Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #1

Traveling Oregon

How is the road (HWY 20) between Bend Oregon and Corvalis Oregon? Is it ok for a 32' Motorhome?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2021, 03:45 PM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, they don't call it Tombstone Pass for no reason.

It is doable but rather steep and windy. Road condition could be better. A lot will depend on your driving comfort.

IMO you would be better off to take OR 22 to I-5 then south to 34/20. Or 126 then I-105 to I-5. Both nice drives except for the freeway. Bad part is both of these routes were burned badly last year so you'll see lots of black and minor delays.

DO NOT take 242 out of Sisters. Open summer only. Narrow lanes, rough, and low branches. While you are under the length I wouldn't do it. If you do have a toad send a night in Sisters or Bend and day trip it. There is an observatory at the top short walk to top and well worth it. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/will...ea/?recid=4403 Great views if you hit a smoke free day. You can also make a loop back to Sisters.

EDIT: To clarify I am referring to Hy 20 west of the 126/22 split at the bottom of Santiam Pass.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:02 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I know I'm from Cape Cod but I have used that road many times. I have driven it in gas and diesel class As. You have to pay attention, there are lots of turns & ups & downs but nothing scary. I don't find it a bad ride and will be doing it in September.
I'm still waiting to see Big Foot cross the road in front of me, because the forest there sure looks like it has some in it.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #4

You'll have up to 6% grades for 10 miles or so. As to your question.... it's OK with your 32' MH. We've done it a few times with our 40' towing the Jeep. Just downshift before starting down so you don't have to lean on your brakes.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:21 PM   #5

Born and raised in Oregon, 22 is better, but also busier, in a 32ft, you can take 20, there is only about a 5 mile stretch that is sketchy. it can be harder getting through sisters then taking 20/
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:18 AM   #6

Sisters, in the summer is a tourist trap and it can often take 10 minutes or more to get through the 1/2 main strip, due mainly to pedestrians crossing the road and side street traffic trying to enter the Mai stream. Do not take the route to Santiago observatory in a RV. All the other roads are fine for what you want to do. Smoke is still bad here and there have been a few more fires west of the Cascades. If you’re driving through burned out areas, where trees are being dropped and speed limits have been reduced - drive the limit as I was through there a few weeks ago and the county sheriffs were making pretty good money on speeders.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Sisters, in the summer is a tourist trap and it can often take 10 minutes or more to get through the 1/2 main strip, due mainly to pedestrians crossing the road and side street traffic trying to enter the Mai stream. Do not take the route to Santiago observatory in a RV. All the other roads are fine for what you want to do. Smoke is still bad here and there have been a few more fires west of the Cascades. If you’re driving through burned out areas, where trees are being dropped and speed limits have been reduced - drive the limit as I was through there a few weeks ago and the county sheriffs were making pretty good money on speeders.
I remember living in Madras 20 years ago, there was all this talk about building a bypass around sisters. Nothing has ever happened.
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel