Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just an update to our drive yesterday and today on I-10 from Duson, LA thru Houston and on down to Port Aransas.....

I-10 was really in good shape and not a bad drive with the following exceptions:

1. typical rough surfaces through the center of Baton Rouge
2. an absolutely horrible section just after you cross into Texas westbound. They are doing construction and the traffic was slowed to a crawl as it was forced into one lane. However, the road surface was so bad there would be no way anyone could drive near the speed limit in any case.

We stayed overnight at Houston East RV park Saturday night. We hit the road westbound at 09:00 after breakfast and fuel at Flying J. Driving into Houston on a Sunday AM was super easy. We took 69/59 thru downtown and never slowed. Now there was a lot of construction on 59 with some really narrow lanes and lots of Jersey barriers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Just an update to our drive yesterday and today on I-10 from Duson, LA thru Houston and on down to Port Aransas.....

I-10 was really in good shape and not a bad drive with the following exceptions:

1. typical rough surfaces through the center of Baton Rouge
2. an absolutely horrible section just after you cross into Texas westbound. They are doing construction and the traffic was slowed to a crawl as it was forced into one lane. However, the road surface was so bad there would be no way anyone could drive near the speed limit in any case.

We stayed overnight at Houston East RV park Saturday night. We hit the road westbound at 09:00 after breakfast and fuel at Flying J. Driving into Houston on a Sunday AM was super easy. We took 69/59 thru downtown and never slowed. Now there was a lot of construction on 59 with some really narrow lanes and lots of Jersey barriers.
thanks, Glen. did you have/need reservations at the Houston East park? as of right now our plan has us running thru Houston on a Saturday morning but we may adjust to do it on a Sunday. we like to stop for an extra day every few days.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
thanks, Glen. did you have/need reservations at the Houston East park? as of right now our plan has us running thru Houston on a Saturday morning but we may adjust to do it on a Sunday. we like to stop for an extra day every few days.
We did call a couple of days ahead to make a reservation at Houston East. However, they had several (6 or 7) empty spaces last night so not sure reservations are essential. I think Saturday would be fine as well.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:09 PM   #32

thanks, Glen.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #33

we're at Houston East RV park tonite (saturday) and will be heading thru Houston and SA tomorrow on our way to Buckhorn Lake in Kerrville tomorrow. we did the 210 bypass around Lake Charles which wasn't as rough as portions of I-55 and I-10 we had encountered over the previous 2-days but the section of I-10 west of Lake Charles...wow! i thought the MH was gonna shake itself apart.

we're gonna grab some gas at the Baytown Buc-ees in the morning and then on to Kerrville for a few days. haven't decided on barreling thru SA or doing the end-around but we'll top off the tank near or in SA one way or the other. barreling thru SA on a Sunday can't be a problem. looking forward to getting back to Kerrville and the hill country for a few days.

appreciate all your suggestions.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Traveling Thru Houston

How did you like all those rest stops crossing Louisiana? Oh, wait, there aren’t any.

We ran the same route last Sunday returning from Tampa RV show. Left campground just east of Pensacola and drove to Katy TX just west of Houston where we “camped” at Holiday World. Free 50 AMP. We bought our coach there, so we sorta know the place. There’s a Camping World next door and Ron Hoover RV just west of there and we sometimes stop over at those places too.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #35

yeah, we noticed that. our plans changed finding us ciming south on I-55 to I-12 at Hammond but we were both surprised that there were no rest stops between I-55 and the Texas border.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Traveling Thru Houston

The only rest stop in LA is at the Texas border, eastbound, and it has been closed for reconstruction for about two years now.

You’ll enjoy Buckhorn. We always do our Christmas rally there. Next week, we Rally in Bandera. Wednesday night at Cowboy Grill.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:13 AM   #37

Atchafalaya Basin Rest Area

Was this closed?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:12 AM   #38

now that you mention it i do recall seeing that sign. don’t know if it was closer or not.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #39

We spent the night in west bound last Thursday, Texas welcome ctr noisy and all roads are under construction.
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #40

Drove from Ingram, TX to Baytown, TX about two weeks ago. Took Loop 1604 around San Antonio and straight through Houston on I-10. Hit I-10 in Houston heading East about 3pm. Not as bad as I expected. Traffic kept moving with only one "stop" just before the I-45 exits off of I-10. The 610 loop would have been very stop and go at that hour.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #41

Over the last last several decades it seems every time the state of Louisiana had a budget crisis (which was often) the first thing that would get closed down were the rest areas on the interstate highways. Over the years during these long term budget crisis the rest areas fell into disrepair and one by one they have been being removed over the last decade or so. On I-10 there is still the one in the middle of the state near Henderson (or at least it was still there last time I drove through) along the Atchafalaya basin causeway, the east bound Welcome center at the Texas line is in the process of major re-construction, and of course going west bound there is a nice one as you enter Texas.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #42

With the availability of truck stops at most X-way exits, state sponsored rest areas are disappearing at a fast rate. Can't stop progress.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel