Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Traveling to Florida

We are planning our maiden voyage, Fleetwood Bounder 33U, named Polaris, to Tampa Florida. Leaving Huntley, IL on March 13.The plan is to dewinterize here and drive south. Looks like the weather is going to be iffy. How cold does it have to get to cause freezing problems? Anyone living along the route.. from Chicago through Indiana Kentucky Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, who can shed some light on mid to late March weather?
jamesvinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #2

We're camping in NC at the moment and last night it was 27*.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

When we travel South in January, we put the water in the coach in Kentucky. We take a two gallon container of water to use the toilet. Of course it depends on the weather.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
The low temperture this morning was 27F in Covington, GA ( 35MI east of Atlanta). We've had our largest snow storm on record in March. ...
That said (written), I'd suggest you ask the folks at the camp grounds you plan to use along the route and dial their responses back a notch.

At any rate, I think you'll have a fun trip, providing you don't over-do the driving in any one day.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvinton View Post
We are planning our maiden voyage, Fleetwood Bounder 33U, named Polaris, to Tampa Florida. Leaving Huntley, IL on March 13.The plan is to dewinterize here and drive south. Looks like the weather is going to be iffy. How cold does it have to get to cause freezing problems? Anyone living along the route.. from Chicago through Indiana Kentucky Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, who can shed some light on mid to late March weather?
It's been in the 30's at night here in Florida for the past couple days. Supposed to get a lot warmer this week.
NWS

The real problem with freezing will be driving down the road. The exposed plumbing can be subjected to wind chill freezing. For the most part that would be the sewer and drain lines.
majorloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jamesvinton,
I do not know the Bounder. If your water utilities are inside the coach and basement you should be fine. Do you have coach furnace heat into the utility bay? If not, consider placing a small heater in the utility bay, when parked. To answer your question, exposed fruit will freeze after about 6 hours in 29 degree weather. This means the temp would need to get into the upper teens for an extended time (many hours) to freeze water an unheated part of your coach.

Consider placing a saucer of water in the utility bay. In my coach, the water will freeze before anything else.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Folks, I live near you in Lake County and I take I 57 to I 24 then to I 75 Its a little longer but I80-94 is terrible as well as I 65. Don't dewinterize till you get to Florida. Carry some water in rig so you can wash or use toliet. Maybe if weather permits you could dewinterize in Georgia. Hope this heips. I'm in Fl. now and as others have said it was 30 degrees in Orlando last night.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trip to FLorida

We are experiencing "THE BIGGEST SNOWSTORM OF THE YEAR" so our schedule has to be redone. Can't even get Polaris out of the barn for the next few days and with the weather the way it is, I cannot imagine driving. Fortunately we have the flexibility to change plans. Ya know, Maybe Al Gore was right?? How scary is that?
jamesvinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't worry, you're not missing much. I mean, it's only going to be 72 today......with totally blue skies....no clouds. And really, the water and the sunsets, I mean they're probably over-rated anyway, right?
<snicker>

Ok, ok...just kiddin'. I hope you do make it down and thankfully you weren't here this past weekend because it was kinda miserable. Got down to 47 last night overnight. Postponing your trip can only be a plus as the weather's getting better around here. Don't forget to come across the bay and visit us on the Clearwater side of things too when you do make it down.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #10

Hi, you should also be concerned about driving your rig on winter roads that have been salted. If you do, make sure you thoroughly wash and clean the underside of the coach as well as the regular exterior. If not expect rust issues later on. I worry about freshly (wet) salted roads and the long term effect more than the temperature. We are due for some better weather so keep the faith, I wish you a happy , safe trip.
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Dynadave;1487076]Hi, you should also be concerned about driving your rig on winter roads that have been salted. If you do, make sure you thoroughly wash and clean the underside of the coach as well as the regular exterior. If not expect rust issues later on. QUOTE]
Here in Minnesota, I think its a law, you have to have at least one fender well rusted.. jk
LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Just made the drive from Middletown, OH to Fort Lauderdale through winter storm nemo. We filled the fresh water tank before leaving and set the furnace to 65 for the drive. Kept snow and temps in the 20 until we hit northern Georgia. No issues other then snow covered roads lead to an average speed of 24.4 mph for close to 200 miles.

All plumbing worked fine, even the outside faucet.

Now need to get a wash crew in to remove the salt.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I meant winter storm Saturn
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida