k miles with our previous MH (Coachman) without any problems. We just bought the new Forest River and only used the Toad twice for short trips to drop off the unit at dealer for warranty work.
Our trip in the spring will be to do everything on our bucket list, so bringing the Toad makes a lot of common sense.
Our trip in the spring will be to do everything on our bucket list

- I've got a feeling that if you are like most of us this will just be the beginning of the BUCKET LIST - ......

As we have never done a trip in the last 50 years that satisfied us. We will either need to return to see it in a different season or maybe just from the other direction. Soooooooooo much to see and Never Enough TIME.

I can say - ask whenever you stop - the Locals are the best source for info. So much more to see and do than you ever thought. So many Great little Secrets out there.

Just a little (LOT) from a post 5 + years ago on Bucket Lists;

My top 10 would be the drive to and thru these places; my second 10 would be the destinations.

1. Yellowstone, Wyoming coming from the south and leaving thru the Beartooth Pass this would include Dinosaur NP, Flaming Gorge and (7)The Grand Teton NP -- I'll also throw in the drive to and through Wind Canyon between Thermopolis and Shoshoni.
2. All of southern Utah this drive would include Arches and Canyon land NPs, Capitol Reef NP, Escalante NM, Zion, Bryce NPs, with a drive around Lake Powell, and because we have time well do the north rim of the (8)Grand Canyon. (will stop in as many SP's as possible Kodachrome and Goblins, for sure and if the timing is right lets catch a few of the slot Canyons - Antelope)
3. The San Juans of Colorado, this would include Gunnison NP, for the life of me I cant understand how this area has been so left out of the national park system other than it has so many private land owners(silver mines and coal), starting on Gunnison Reservoir (including Crested Butte) we would go down to Lake City taking the Alpine loop over to Silverton(just the tow car and only if its tough and 4X4) leaving to Ouray then over to Telluride thru Dunton and Rico to Cortez slipping into Mesa Verde NP, then taking the Durango to Silverton RR before back tracking the Million Dollar high all the way back to Montrose and Gunnison, NP. While in Colorado I would try to time it so as to be able to do the drive again to Maroon Bells, starting in Leadville - Buena Vista area and going thru Independence Pass during the last week of September when the Aspen have turned.
4. Ashville, NC is the start of the next trip heading to Lake Toxaway on RT 64, better have your driving gloves on and pray for light traffic, from there to Cashiers and Highland heading NW to Silva and the Pisgah National Forest getting on the southern most part of the Blue Ridge parkway heading north untill your worn out. (Might just catch a quick hike in the Great Smoky Mountains NP). These are some of the most beautiful and wild mountains in the US. This is where they filmed the Last of the Mohicans.
5. Glacier NP Going to the Sun Road, need I say more? Just driving anywhere around this park will give you a rush, just follow the rivers and stay by the lakes. (might need to head up to Banff while this close)
6. Canyon de Chelly NM. Will always go by this spiritual place of the Navajo Indians usually coming from or going to the Grand Canyon going through the four mesas to Grand Canyon NP
7. The Grand Teton NP. See number 1 its only number seven because I got to see it when I did number 1 and the bonus is to catch Yellowstone again.
8. The Grand Canyon NP. See number 2 its only number eight because I saw it from the high side on the drive on number 2. As long as this is my dream might just throw in a Rafting trip.
9. Yosemite and Sequoia are this late only because I dont like to drive in California and it is almost always crowded, but thses are both two of the most beautiful spots in America.
10. Three way tie for tenth -- Carlsbad, Olympic and Cascades NPs these are always hard because my wife thinks they are so far from everything but trust me these are great drives and beautiful places that are well worth the drive.

As you can see I've been working on this Bucket List, and it has to be a LIST to qualify, IMHO, Sure there are places I have yet to go but having seen and experienced so many it would be great to just do them all again, maybe with the Grandaughters, Now that would be a trip.

Having driven back and forth this country more times than I can remember, one thing we've learned you will never see it all and every trip down every road will uncover a new adventure.

Take a look at Stan's Photo Album - Stan Parker's Photo Galleries at pbase.com - for some great shots -- many are waterfalls, so you might find a couple new spots to discover on your trip.

Today this would likely need to be a whole lot more, like I said every trip just leads to more you want to see and do.

Take the toad - just soooo much to see.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, travel