Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #43

You might want to contact the North Rim. I believe the park doesn't actually close but there would be no services. You could still stay there if you have full water tank and empty grey/black.
When snow occurs, they will close.

We've been there mid-Oct but stayed at nearby DeMotte national forest campground which is right outside the national park entrance. The area is gorgeous in Oct. because the aspens will be in full color.

I'd give it a try - calling when you leave the Balloon Fest to get an update on conditions. If it is closed, Zion Nat'l Park is very close.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #44

Just saying, the Canyon takes on a whole different perspective after a snow. It's awesome. It's like someone sprinkled powdered sugar all down the walls of the cliffs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #45

It would be a shame to make that trip without spending some time in the Colorado San Juan Skyway area, especially in the fall when the aspen trees are turning. It's (almost) on the way and would only add a few weeks to your vacation....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #46

I think we have decided to shorten our trip and get where we can still see the North Rim before they close on October 15th. My plans now is to leave Albuquerque and head straight to the North Rim. We would then go to Zion and Bryce before heading back South to the South rim and back home.

I now need to decide to either find a central RV park between Zion and Bryce or do two separate campgrounds.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #47

I have backed off of this trip due to the cost of it. But now that the fuel prices has dropped I have started to check into it again. Being I may have weather issues by going the North route I am rethinking the South route. I was concerned with the hot temps while going across Texas.

I checked into the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta reservations and the first weekend is sold out. So I will try the second weekend. I don't know if it is as good or not. Tentatively we would leave around the last of August and get back home around the end of October for a total of 58 nights.

As I dig into my route more I may be asking some more questions. For now the route from our home in SE Louisiana will go to Houston, San Antonio, Tucson, Flagstaff, North & South rims of the Grand Canyon, into Utah, back down to Albuquerque and then back home going through Oklahoma, Arkansas, Memphis and then back home.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #48

I'm really surprised the Balloon Fest is sold out. That might be for the full hookups but consider the dry camping. That's what we did and we had balloons landing right in front of us. There's a free shuttle that will pick you up near your RV because it tours the whole area picking up passengers. It only takes a few minutes to get to the festival grounds. Consider the dry camping. Just come with your fresh water filled and the other tanks empty. They even have a water and sewer service that will come to your RV.

As far as the two weekends. They are about the same. All the balloonists stay for the whole time. You won't miss anything.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:29 AM   #49

Amy idea about the power? One place shows 30 where another shows 20. I have done rally style with 30 with not issues, but I don't know about 20. I have never done dry camping where I have to run the geneator because my MH is not setup for this properly.

I can get the last three nights with power if I act quick.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #50

We stayed in the preferred sites, next to entrance, on a gravel parking lot, no hock-ups, $65.00 a night. Friends stayed across the street in parking lot, with electricity, for $35.00 a night, but had to pay daily entrance fee of $10.00 a person.\, bringing it to $65.00/nite, but had electricity. Free shuttle to entrance. One couple signed up for the "Chase team", and did nit have to pay daily entrance fee. They totally enjoyed it. In our site, way in back, we had to walk to entrance, no golf carts came by. The lot across the street takes you to the entrance, so if walking is a factor, it may influence your decision
the baloony thing is quite a thing to see up close. you will be glad you did it, even at $65.00 a nite..
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #51

Here's the RV information for the Balloon Fiesta. It states the Premium sites are $65 with 30A and water. If you have questions, call the balloon office. They are helpful.

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta - RV Information