Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #1

Traveling in New England

We are making a summer trip this year, we usually spend the summers at home at the beach. We will be heading up to Toronto in early August and then our next destination is the Boston area in late September.

We have not spent much time in the area and would like to see as much as possible in the time we have. I have yet to start plotting it on RV Trip Wizard (I just finished all the reservations for our trip to FL in March), just looking for suggestions of best routes and roads to avoid when wandering through New England.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
We are making a summer trip this year, we usually spend the summers at home at the beach. We will be heading up to Toronto in early August and then our next destination is the Boston area in late September.

We have not spent much time in the area and would like to see as much as possible in the time we have. I have yet to start plotting it on RV Trip Wizard (I just finished all the reservations for our trip to FL in March), just looking for suggestions of best routes and roads to avoid when wandering through New England.
I did this last fall and used 77 out of South Carolina to hit 81 which took me all the way to Scranton, then 84 to 87 all the way to Vermont, avoiding Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Philly, New York, etc. And no tolls (or very few). Ive taken 95 a couple times and always regretted it.

In New England, I’d shoot for anywhere north of Mass. Other than Boston, if you’ve never been there, it doesn’t have much New England to offer, and has a lot of stressed out, frenzied drivers. Get into Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine and things get very pleasant just about anywhere you go.

I like to avoid freeways when I can. Hwy 9 through Vermont and NH is a nice two lane, not challenging (although you are bound to run into road construction somewhere) and takes you through some very nice country, pleasant NE towns (Brattleboro, Keene, etc) and connects with 202 to take you almost all the way to Portland.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Also if you make it to Portland Me, stop at the Free Range fish Co. (450 Commercial St.) and buy as much lobster bisque as you can freeze and bring home with you. Its not only excellent soup, it’s loaded with big chunks of lobster so a meal in itself Lots of other things to take you toMaine, but this one just came to kind.

Seafood Market | Portland, ME | Free Range Fish & Lobster

I was also told to go to Biddeford for lobster but time didn’t permit so that’s an option worth exploring. I’ll probably check that out in a couple months.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Anywhere in the North East including New England make sure you use a trucker's atlas and or a Garmin GPS designed for RVs to avoid the many low underpasses, tunnels and bridge wt restrictions.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #5

Seconding the recommendation for a trucker's atlas at minimum. Do not rely on Google Maps or such in the northeast as there are quite a few more low clearances and weight limit roads and bridges than you will find elsewhere.

Also be aware that there are more toll roads in the northeast. If you are on I90 or I87 in NY, they only take cash or EZ Pass toll transponder. No credit cards, and AFAIK they have not gone to license plate billing yet. MassPike/I90 in Mass has.

Stay off anything labeled "parkway" in NY and the Merritt in CT. You are not permitted and you won't fit under the low clearance overpasses. Not sure about other parkways in CT.

If you are headed into and out of Canada, go online as close to your crossing as possible to look at customs regulations and understand what you are not allowed to take across the border. There are a number of food items, including pet food, that you cannot take across. There are other restricted items as well.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #6

If you want to tour Boston camp North or South of the city. Do NOT drive your RV into Boston. Take the T or your car/truck. Salisbury State Campground to the North and Normandy Farms to the South are good options.

Boston
- Quincy Market
- Hanover Street for great Italian
- Boston Red Sox game if they are home
- Freedom trail
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make reservations early for the Boston area due to Leaf Peepers.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #8

Thanks all for the great suggestions. Like other urban areas we have no plans to drive the motorhome in Boston. We used to make non motorhome trips to NY and have plenty of experience with parkways. I will have to check out the truckers Atlas. RV trip wizard shows bridge height, has it been accurate in New England?

I think we will have time this trip to go all the way to Maine, prior to the addition of an event in Boston in late September I didn't think we would be able to go to Maine.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Avoid I-87..take I-88 out of Binghamton, NY toward Albany
jabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel