Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

Traveling fla to pa

I was going from fla to pa wanted to take 95 to 64 into 81 into pa like to hear any comments on this route .
Jonnypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
What part of Pa.? 95 carries a lot of traffic! along with traffic jams for hours if something goes wrong......
Old 01-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #3

I-95N to Fredericksburg, US 17 to I-64, then I-81 into PA. This cuts out Washington. There are some red lights for the first couple of miles on US 17 and most of it is two lane blacktop but a nice drive. There is a Flying J at I-81 VA-WVA line that is usually the cheapest fuel on that part of I-81. PA just added 10 cents a gallon tax on Jan. 1.

Also this week is Farm Show in Harrisburg, possible heavy traffic in area just after crossing the river.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #4

I make the drive past the farm show building everyday. Traffic increase on 81 is negligible.

95-->64-->81 is solid choice. The area of Virginia north of 64 is pretty brutal with traffic and weird intersections.
DTMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The OP has "Doylestown" listed as location, which is a far-northeast suburb of Philly. I-81 will bring him into PA nearly 100 miles away from there. If I were him, I'd take 95 north to Richmond, then get on 301, and follow the 301/50 route across the bay at Annapolis, then north through the Delmarva and finally across the Delaware on the Delaware Memorial Bridge and up I-295. Look at where Doylestown is on a map, it's way up in Bucks County north-west of Trenton, with no really good way to get there from the west.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
north to doylestown

We just came up from Florida by 95 to Richmond and across 301/50 to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. It was a great ride!!!!
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva51 View Post
We just came up from Florida by 95 to Richmond and across 301/50 to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. It was a great ride!!!!
That is our route too. also is the road is open and flat going through Delaware. Only toll is the Annapolis bridge. I would also note that going from NJ to PA incurs a toll too. I would take 95 to 495 loop to 50.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
The OP's route is a very nice drive, just a little longer than than the others mentioned, but it it misses the Washington-Baltimore mess and is an easier drive.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No sure with OP you mean. WE travel this route three or more time per year. We go south in Delaware Rt 1 or 301 to 50 to 495 loop to 95 south.
Same coming back.
This eliminates toll on 95 in Delaware and tolls in Maryland going around the Tunnel in Baltimore.
It also eliminates All the hills on 95 and the massive traffic from above baltimore through Washington. 50 can get a little crowed as does 495 but not bad when compared to other route. 81 is full of hill and potential for poor weather.

We also have tired 301 south but it gets slow and backed up. also increases the toll costs. The other option is to take 13 down over the CBT bridge to Norfolk. We have done that but it is long, costly and still end up on traffic clogs in VA.

Our route from Jackson to Doylestown is 888 miles and rt 81 route will be longer when you add in the tunnel detour and out of way travel on 81. A direct route up 95 is only 8 miles shorter. Our route travel time is 13.5 -14 hours and rt 95 route is 13.2-who know how long with traffic.. We experience at least 1.5 to 2.5 hour delays on Baltimore to Mannassis. The worst Delays are really in Virginia on 95
Old 01-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
No sure which OP you mean. WE travel this route three or more time per year. We go south in Delaware Rt 1 or 301 to 50 to 495 loop to 95 south.
Same coming back.
I'm with you, my friend. DMB, down the Dupont Highway to DE 1 to US 301 around Middletown and then down through the E/Shore to Annapolis is an easy, flat, no-traffic solution. Also, I'm jealous of your 72 E-Type, you fink! I owned a '73, Primrose yellow convertible with auto and wire wheels when I was in-between colleges and working two jobs to pay off the $215 a month car payment back in 1974/75. It was sweet. Marriage and return to college screwed that up, though. Shoulda kept the car and dumped the girl.

Next time you go south, you'll have to give a yell. Love to see that little cat.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:20 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
I'm with you, my friend. DMB, down the Dupont Highway to DE 1 to US 301 around Middletown and then down through the E/Shore to Annapolis is an easy, flat, no-traffic solution. Also, I'm jealous of your 72 E-Type, you fink! I owned a '73, Primrose yellow convertible with auto and wire wheels when I was in-between colleges and working two jobs to pay off the $215 a month car payment back in 1974/75. It was sweet. Marriage and return to college screwed that up, though. Shoulda kept the car and dumped the girl.

Next time you go south, you'll have to give a yell. Love to see that little cat.
We used to have a 70 6 cyl stick with knock offs but it got totaled. Now we this this primrose pussycat in florida. When we go down there permanently I will stroke her soft gentle curves and make her purrrrrrrrr.

I want to get her six spax shocks pumpin up and down while her 12 cylinders scream. After that i'll lift her bonnet to see that pretty top with 4 carb just sucking air. 147 mph flat out.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
We used to have a 70 6 cyl stick with knock offs but it got totaled. Now we this this primrose pussycat in florida. When we go down there permanently I will stroke her soft gentle curves and make her purrrrrrrrr.

I want to get her six spax shocks pumpin up and down while her 12 cylinders scream. After that i'll lift her bonnet to see that pretty top with 4 carb just sucking air. 147 mph flat out.
I hate you... Yeah, loved trying to keep those four Strombergs in sync. I just ran the heck out of it when I could. I owned mine for about 15 months, 5/74 to 8/75, only had one problem when a sensor in the coolant system went bad and she wouldn't start. Mine nudged 150 one warm summer night on a new expressway that almost no one used at 3 AM. It was not fun in the snow and ice, though, I remember that. A bit too much power to the rear wheels. Sorry to go off topic, take care!

Tags
travel