Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

Tucson to show low, best roads

We secured a space in show low for four months. I have a half ton dodge with a hemi towing a 7000 lb travel trailer. I was wondering if there are some members who could tell me the best way? I'm considering running i-10 up to Mesa, taking hwy 87/260 through Payson then on to destination. I kind of like this as there will be small towns and gasoline available. I know it's farther, but looking at Google maps, the most direct and shortest way depicts a bunch of switchbacks. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks Gary
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #2

we left mesa a few days ago for home in tbe chicago burbs. we're in a 2016 40' class A gasser towing a jeep suv...about 12-tons GCWR. our route of choice is almost always 87/266/277/377/77 to Holbrook where we pickup I-40. the road to payson us 4-lane and in good shape. i didn't run up the climbs at the posted speeds but i did climb them. a mix of 2 and 4-lane on the other side of Payson. the only horrible section of our road was 377 but you won't be going that way.

when we passed thru Payson i expected to see a ghost town. far from it. lots of traffic, lots of people. looked like everything was open. restaurants were adverising drive thru or curbside, some offered delivery. that would be my choice of route if i was you.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:01 PM   #3

Tucson - take 77 to 60 at Globe. Fuel there. Then 60 to Show Low. You'll have a downhill at Salt River Canyon between Globe and Show Low and then an uphill to get out of the Canyon. Just downshift before heading down - not in the midst of the downhill. At the bottom is a large parking area at the river. It's a beautiful drive. It's a very popular route for RVers to escape the summer heat.

You certainly don't have to go all the way to Mesa and fight the traffic and additional miles. 87 to Payson is a long uphill.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #4

i'd second what twogypsies said. route 60 is more direct from tucson.

i live in payson and there is nothing wrong with the route 87 & 260 route. but it will be longer for you.

now about the grades. any route you take is going to have grades on it as there is a very significant elevation change from tucson to show low. now way around it. just respect them, slow down, downshift, and pay attention.

there are plenty of places to get fuel in either globe (route 60) or payson (route 87/260). we were in globe in march and found fuel to be less expensive there than it was at payson.

enjoy!
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote