Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #1

Traveling from TX to WI/Back

Greetings to all.

I am new to this forum. In January 2021, I will heading to pick up my RV from TX to WI and back. I would apricate any suggestions to how handle the roads during this time of the season. Also, all input is truly wanted. As the do and don't.

Thank you all in advance,

USMC 75
USMC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Semper FI!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	312495
Old 12-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC75 View Post
Greetings to all.

I am new to this forum. In January 2021, I will heading to pick up my RV from TX to WI and back. I would appreciate any suggestions to how handle the roads during this time of the season. Also, all input is truly wanted. As the do and don't.

USMC 75
Best thing I can say is to find a GOOD Weather forecast service you are comfortable with and keep an eye on the weather.

Keep the fuel and propane Full incase you need to just park for a bit, during a storm.

Might be good to see if there are parks open along the way - most in the Colder areas will close - leaving you to fend for yourself.

We've done Maryland to Colorado in January in a snow storm in Kansas - Doable but not really Fun, salt and RV's are not Friends.

Best of Luck,

Woke up to this in Kansas - SNOW!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0597.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	312497  
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I’ve lived in Michigan for 60 years. Driving in Wisconsin in January can be dangerous. You need to watch the weather closely before you leave Texas and during the trip. You might get lucky and not see blizzard conditions. You definitely don’t want to get caught in a white out.

If weather turns bad during your trip, find a place to sit till it gets better. Walmart is usually a good place to stop.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #5

In winter weather try to go with a tailwind. Makes steering easier. Especially on two lane roads meeting semis.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:16 PM   #6

At one time I had a stint as an over the road owner operator semi truck dude. My go/no go in winter weather was to watch what the UPS road drivers(they haul doubles) did. If they pulled over, so did I. I've spent some time on the shoulder of I-90/94 waiting for the plows and salt shakers. Ideally you would have pulled off before that point.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:14 PM   #7

Quote:
I will heading to pick up my RV from TX to WI and back.
I don't quite understand... you're leaving Wisconsin; driving to Texas to pick up a RV then driving back to Wisconsin and back to Texas?

Why not stay in Texas until at least March?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You don't say what type of RV, I'm guessing a pull behind rather than a motorhome. Either way good information already on watching the weather and the forecast. My rule of thumb is always if I don't feel comfortable I stay put or stop. If you are not on a strict time schedule, take your time. Spent many years driving a tractor trailer cross country and it's surprising how many over drive road conditions. Keep in mind stopping ability if roads are snow or ice covered. As Busskipper said keep fuel and propane full and make sure you have enough food and water at hand in case you have to hunker down.
busdriver803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If not winterized, buy some auto trouble lights with 100W+ incandescent bulbs to plug in the bays and a generator to power them...

close ALL air entrances to keep freezing temps at bay...
Old 12-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Greetings to all.

I am new to this forum. In January 2021, I will heading to pick up my RV from TX to WI and back. I would apricate any suggestions to how handle the roads during this time of the season. Also, all input is truly wanted. As the do and don't.

USMC 75
You don't give us much info so this may not be applicable at all;

Have you actually seen/driven this RV? Are we talking about a bumper pull or a new DP?
What I'm getting at is you will likely find several things that you want addressed/fixed. I would stay in texas for a while and do my own shakedown. Depending on what you find you may want the seller/dealer to fix the issues. In the current climate this can take weeks/months. Consider getting it fixed in Texas and then picking it up when it's warmer. It would be free storage unless you have storage in Wisconsin. Texas would be a great place to have a little vacation in March like someone said already.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #11

Quote:
from TX to WI and back
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't quite understand... you're leaving Wisconsin; driving to Texas to pick up a RV then driving back to Wisconsin and back to Texas?

Why not stay in Texas until at least March?
I'm not reading it that way.

I think he lives in Texas and is going to Wisconsin to PU a RV then back to Texas.

Brrr
Old 12-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I'm not reading it that way.

I think he lives in Texas and is going to Wisconsin to PU a RV then back to Texas.
Yes.... you're probably correct.

His statement: will heading to pick up my RV from TX to WI and back.

He said he'll be heading to pick up from Texas & that's what I zeroed in on. Hope he returns to see if any of this helped him!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah. I totally missread this.
I think you're right; Leaving Texas to go to WI and back to Texas. Just needs a snow free window. Shouldn't be that hard.
I'm still curious if the OP has seen this RV already.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote