Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Travelling NJ to FL want to avoid DC area

Travelling to FL from NJ in April and have few ways I like to go but thoght I would ask others who may have a better way. I would really like to avoid Philly, Baltimore, and Washington DC areas. Any suggestions would be great. By the way I am located in western central NJ about 1 hour west of NYC.

Thanks in advance
ExChief45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Take I-287 to I-78 west to Harrisburg, then I-81 South. You can either cut back to I-95 south of DC using I-66 and US17 (shorter), or continue south on I-81 (nice ride) to I-77 south to I-26 south to I-95 near Charleston.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #3

Cape May ferry and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge? Otherwise, I don't see how you could avoid Philly or Baltimore, other than local or State or US routes, to get to Harrisburg to I-81S.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #4

I live in South Jersey and would suggest 31 to Int 295; Int 295 South to Del Memorial then follow the roads to Rt. 1 towards the Christiana Mall rd. and then pick up 13 to 301 which will take you down the eastern shore across Kent Island over the Bay Bridge at Annapolis and then down the eastern shore of Md and eventually you can pick up 95 south of Richmond. Its a little longer but no city driving. I just did Fl and used 95 and went around dc on the beltway and it doesn't bother me. I time it so I hit them either before or in beween rush hours and have motored thru with no problems. If you do use 95 you have to use the Key Bridge and can't go thru tunnels because of your propane. If you use the other route there is no tunnel so no propane issues.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #5

See post #2. That's how I do Western MA.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Take I-287 to I-78 west to Harrisburg, then I-81 South. You can either cut back to I-95 south of DC using I-66 and US17 (shorter), or continue south on I-81 (nice ride) to I-77 south to I-26 south to I-95 near Charleston.
Thanks, I have taken 81 to 77 to 26 several times. I was looking at the 66 to 17 but wasn't sure if 17 was a highway or went through small towns.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We did the same thing as denverth, took our time stayed at some nice campgrounds on the way down.

Really cheap diesel fuel also.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExChief45 View Post
Travelling to FL from NJ in April and have few ways I like to go but thoght I would ask others who may have a better way. I would really like to avoid Philly, Baltimore, and Washington DC areas. Any suggestions would be great. By the way I am located in western central NJ about 1 hour west of NYC.

Thanks in advance
Having made the drive from Annapolis to Central Jersey for a number of Years while one son was in College, we found a few things that were critical for US to make the trip Easy.

Timing and day of the week was critical - along with Direction for Tolls - Bay Bridge has tolls ($) Northbound - Delaware MB has tolls ($$$) Southbound - Sunday Morning before Noon you can drive through Philadelphia with little to No Traffic. I-95 has tolls that are just a PITA, especially with many axles ($$) with many RV's with a Toad.

So we would go up the Eastern Shore of Maryland on RT 301 and across DMB Northbound (No Toll) to I-295 (No Toll) to Lawrenceville, in traffic on Friday evenings.

Map North - https://binged.it/2HttAeN

We would watch the Saturday Game and Spend the Night in the Parking lot returning Home on Sunday Morning driving through Philadelphia on I-95 - this is the only time that I was able to find little to no traffic in Philly

Map South - https://binged.it/2HzljFV

Then getting off at the Chrisianna exit (#7?) head south to Bay Bridge - no Toll - and home.

Keep in mind that in the Summer the Bay Bridge has Sunday Traffic Late in the day.

Possible to continue south on 301 - Traffic - Lights - Slow - or on down I-95, missing half of DC beltway.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #9

We've either taken I-95 into Delaware and picked up US-301 and taken that all the way to I-95 near Richmond. Or gone down DE-1 to US 13 over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel into Virginia Beach and then taken 58 out to I-95 near the NC border.

There are a couple spots with traffic and lights on either route, but it's not too bad if you avoid high traffic hours.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks all for the tips. I will be sure to try them all when I get a chance. Since I live on I78 about 15 miles from PA, I think we will try I78 to I81 to I66 to 17 for this trip.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExChief45 View Post
Thanks all for the tips. I will be sure to try them all when I get a chance. Since I live on I78 about 15 miles from PA, I think we will try I78 to I81 to I66 to 17 for this trip.
Having made this trip many times, I think the I78 to I81 choice is the less stressful, not the shortest, but from your start point, it's a no brainer.

Hope you enjoy your trip

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:05 AM   #12

I usually leave at around midnight just so I get through dc without any traffic concerns. Although we also used to do the drive straight through, I don't think I could do that anymore...
DHener84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:30 AM   #13

take 287 over to jersey turnpike all the way down to end. go over delaware memorial bridge; 95 south down to lower delaware (rt 113 south). on 113 till Pokomoke, MD and follow 13 s to chesapeake bridge tunnel to VA Beach. stay on road for a few miles after bridge tunnel, follow signs for 64E; ! this is important, you have to go east on 64 to get to 58 west to Suffolk. then follow signs for Emporia. this is where you pick up 95 south again. I do this all the time from Delaware and have travelled up to Lake George via the turnpike and 287, so know the roads well. you can pm me if you want add'l info for good exits etc to stop at
BikerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #14

Avoiding speeding tickets

2 suggestions for anyone planning any trip which may include small towns (especially NC to FL). DO NOT want to hijack this thread, but observation based on living in NC, SC, & GA.

WAZE app installed(& used) on your phone. Realize MHs don't tend to speed, but under 55 speeding tickets are just as problematic.

NMA has a great resource: https://www.motorists.org/issues/speed-traps/
Last summer this saved me 2 tickets in GA. Suwanee, GA is notorious for revenue generation via speeding tickets. 9 AM on a Saturday, divided unpopulated (industrial-business) 4 lane connector posted at 35 (locally it would be a 45mph area). 2 radar units in 2 miles, WAZE & NMA both were $$ savers.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel