Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2020, 04:25 AM   #1

Traveling remote highways

In our trips out west, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, we typically travel alone on a lot of fairly remote roads in between stops, sometimes even out of cell range for short periods of time, and often times not seeing another vehicle for miles. We have always been aware of a potential breakdown that would leave us stranded. Given the current state of the civil unrest that appears to be growing and confined mostly to the larger cities, and apparently lawbreakers that are seemingly become more emboldened every day, I am considering how much at risk traveling these roads exposes us to at this time as presenting oneself to being a crime of opportunity? Would like to hear from others that travel these secondary roads in remote places as to their risk assessment.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 05:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by resullivan View Post
In our trips out west, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, we typically travel alone on a lot of fairly remote roads in between stops, sometimes even out of cell range for short periods of time, and often times not seeing another vehicle for miles. We have always been aware of a potential breakdown that would leave us stranded. Given the current state of the civil unrest that appears to be growing and confined mostly to the larger cities, and apparently lawbreakers that are seemingly become more emboldened every day, I am considering how much at risk traveling these roads exposes us to at this time as presenting oneself to being a crime of opportunity? Would like to hear from others that travel these secondary roads in remote places as to their risk assessment.
I would be more concerned about low hanging branches and narrow travel lanes. Good luck in your decision.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:34 AM   #3

You said it yourself "confined mostly to larger cities". I've always felt that most lawbreakers are lazy, and it is a lot of work to go out to the boonies in search of victims, therefore, I would think it is safer on those back roads, JMHO
Old 06-24-2020, 06:42 AM   #4

We travel the back roads quite often and I never gave your concerns that much thought. As far as hoodlums and law breakers are concerned, I have a secret weapon. No one will mess with me:
Attached Images

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
You said it yourself "confined mostly to larger cities". I've always felt that most lawbreakers are lazy, and it is a lot of work to go out to the boonies in search of victims, therefore, I would think it is safer on those back roads, JMHO
This is the answer.

Also, you wouldn't be stranded if you have a toad along and besides, road service could come to you, if needed.

That's how we travel, also. I sure wouldn't change it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
This is the answer.

Also, you wouldn't be stranded if you have a toad along and besides, road service could come to you, if needed.

That's how we travel, also. I sure wouldn't change it.

I never thought about it, but that’s one of the best reasons to have a toad. Cell service is pretty sketchy in some areas.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Personally, I'm more concerned with going through the larger cities ("some" more than others) than I am traveling more of the back roads. We recently HAD to go through Atlanta or go 200 miles out of the way, so I made sure I was VERY "prepared" and also took the interstates around the metro portion. Sometimes, traveling in these behemoths isn't conducive to taking rural roads and we must get close to the metro areas but I'd look for highways to bypass the more populous downtown areas. And sometimes that 100 mile or so detour might be a better option than getting caught in some possible civil strife. Be safe!
Old 06-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
I agree! Let's just hope all this stuff settles down soon and it never comes to the "boonies".

On a side note, if folks on here have never seen the movie "Race With the Devil", it's a must see. It's an old movie and sorta cheesy but is very eerie when you think about traveling thru some of these backwoods areas....
Old 06-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by resullivan View Post
In our trips out west....we typically travel alone on a lot of fairly remote roads in between stops, sometimes even out of cell range for short periods of time, and often times not seeing another vehicle for miles.
Oh and I wanted to add, most of time these "protesters" want the publicity which they won't likely get out in the boonies, so more reason not to be overly concerned with that issue. I'd be more concerned about a breakdown.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
…On a side note, if folks on here have never seen the movie "Race With the Devil", it's a must see. It's an old movie and sorta cheesy but is very eerie when you think about traveling thru some of these backwoods areas....

How about the movie Duel, with Dennis Weaver?
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #11

My bigger concern would be with traditionally friendly small towns being much more wary of strangers like yourselves who might be infected. I have seen it in the town of 10,000 where I live in Louisiana, and fear it may be even worse out west.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The protesters know that when the TV camera isn't there they could get hurt. Do what you need to do to protect yourself an your RV home.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #13

We have traveled over 120,000 miles in our "old" coach over the past 15 years.
Our choice for roads are the "old" US highways. They are generally well maintained and light on traffic. Plus seeing the towns, farms, interesting
local events and people, make traveling this way so much more
rewarding than the interstates.
Breakdowns, problems, Yes. One of the interesting challenges that make
RVing what it is.
Tire problems in Glen Ferry, Id. Alternator replacement in Nashville.
Idler pulley in Reading, Ca. Tires in Buffalo, Ny.
Bent Roadmaster tow bar in north New York state, which a local car shop
repaired and did not want any reward.
A few more items, but you get the idea.
Enjoy your travels. They make great memories.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
I agree! Let's just hope all this stuff settles down soon and it never comes to the "boonies".

On a side note, if folks on here have never seen the movie "Race With the Devil", it's a must see. It's an old movie and sorta cheesy but is very eerie when you think about traveling thru some of these backwoods areas....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
How about the movie Duel, with Dennis Weaver?
both good movies I would in no way worry about it. I guess maybe if you camped out next to the police department. thugs do not travel to cause trouble

Tags
remote, travel